Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,532 times

Advertisements

Here's something to bat around. What sport is the best overall? Not the best to necessarily watch or play, just the best in general.

An example. Here's some of the good things about football. It requires speed, strength, and in some positions on the field, coordination. Football requires teamwork perhaps more than any sport. Here are the negative things about football... Physical size can have more value than talent. Injuries, some severe, are common. In some positions, physical coordination is relatively unimportant.

Baseball; Positives... Most positions require eye-hand coordination. Speed and quickness are valued. Negatives... It's a game with a lot of standing around. Stamina is relatively unimportant, as is overall conditioning.

Basketball; Positives... Speed and quickness are highly important. Conditioning is highly valued. Coordination is of importance. Teamwork is required. Negatives... Simple height can trump talent. Traditional muscular strength does not have high value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:56 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,999,057 times
Default only the few will have the right answer

Handball as game is the purest expression of athletic prowess. It is the perfect game for humans. It is a sport that requires speed, strategy, agility, hand eye coordination and stamina. Injuries happen but they are generally not as severe or as common as the sports promoted on TV.

If you are fat or out of shape don't even bother with this game. Height is not an unfair advantage like Basketball. Handball is a game that is pure skill. It is better than tennis because the rackets they use in tennis make it a ridiculous power game; handball uses the hand only so power is truly expressed and not amplified by apparatus.

It is a simple game but it is the best test of athletic skill of all games played today. Where it is played side by side with basketball here in New York handball is usually the more popular game. It is a great testament to the power of TV to control modern taste that so many people watch basketball while the clearly superior game of handball is so obscure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02ji...eature=related

Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM

6,095 posts, read 9,132,581 times
Cross Country

The challenge is always different

Requires year round dedication

Old 10-29-2010, 03:44 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Handball as game is the purest expression of athletic prowess. It is the perfect game for humans. It is a sport that requires speed, strategy, agility, hand eye coordination and stamina. Injuries happen but they are generally not as severe or as common as the sports promoted on TV.

If you are fat or out of shape don't even bother with this game. Height is not an unfair advantage like Basketball. Handball is a game that is pure skill. It is better than tennis because the rackets they use in tennis make it a ridiculous power game; handball uses the hand only so power is truly expressed and not amplified by apparatus.

It is a simple game but it is the best test of athletic skill of all games played today. Where it is played side by side with basketball here in New York handball is usually the more popular game. It is a great testament to the power of TV to control modern taste that so many people watch basketball while the clearly superior game of handball is so obscure.
Well, you may not believe this, but I put handball at or near the top. I played handball when I was teenager and so I do know a little about the game. One of my nominees for Best Sport could be tennis. Handball edges out tennis because when played correctly, handball is played equally with both hands. Pure muscular strength is not of high importance however.

On the other end of the spectrum, Olympic-style wrestling would rank high as a great all-around sport. But whereas handball puts a premium on eye-hand coordination and footspeed, wrestling does require muscular strength. So I suppose the true "ideal sport" would be handball with the contestants at some point wrestling for the ball.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,497,393 times
Its probably those guys that do the crazy obstacle courses in Japan.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:25 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
No such thing as 'Best sport" everyone has an opinion. I like Baseball, Football and NASCAR go figure.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
American football is the only team sport in the world where you have to get out of shape and become morbidly obese to play a position.

I think basketball is best, but then again I'm from Kentucky

Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM

59,199 posts, read 27,388,280 times
fastest and team game, lacrosse

Best single game , golf

Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,858,773 times
Of course muscle strength has value in basketball! Are you kidding me?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,127,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Here's something to bat around. What sport is the best overall? Not the best to necessarily watch or play, just the best in general.

An example. Here's some of the good things about football. It requires speed, strength, and in some positions on the field, coordination. Football requires teamwork perhaps more than any sport. Here are the negative things about football... Physical size can have more value than talent. Injuries, some severe, are common. In some positions, physical coordination is relatively unimportant.

Baseball; Positives... Most positions require eye-hand coordination. Speed and quickness are valued. Negatives... It's a game with a lot of standing around. Stamina is relatively unimportant, as is overall conditioning.

Basketball; Positives... Speed and quickness are highly important. Conditioning is highly valued. Coordination is of importance. Teamwork is required. Negatives... Simple height can trump talent. Traditional muscular strength does not have high value.
I know, I'm biased but I will nominate Australian Rules.

Positives: hand eye coordination is a must, (try dropping a pointy end football to your toe and kicking it straight). Speed and quickness, endurance as well as core/general strength required.

Stamina highly important (little standing around, 2 hr playing time)

Different size players depending on position on field

Negatives: IMO, at the moment traditional roles being lost due to demand of above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports