Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,843 times

Advertisements

Give me your idea of a place in the USA that really doesn't care about sports, on the whole. I'm talking about... if there's a game on TV, you won't find many people running to the store to get beer and wings. If the local big college wins a football game, few people care. Kids aren't obsessed with getting into sports and playing sports, people don't flock to games en masse, etc.

I figure that such an area must exist. After all, there are colleges where sports really don't matter (ahem, MIT)... but when you think about what MIT really is, nobody argues with the assertion that sports don't really matter at MIT. Maybe out in the Midwest there is a place where nobody really cares about sports? I have no idea. Give me some help here. I want to find a place in the USA that is largely untouched by "sports fever".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
MIT is located in an area where sports most definitely matter though

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many areas where sports do not matter .... it's part of our fabric ..... kids like to be competative, active, etc ..... there is usually some community pride, school pride, etc also attached where value is transfered at all levels

I can't think of an area of size where people just don't care at any level

Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,543 times
Bachelorette Party.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Kauai. Those people couldn't care less. I don't blame them.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Kauai. Those people couldn't care less. I don't blame them.
That's in Hawaii... sounds good to me... :-)

MIT may be in the middle of an area that cares about sports but that isn't the point. I don't mind kids wanting to be competitive... I'm competitive and I've played most sports myself. I can see the benefit in playing sports. I am talking about areas where adults don't become fanatical about following some sports team where they have no relatives, friends or acquaintances.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 PM

it's entertainment as well

as for MIT - who says they don't care about sports?!

i'm sure the student athletes who go to school there care very much about it and i'm sure athletics are a part of their well rounded educational environment ..... 5 people who studied at MIT have competed in the olympics this decade .... they have 16 mens teams and 14 womens teams that are sanctioned parts of their athletic department and numerous club teams

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it's entertainment as well

as for MIT - who says they don't care about sports?!

i'm sure the student athletes who go to school there care very much about it and i'm sure athletics are a part of their well rounded educational environment ..... 5 people who studied at MIT have competed in the olympics this decade .... they have 16 mens teams and 14 womens teams that are sanctioned parts of their athletic department and numerous club teams
Let's face it... when you go to MIT, you're not going on a football scholarship. I don't even think they give football scholarships, but I couldn't be sure of that. I went to a high-rolling high school program in the Northeast and a lot of the seniors at least investigated MIT if they didn't go there... they said that MIT does have a football team but few people go to the games because MIT students are there to study and get good grades, not waste time and energy watching buffoons beat each other up over a $15 piece of sewn leather.

And yes, sports are entertainment. Everyone needs entertainment. I myself am an entertainer by profession. However, from being an entertainer, I know exactly what it's all about. Anytime anyone asks for my autograph, I make sure I tell them that I'm just a normal person like they are... all I'm doing is using my God-given talent, which means they should not put me up on a pedestal in their minds. The same can be said of athletes, that they're using their God-given talent. But I would have to follow that that does not qualify them for being idolized. People talk about professional athletes like they know them personally. I had a 9-year-old piano student once, screaming his head off after the Red Sox beat the Yankees for the World Series title a few years back. "THE RED SOX! The __RED__ __SOX__!!!!!!! Of ALL teams to beat the Yankees, the RED SOX????!!!! They SUCK!!!!"

This poor kid was brainwashed so young... it saddens me. The way I see it, I don't deny athletes their enjoyment or a reasonable living for doing what they do. But they do not deserve more money or fame than the truly important people in this world... people such as our military, our policemen and firefighters, our teachers and doctors, etc. I would prefer living in an area where the predominant mentality was "athletes are human, they came into this world from their mama just as we all did, they put their pants on one leg at a time like we all do, and when they take a dump, it smells just as bad as ours does". Enjoy the entertainment if you will, but don't work your life around it and get elated or infuriated due to the performance of a bunch of people whose only true contribution to society is to give us a glimpse of what social interaction was like in Neanderthal times... that's my point.

Last edited by RomaniGypsy; 08-30-2011 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 PM

your point is weak and nothing but a flimsy stereotype

people are a lot more complex & balanced than that

as the saying goes - mens sana in corpore sano

Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
your point is weak and nothing but a flimsy stereotype

people are a lot more complex & balanced than that

as the saying goes - mens sana in corpore sano
People who go on the attack when it was never a debate are exposing both insecurity and doubt in their points.

I have a feeling that your phrase translates "sound mind and sound body"... what does that have to do with it? I'm looking to find a place to live where people largely care very little about professional-level or college-level sports. Such a place would likely have less-than-average emphasis on high school level sports as well... that sounds awesome to me.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:30 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,573 times
I really havent been to such a place yet.

I think some communities may place more of a perspective on sports----a more balanced approach between sports, academics, and family life.

I think a lot of college towns can find that right combination. There is momentum for game day, yet there might not be the passion for constant action at the sports bar-----i.e.----football is king on Saturday afternnoon or evening, but the rest of the week means a budgeted balance of time between academics, music, theatre, and other forms of the arts.

I think in some college town settings you get the feeling if the school has lost on Saturday, life will go on after all-----Maybe not in a lot of big time factory college football settings----but in a lot of smaller division 2 an 3 schools the perspective may be more in focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports