Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 69,720 times

Advertisements

Hi! We also live in SoCal and are moving to Spokane in July too! What are your main reasons for leaving? Have you visited Spokane more than once, or was this winter your first trip?
Are you planning to rent or buy when you get there?
Do you know the main differences between living in Spokane and SPokane Valley-- like Veradale?
Thanks for any help you may have!
Sarah Jackson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM

33 posts, read 213,181 times
Default I don't live in Spokane, but I've visited there on and off for over 25 years...

Hi Sarah J.:

Sorry for the confusion, but I don't live in Spokane. We moved to Walla Walla, WA, 6 years ago after living in SoCal for 3 years then in Nevada City, in Northern CA, for 3 years. Before that I lived in Seattle for 20 years. I've hiked and camped throughout Washington State from the Rain Forest in the Ho area, to Ocean Shores, to Okanagan, to Spokane, to the Columbia Gorge and pretty much all over. Been to the Concerts in George, WA, and the Hendrixx museum in Seattle. Been to much of Spokane, and even bought two alpacas in Nine Mile Falls, north of Spokane.

Spokane has a lot going for it, as does the Spokane Valley, but I've never lived there. I've spent weekends and vacations in and around the area, but mostly in campgrounds and the occasional restaurant. But then I've lived in the state for over 25 years.

The main reasons we left California was stress by the preponderance of people living there, the traffic (or should I say parking lots) on the freeways, the long commutes, no seasonal changes worth mentioning, it's very, very expensive, and property was too expensive, plus we know someone here whom my husband went into business with, so it was worth the move. We're happy we move here because it doesn't get much snow. We've had 3-4" this whole winter and most of it melted in a few weeks. I hate shoveling having grown up in WI with 20' of snow in the winter and the wind chills. I love skiing, but we'd both rather drive to the ski resorts than to have to do major shoveling by living in it.

The snow drop varies in Spokane from year to year and I've heard this is a huge year for snow. I'm not sure how much sunshine you will have in the winter as well, which can become very disturbing to Californians who've been born and raised down south. You might consider living some place in the state with more sunshine: Sequim (pronounced Squim like Skwim, not like Sequin). They get 364 days of sunshine a year. Even Walla Walla gets more sunshine than Spokane in the winter. My husband told me that he didn't want to live in Seattle because of all the grayness and rain, and it worked out that Walla Walla met our needs.

Now if the reason you're moving here is School, that's a good reason to live up there. It's cheaper to live in the area you're going to school. Actually, there's another person on the list who's also going to school in Spokane and one that went to school there. Now they'd be the people you should ask questions of. I went to college in Stout, WI, so...don't know much of the school's except for the University of WA in Seattle and Whitman College here.

Good luck with your move in July, but July is very different than the winters. If you can, get a chance to come up while there's still snow on the ground so you can see if you like it. Check out the weather now and the temp to see if it meets your needs, but again, if you're moving due to school, well, it won't be for your whole life...

Take care and Good luck.

Jet

Old 03-07-2008, 08:29 PM

47 posts, read 134,342 times
Hey Ya'll, Southern Utah/LV gal here and anticipating moving to Spokane in a few years when my man retires. ( I still get to work and support us in a style we'll have to get used to). It's interesting to read the local take on the snow there. I'm insulated R-30 so well conditioned for the snow but my husband has lived in Vegas for 25 years or so and may groan about it for a while. I think the access to water and cooler (this is relative considering the 2,000 degree days in Vegas) weather of the NW and access to the mountains or rivers may compensate for the snowy winters. He likes cool man tools so would be first in line to buy a snow blower. It looks like he'd put some mileage on it.

Right now we have a Subaru Outback and a Saturn but anticipate having to replace them in the next three years. What vehicles seem to work best in the climate variances you'all get there? I really like my roo but a new one would require me getting a second husband or a second job, and I'm pretty sure my first husband would have a problem with either one.

I look forward to hearing from you on this forum.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,599 times
My current Subaru is fantastic for the climate. It is a great snow car and comes in handy for getting out and doing outdoors stuff. That said, I've done fine with standard front wheel drive sedans as well. The winter the cars you want to avoid are rear wheel drive and some pickups (lack of weight over rear wheels).

Old 02-16-2011, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 12,095 times
little to no snow in the tri-cities???? when I lived there we had several feet of accumulated snow during december and january and it was hot and dry in summer (which was nice but it got VERY VERY HOT). another poster mentioned sequim, washington has 364 days of sunshine???? I can hardly believe that considering it is practically surrounded by water, straight of juan de fuca, pacific ocean and the puget sound... sounds like a recipe for RAIN RAIN RAIN and gray gray skies to me. I lived in Aberdeen and ocean shores, wa, both gray gray gray little armpits to live in. Aberdeen is old and run down, wet wet mildewy moldy rat infested armpit, we had two horrible floods while living there and had a severe rat problem! Ocean shores is a nice place to visit but not live, NO grocery stores, no entertainment, no community centers or pools nothing for families to do, not that you would want to because its windy and rainy most of the year! totally depressing! I am so sick of RAIN all the time RAIN!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 PM

19 posts, read 37,451 times
Default Actually... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by googie View Post
I think the driving here is very bad, but where I'm from they take very good care of the roads. I've noticed that only the main roads in Spokane get any plowing whatsover. I've been stuck in our house the entire week because no plowing was done in our development or on Hatch Road. Everyone told us to get an SUV with studded snow tires (which we didn't), but just today an SUV with studded snow tires skidded into my husband's car and dented it so there goes that theory. Since this is our first winter out here, I don't know if this is the first year they've neglected to care for the roads or whether every winter is like this. I told my husband I refuse to spend another winter out here. Sorry if this isn't good news, but I wish someone had told me this before we moved all the way out here. I also heard on the news that there were over 200 collisions on Tuesday due to poor road conditions.
I want a very realistic view on this. I went to Spokane in the spring and loved it but this is sounding, the more I see and read, too tough on me. (Single mom of 2, broken right wrist resulting in tendonitis... I can't shovel)... sigh. Well, the search continues... but thanks!!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpahd View Post
I want a very realistic view on this. I went to Spokane in the spring and loved it but this is sounding, the more I see and read, too tough on me. (Single mom of 2, broken right wrist resulting in tendonitis... I can't shovel)... sigh. Well, the search continues... but thanks!!
Well, if your heart is set on Spokaloo, you might seek a guy with a snowblower who likes kids.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 PM

19 posts, read 37,451 times
Default lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Well, if your heart is set on Spokaloo, you might seek a guy with a snowblower who likes kids.
well, that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid by having cheaper rent!!! lmao..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area