Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:30 AM

384 posts, read 1,132,422 times

Advertisements

No to jail time. But take away her medals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM

491 posts, read 339,744 times
...but she lied to Federal investigators, so she committed a Federal offense. She knew all along what she was doing. I'm sorry, it's hard for me to find sympathy. I'm a huge Olympic games fan, more so than professional sports, and she violated everything that the Olympic movement stands for. It's not like she would go to Alcatraz or any other bad jail. She would probably go to a nice Federal facility like Martha Stewart did.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 AM
RDU

40 posts, read 140,618 times
Oh Puretex, your to pure. Half the Carolina Panthers Football team was investigated by the Fed. What Happened? The NFL has lots of money, that what happened.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:55 PM

491 posts, read 339,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU View Post
Oh Puretex, your to pure. Half the Carolina Panthers Football team was investigated by the Fed. What Happened? The NFL has lots of money, that what happened.

You are right, unfortunately money talks....

Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
She was a great runner, but I'm really sorry to say that she might lose her medals now (like Ben Johnson did, in the 88' Olympics). She had a lot of problems anyway. She was in her 2nd marriage, had a baby not long ago, and just had some personal stuff with her.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Every athlete that is found to have used performance enhancers should be forced to give up any and all records and awards that they have ever won. Set the precedence now to avoid confusion later.

This would send a very strong message and maybe some of this garbage would stop.

At least this removes any possible doubt about whether the Balco stuff related to Barry Bonds was true....of course it was!
It seems she is asking for the books to be amended. I was a pretty floored by the news. But she is voluntarily giving back everything asking for the records to be rescinded, plus her heartfelt apology.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I don't see the problem, to be honest. I think we can assume that most if not all the contestants in the 2000 Sydney Olympics running events were doping to some extent. Rather than getting all puffy with moral outrage when someone happens to get caught, I think steroid use should simply be legalized, with the provision that one's steroid regime (or lack thereof) must be published accurately.

I want to see the highest possible level of human competition, and it is clear that drugs are now required to take people to those levels.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purtex View Post
I can't believe we actually cheered for someone that was cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
How do these athletes stand on the gold medal stand and and accept all those accolades...and even muster up tears, when they know deep down that they cheated?

Just so we are clear here: you ARE aware that the vast majority of your NFL, NBA and MLB players are drugged through the gills, right? If you banned every NFL player that took performance enhancing drugs you could not field enough players left over to actually play a single game – and that includes kickers. Ever stood next to an NFL or NBA player?? Momma don't make that many people that big and quick on oatmeal and fried eggs.

Folks getting down on busted track & field or cycling athletes while cheering on the local pro teams are naive beyond belief . . .

Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Folks getting down on busted track & field or cycling athletes while cheering on the local pro teams are naive beyond belief . . .
Naive or hypocritical beyond belief . . .

Old 04-11-2008, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times
[mod]Leave out the personal references, please[/mod]

She was serious and admitted it, not like a few baseball players that can't even spell
steroid...maybe, the teams that won championships, should loose them, since all Marion Jones's teammates had to loose their medals...we love double-standards....
L.C.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-11-2008 at 09:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports