Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:44 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Jordan deserves some consideration being the GOAT of basketball. Added to that Basketball is one of the most athletically challenging sports today IMO.. I think if he had never attempted to play baseball you could put him higher on the list but the mere fact that he tried, and failed for the most part hurts his credentials...
How about Deion Sanders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM

749 posts, read 838,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Thorpe was the greatest. The greatest athlete has to be good in everything they did. Dominating one sport doesn't cut it.

Babe was the best female athlete.
I respect what Jim Thorpe accomplished, but he was just an average baseball player at best.

Bo Jackson played two completely different skill-set team sports at the very highest level. All-Star/All-Pro at both. Won the Heisman Trophy as the best college football player in the land. Ran at verified time of 4.12 seconds in the 40yd dash....still to this day the fastest ever ran at the NFL combines. Made the 1989 MLB All-Star team, hit a 440ft home run in the 1st inning of that game. After hip replacement surgery, won MLB Comeback player of the year award in '93.

With all deference to Mr. Thorpe, my pick goes to Bo.

Also, a shout out to Babe Ruth, who was well on his way to a Hall of Fame career as a pitcher, until his bat couldn't be denied, and went on to change how the game of baseball was played. He dominated the sport in which he played like none other since...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
I'd say Jesse Owens, his impact transcended the arena he competed in like nobody before or since.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM

297 posts, read 401,669 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jerry Rice yet. Certainly worth consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports