Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,445 times

Advertisements

I see that Spokane is notably "left-leaning," based on voter registration stats. Is this indicative of modest education levels and Faux News zombies, or just the general darkness of the area? I'm dark and am fine with intelligent liberalism, but not anti-religious dogma, especially the environmental-regulation/Government-will-take-care-of-everything mindset.

Some stats show Spokane as being overly religious; is that true, and a good sign for the intellect aspect?

I am not bashing Spokane at all, as I've seen the government type mentality in Sacramento for decades. There are people who are government types because they're "insecure" and like control, and others who just don't aspire to anything intellectual. I want to live in an area with mostly dark folk, but not mindless global warming worshippers, etc.

I know these questions are subjective, and this forum might draw some of the more intellectually-inclined people, skewing the answers (I can tell by spelling & grammar). Has anyone met a big enough cross section of Spokaners to make a sound judgement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
I know you're putting us all on, but I can't resist chiming in.

Most of my frineds in Spokane are leftwingers (I`m not). But you know, they're not so bad as long as they can get over to Seattle once in a while and mingle with like-minded folks. That charges up their little batteries so that they can come back to Spokaloosa and deal with all us right-wing dittohead wingnuts who generalize, discriminate against others, and engage in namecalling.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:49 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMexican View Post
I see that Spokane is notably "left-leaning," based on voter registration stats. Is this indicative of modest education levels and Faux News zombies, or just the general darkness of the area? I'm dark and am fine with intelligent liberalism, but not anti-religious dogma, especially the environmental-regulation/Government-will-take-care-of-everything mindset.

Some stats show Spokane as being overly religious; is that true, and a good sign for the intellect aspect?

I am not bashing Spokane at all, as I've seen the government type mentality in Sacramento for decades. There are people who are government types because they're "insecure" and like control, and others who just don't aspire to anything intellectual. I want to live in an area with mostly dark folk, but not mindless global warming worshippers, etc.

I know these questions are subjective, and this forum might draw some of the more intellectually-inclined people, skewing the answers (I can tell by spelling & grammar). Has anyone met a big enough cross section of Spokaners to make a sound judgement?
Mindless parody of my original post, eh? Not hard to figure out what your angle is, but I'm white and not really a "liberal." Not into affirmative action, etc. I just can't deal with ignorant people who suffer from Dunning-Kruger disease.

The original question was asked because of Spokane's proximity to Idaho, a state with a reputation for large numbers of anti-science types who quote other people out of context, whine about taxes (as if guv'mint is optional and no other problem exists on this planet), and pretend that America is awash in oil and we simply need to turn half of it into a drilling/fracking moonscape to set ourselves free from OPEC. That's not my personal vision of progress, i.e. wallowing in filth.

Do you know any of those people, Pepe? Those are the types I'd rather not be stuck in a lunchroom with, if I did find a job up there. Too depressing to be around non-thinkers.

I think it's time to get off this forum and spend some real time in Spokane if it looks viable.

Last edited by ca_north; 06-24-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I know you're putting us all on, but I can't resist chiming in.

Most of my frineds in Spokane are leftwingers (I`m not). But you know, they're not so bad as long as they can get over to Seattle once in a while and mingle with like-minded folks. That charges up their little batteries so that they can come back to Spokaloosa and deal with all us right-wing dittohead wingnuts who generalize, discriminate against others, and engage in namecalling.
For me, it's all about being around people who live in the real world where scientific evidence (as determined by actual scientists, not talk show hosts) matters, and elections don't hinge on all-taxes-are-evil conspiracy theories. I'd call that intelligent conservatism, which is sadly lacking in today's Creationist-tainted Republican Party.

I suppose there's no way to know who's who without living in a town for years, and even then you can only meet a fraction of the people, or interpret things they've said and written.

One wonders if most these questions are a waste of time, except for weather-related stuff, cost of living, and neighborhoods to avoid. That's been the best info I've gotten from this forum. Time to bail for a while and hit the pavement of reality.

Last edited by ca_north; 06-24-2012 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
For me, it's all about being around people who live in the real world where scientific evidence (as determined by actual scientists, not talk show hosts) matters, and elections don't hinge on all-taxes-are-evil conspiracy theories. I'd call that intelligent conservatism, which is sadly lacking in today's Creationist-tainted Republican Party.
I largely agree. Just as the need for an understanding of how easy it is for a government to turn its own people into dependent children is lacking among the jackass party.

Quote:
I suppose there's no way to know who's who without living in a town for years, and even then you can only meet a fraction of the people, or interpret things they've said and written.
So true. But even then, you might meet someone who rocks your world with their perceptivenes and the elegance of their philosophic observations. There are epiphanies going on all the time -- they're what makes life worth living. Even for real scientists.

Quote:
One wonders if most these questions are a waste of time, except for weather-related stuff, cost of living, and neighborhoods to avoid. That's been the best info I've gotten from this forum. Time to bail for a while and hit the pavement of reality.
You just feel that way because you haven't been reading my posts. Or David Aguilars' . Or a few other people who hang out here from time to time. "Size of sample", remember? And it doesn't help that that chip on your shoulder is obviously from a sequoia.

If I were a relgious person, I'd advise you to hie thee hence to the Seattle forum, wherein thou wouldst find a multitude of those who share kinship with thine attitudes, and where thou wouldst be safe from the phillistines who worship the fatted calf of the Inland Empire. But I'm not. So I won't.

There are diamonds in the mud in this here forum. You just gotta work at finding 'em. Heck, even a liberal can understand that!

Last edited by Yeledaf; 06-24-2012 at 08:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Having lived in Spokane and Coeur d'Alene they are definitely slacked jawed.

However, the good news is that there are so few of them that it is really not an issue.

And most people in the area are VERY tolerant of weird people. The key to acceptance is to let other people live THEIR lives.

It is much easier to be a liberal in a conservative community than a conservative in a liberal community.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It is much easier to be a liberal in a conservative community than a conservative in a liberal community.
Very well said!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
So very true. Reps to you.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,738 times
is it cuz liburals are more flexable and tolurant?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
is it cuz liburals are more flexable and tolurant?
Actually, it's because conservatives are willing to overlook, among other things, their atrocious orthography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area