Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,937,966 times

Advertisements

I hope this belongs here and not in sports, but here goes:

I'm going to coach my son in 5/6 tackle football this season, and TBH outside of Madden football on PS3 and sunday games, I'm not much of a football guy

I'm at a loss on what plays I should be running both on offense and defense?

I coached him in his 3/4 flag football and was ASSt. coach on his 5/6 flag team this past spring, so I do have some general knowledge, just not the intricate details. I also played JV in high school, but that was AGES ago lol

Any pointers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,443,306 times
Probably want to pick up a book at the library. A simple book with the basics. Your question might be too complicated for an internet forum. You'd also want the graphics in the book.

https://www.google.com/search?q=coac...a&channel=fflb

Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Probably want to pick up a book at the library. A simple book with the basics.
Well maybe I should clarify, I got the basics (3 point stance, offense, defense, etc) I just need the details, e.g. what type of plays to teach, how many plays to teach, how detailed in teaching, etc

Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Choose 4 or 5 simple plays, like a quarterback sweep, a reverse and even a Wing T, and name them each something simple and relatable, like " popsicle" or "Superman."

Keep it fun. Hope that you have 1 really good athlete on the team who can carry the ball.

Also, get an assistant who is really into strategy and have him/her draw the plays.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
No advice on plays, I just had to voice my horror at 5/6 yr olds playing tackle football. Doesn't anybody read the news?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,939,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
I hope this belongs here and not in sports, but here goes:

I'm going to coach my son in 5/6 tackle football this season, and TBH outside of Madden football on PS3 and sunday games, I'm not much of a football guy

I'm at a loss on what plays I should be running both on offense and defense?

I coached him in his 3/4 flag football and was ASSt. coach on his 5/6 flag team this past spring, so I do have some general knowledge, just not the intricate details. I also played JV in high school, but that was AGES ago lol

Any pointers?
My sons played pee wee football. My oldest was 7 when he started, my youngest was 6. They are currently 19 (college S) and 14 (hs F) and both still play.

Are you going to be the head coach?

I cannot wrap my arms around a head coach who does not have some football experience. That sounds dangerous to me.

Edited to add: Here is a book that looks promising.

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Guide.../dp/0736091130

Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No advice on plays, I just had to voice my horror at 5/6 yr olds playing tackle football. Doesn't anybody read the news?
You already went over this here:

Are you still willing to allow your child to play football?

The OP obviously already has decided how HE feels about it.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

Are you going to be the head coach?

I cannot wrap my arms around a head coach who does not have some football experience. That sounds dangerous to me.
I agree. I hope the OP's league is not as psycho about it as ours is, where each team has at least 5 coaches.

I do think he should get an assistant with experience. It's much easier when you have someone to back you up.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You already went over this here:

Are you still willing to allow your child to play football?

The OP obviously already has decided how HE feels about it.
Nothing wrong with trying to enlighten people, is there?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,939,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree. I hope the OP's league is not as psycho about it as ours is, where each team has at least 5 coaches.

I do think he should get an assistant with experience. It's much easier when you have someone to back you up.
The more coaches you have the better it is for the kids. My kids always had at least 5 coaches, sometimes more.

IMO players are at risk when they play for a head coach who is not a football guy. My kids have had several assistant coaches who started out with no specific football knowledge. They developed into very good assistants but there is no way they were prepared to be head coaches.

I hope the OP has someone with him who really knows football. There is more to being a head coach than teaching the kids a few plays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports