Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this was my worst, but today I played. While this was nice on his part, letting me go thru since I was pressed for time....
this moron practices his swing, right behind and I me and I had no choice to but to see it. Tired to ignore it, but I put my shot in the water, since I was blown away inside by him doing that.
I politely asked him not to do that, needless to say, it made the rest of the time, while he was on the tee box, pretty awkward. I should not have even had to ask him, period....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Run into this all the time where people with very little experience golfing move, swing, talk in your backswing or while putting. If you happen to be playing for $$$, it makes it even worse. Nowadays my game is so bad that I'm not bothered anymore with it.

Can't think of any other etiquette problems except when playing through people stay in the way in the fairway or hit while you're hitting - or worse yet, people who don't let other players play through when they're several holes behind.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,831 times
This summer I took my girlfriend, who is new to golf, up to the hackers paradise in my hometown to play a round. Guys wear jorts and t-shirts on the course, it's really something else, but it's perfect for someone who cannot play well because neither can 1/2 of the folks on the course at any given time. Holding people up or playing from the adjacent fairway is commonplace.

So I was understandably patient when these 2 teenagers hit their tee shots through us while we waited for a foursome of bluehairs to get off the green. It was really rude but sometimes it's an honest mistake, even on a course with 60 yard wide fairways and easy views all the way to the green on that hole. I gave a simple wave to remind them that they were playing through us and hoped they would understand.

The next tee box was up on a hill, so we could see the previous green from above as we waited for the foursome in front of us to complete teeing off. I told her we'd just let the teens play through, but that it's more common of a thing to do when your own group is holding up play rather than the group in front of you. They obviously were in a hurry and we were not. But they were acting pretty obnoxiously on the green as we were waiting for them; hitting each other with the flagstick, hollering, and driving over part of the green. They were annoying enough for me to change my mind and not offer a play through.

So of course, it happens again on that hole, only one of their balls comes 10-15 ft of hitting my girlfriend. I pick up their balls and toss them in a pond. They madly come driving up and look about 15. The kid driving says, "you're an arsehole!" I explained to them that they had hit through us on two occasions and that we couldn't help the ancient foursome ahead of us. They said they did not care. I informed them that they were in fact the rude ones. One of the teenagers gets out of his cart and gets in my face. At this point, all I am thinking is how I would love to shove my 5-iron up his backside and give him some free facial plastic surgery, but also how doing that would likely send me to jail, considering he's underage. So I just shake both my head and ego and just let them play through right then, which they did with smirks on their faces. I thought, "I've been playing here for 15 years, am familiar with the golf rangers and attendants, these young f-heads will be off the course in no time." So instead of completing our round, I drive us back to the clubhouse.

I informed the guy in the clubhouse, who I've "known" for years that there were two teenagers grouped behind us acting like idiots on the course. He showed a surprised look on his face and looked in the log book. He then questions the validity of what I told him after he viewed the book. At this point I'm baffled. I mean, why would I make this up? I believe these kids were related to someone. In the end he came to the conclusion that it must not have been as bad as I was explaining it and offered us both a free round each. I advised him where he could insert those two coupons and let him know I would be repeating this story to everyone I came across at a non-profit fund raising dinner I was running before a local Nationwide Tour event nearby. I will not set foot on that course again unless it's sold.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Yesterday, even though, techincally he didn't have to do this, since it was a house on private property next to the course, not on it....
a guy continued to leave his high powered lawn mover running, while I was trying to tee off! Of course I messed up my shot. While he was not part of the course itself, you think he would have been polite enough to turn it off without being asked and he wasn't a young pup either.....too weird.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I love the old clod-hoppers that always stand on the tee box while you are hitting your second shot with their arms or hands on their hips trying to tell us that we are going to slow and then when we hit our 2nd shot we hear multiple golf balls landing right behind us.

So much for class.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
There was this lower class looking gent with his two sons, who clearly did not fall from the tree, playing golf for maybe their first or second time of their life. The finished up hole two while we were on the tee box (its a par 3) waiting to hit. The look over and see the guys on hole 3 are still teeing off, so they decide to dump out about 15 balls onto the green and start putting from all over the place. I yelled to them to move, they responded with the bird, so I drove my golf cart right up to the front of the green (kinda out of character for me) and asked him if this was his first time playing, and he responded with, "second time on this course, but we putt-putt all the time, so I think we know how this works."

At this point I told him he was flat out wrong and if I needed to call the ranger to explain I would. He didn't do it again the rest of the round, thank god.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Good work Orangeish! it takes balls to do that. Were you playing a city or county course? where you would normally find that kind of behavior but honestly I golf Milwaukee County golf courses all the time and I have never seen anything like that. Even the weekend warriors know the basic rules.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM

I also love people talking on cell phones in tee boxes, and (it happened against me) while you're putting.....too many people play this game as newcomers and don't go out with experienced people, who teach them to do the right thing....
also, even though it may be a legitmate provisonal, but who knows? People who hit 2 or 3 shots, same spot, while someone is waiting behind them.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Good work Orangeish! it takes balls to do that. Were you playing a city or county course? where you would normally find that kind of behavior but honestly I golf Milwaukee County golf courses all the time and I have never seen anything like that. Even the weekend warriors know the basic rules.
Balls or beer, I think both were in play

Def a city course and a medium priced one at that, so its not totally shocking that it happened.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Suprised there no more stories, with all the folks that play golf......
another time, on a city course, a group of 3 merged, on a day that was already busy, to a group of 6...no marshall in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports