Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:07 PM

206 posts, read 333,260 times

Advertisements

The heatwave is bad enough. Spokane just broke its' own record by sweltering in 90-plus degree temperatures for over 14 days in a row. Tomorrow calls for a high of 100 and is forecast to be “generally sunny,” that is if you can actually see the sun through the filthy blanket of haze and smog smothering the region.

Today, Spokane’s air quality index is at 166. To paraphrase local news journalist, Rob Harris, that’s more than double Los Angeles' current aggregate in the 60’s, and even surpasses Beijing China (you know, the city where people wear smog masks) currently weighing in at 154.

Both regions are notorious for bad air quality, but Spokane is worse. In fact, Spokane air quality is so unhealthy that people of all persuasions (not just children, the elderly and health-compromised) are being advised to avoid outdoor activity until the index falls below 150.

Note to new readers: my content is frequently met with fierce opposition from parties (investors, business owners, real estate flippers, etc.) who stand to $profit$ by luring people to the greater Spokane region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
It will be gone by Sunday....

Old 08-11-2017, 04:41 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Is it smog or is it smoke from the forest fires in canada?

Old 08-11-2017, 06:44 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Your use of the adjective "smog" is erroneous, what is polluting the air is accurately called smoke and the source is wild fires that are burning in B.C. Canada, Montana, Washington and Idaho. This, of course, is temporary.

Once again you are bent on vilifying the Spokane area with your alarmist diatribe.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Like AK76 mentioned - this extraordinary situation of regional wildfire smoke from BC causing temporary poor air quality is completely different than the semi-permanent poor air quality of LA or Beijing, which is the result of local and constant production of pollutants from cars and industry. You're comparing apples to oranges.

But, of course, I'm a Realtor-In-Disguise, so I must have an ulterior motive for defending Spokane. Even though I don't live there...

Last edited by PS90; 08-11-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 08:44 AM

526 posts, read 386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
It will be gone by Sunday....
INVESTOR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is it smog or is it smoke from the forest fires in canada?
BUSINES OWNER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Your use of the adjective "smog" is erroneous, what is polluting the air is accurately called smoke and the source is wild fires that are burning in B.C. Canada, Montana, Washington and Idaho. This, of course, is temporary.

Once again you are bent on vilifying the Spokane area with your alarmist diatribe.
R E A L E S T A T E F L I P P E R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Like AK76 mentioned - this extraordinary situation of regional wildfire smoke from BC causing temporary poor air quality is completely different than the semi-permanent poor air quality of LA or Beijing, which is the result of local and constant production of pollutants from cars and industry. You're comparing apples to oranges.

But, of course, I'm a Realtor-In-Disguise, so I must have an ulterior motive for defending Spokane. Even though I don't live there...
Eyes suspiciously, YOU know who you are.

Last edited by LesserSeneca; 08-11-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Not to threadjack, but do the Palouse farmers still burn their crops after harvest?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Not to threadjack, but do the Palouse farmers still burn their crops after harvest?
I think that was the Idaho border farmers. And no, they don't.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
That is correct.

I sure do wish that the late summer fires were less of a regular occurrence, though. The pleasant summer weather in Spokane has a short enough duration as it is.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I think that was the Idaho border farmers. And no, they don't.
Thanks, I wasn't sure anymore.
When I lived there it was part of summer. It marked the end of summer and the start of school. Sometimes the smoke would come into town and settle into the bowl Spokane sits in. Luckily I didn't have asthma but I had some friends who did and they hated the smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area