Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, but my point was not to necessarily compare Seattle to Spokane, though I did use that as an example. My principle point is Spokane is the 2nd largest city in the State of Washington, yet it seems stagnant, except for Spokane Valley. I just wonder how this will determine how downtown Spokane will grow. (The title of this thread, along with South Hill)

The South Hill seems fine, and continues to grow at a moderate level.

Downtown, though is in danger of becoming irrelevant unless they can increase residential and commercial. I see little evidence of this.
Man, I don't know if you've been following these threads very closely, but the renovation of the Macy building, the plans for West Main, the Bing and the Met theaters, the sparkling new Davenport Grand complex, the University District growth (including the new Med School), the complete redevelopment of Riverfront Park, Kendall Yards -- whose residential component feeds the downtown -- and the overall energy of central city are substantial steps forward from previous years.

If you're looking for skyscapers and major pro sports facilities, I agree that Spokane is not going to get there in our lifetime, but there is a lot to be said for low-glitz, tasteful growth like that going on in dear old Spokaloo.

Then there's the hassle factor: frankly, Seattle exhausts me. Half a day spent in traffic to visit place A. Half a day to visit place B. And I'm out a couple hundred bucks. In Spokane, those are not issues. It's easy to get anywhere, prices are reasonable, and you're not going to be forced to smell urine and step over bodies whenever you go downtown.

But then again, maybe I'm just inclined toward Spokane's simpler, slower pace, now that I'm a boof...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I do like your humor. And I like your passion.

FYI, I don't live in my native Seattle anymore, but I will always have affection for my hometown, despite the urine smells and bodies? I will always root for the Hawks, Mariners, and Dawgs. (The Cougs seem to be a lost cause after only 2 games)...

I prefer an up and coming area, and that is why I now live in Tri-Cities. I own real estate here, and am feeling pretty good about that at this point.

I just think Spokane can do better. When I drive up there I feel like I am entering a somewhat stagnant area. But like I said, when I get into Spokane Valley, it feels much more growth-oriented.

Perhaps I am not so anti-Spokane, as I am pro-Washington. As in I think our 2nd city could do better.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
I do like your humor. And I like your passion.

FYI, I don't live in my native Seattle anymore, but I will always have affection for my hometown, despite the urine smells and bodies? I will always root for the Hawks, Mariners, and Dawgs. (The Cougs seem to be a lost cause after only 2 games)...

I prefer an up and coming area, and that is why I now live in Tri-Cities. I own real estate here, and am feeling pretty good about that at this point.

I just think Spokane can do better. When I drive up there I feel like I am entering a somewhat stagnant area. But like I said, when I get into Spokane Valley, it feels much more growth-oriented.

Perhaps I am not so anti-Spokane, as I am pro-Washington. As in I think our 2nd city could do better.
Points well-made.

And don't get me wrong: I LOVE Seattle. I just wish I had a chauffeur, a fiduciary, and a nurse to take care of me when I visit. As it is, my wife and I are headed to Montana tomorrow to get away from the hustle and bustle of Spokane for a few days. Born and bred in the Philadelphia area, I guess I'm finally a real Westerner at last!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 PM

I think you are a real "Westerner". Never let that go! Have a great trip.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:34 PM

226 posts, read 303,197 times
Quote:

It's a totally different kind of "up and coming". It's almost 100% suburban sprawl. There is no sense of downtown vibrancy or growth in any of the three "cities".

Sure, if you've an aging baby boomer and want to buy up some property to use as rental investments then yeah it's probably gonna be ok. If you're 25-35 and want fun things to do then you'll be spending a lot of time in Spokane or Seattle on the weekends.

Source: I used to live there.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 PM

OK, that's fair. But the real estate market is red hot and has been for the past couple of years. Still affordable, but still growing.

Source: I live here.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 PM

75 posts, read 73,474 times
I left Spokane in May and moved down to the tri-cities No regrets I only miss Zips and Riverside state park. People are introverts and spend a lot of time alone in their homes. I was and happy to leave.

I got tired of Spokane. High crime, no police, homeless people everywhere. Meth use and legal pot everywhere.

Not much culture. Spokane is mostly white people.

I find the people in the tri-cities friendlier then Spokane people.If you are younger and single forget it. Retired or a family would work. I enjoy the Hispanic culture here and the Mexican restaurants are fantastic. The real state market is peaking everywhere in Washington. I sold my house in Spokane in 3 days
A half acre lot in West Pasco will cost you 65,000 dollars. You get to look at brown hills with no trees.
The parks here are beautiful, also great bike paths. No marijuana shops either which I prefer. The 3 cities are each different so there is no major downtown.

Last edited by batemansbay; 09-19-2016 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 PM

Don't miss Zips...three locations in the Tri.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:08 PM

75 posts, read 73,474 times
Quote:
Don't miss Zips...three locations in the Tri.
I went today. Have a great night

Old 09-21-2016, 03:06 PM

596 posts, read 428,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batemansbay View Post
Not much culture. Spokane is mostly white people.

You didn't look hard enough for culture, what a slap in the face to the minority populations here. Must have stayed inside your house.

Culture to you is more Mexican restaurants or just less white people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area