Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:26 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,585,393 times

Advertisements

Seven Questions:

1) Are Djokovic and Murray ready to compete by then?

2) How are Nadal and Federer doing physically?

3) In what shape are the chasers (or former chasers) such as Tsonga and Nishikori? Is former chaser, Dimitrov, standing out among this list?

4) Where does Stanimal stand in all of this?

5) Have the young ones such as Zverev and Thiem elevated to a higher level, thus increased their chance at winning a grand slam, than 6 months ago?

6) Why is Thiem getting so much attention, when similar-aged players like Sock and Goffin play just as well, and not getting the "future number 1" or "future grand slam winner" mentions?

7) Who do you think will the Semi-Finalist at 2018 Australian Open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 09:47 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,008,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Seven Questions:

1) Are Djokovic and Murray ready to compete by then?

2) How are Nadal and Federer doing physically?

3) In what shape are the chasers (or former chasers) such as Tsonga and Nishikori? Is former chaser, Dimitrov, standing out among this list?

4) Where does Stanimal stand in all of this?

5) Have the young ones such as Zverev and Thiem elevated to a higher level, thus increased their chance at winning a grand slam, than 6 months ago?

6) Why is Thiem getting so much attention, when similar-aged players like Sock and Goffin play just as well, and not getting the "future number 1" or "future grand slam winner" mentions?

7) Who do you think will the Semi-Finalist at 2018 Australian Open?

Glad you brought this up now, it's a long off season until the AO.
I think Djoker will be ready, but I think Murray's injury is much more serious, and possibly career threatening.
Fed and Nadal should have enough time to be fit and healthy.
Stanimal is probably done now, and the other chasers are fading.
Zverev is unproven in Slams, Thiem more likely to win on clay than hard courts.
Dimitrov is the dark horse now imo for the tournament, he should be riding the wave from the WTF's victory, a great breakthrough success.
He is my pick to win it.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Glad you brought this up now, it's a long off season until the AO.
I think Djoker will be ready, but I think Murray's injury is much more serious, and possibly career threatening.
Fed and Nadal should have enough time to be fit and healthy.
Stanimal is probably done now, and the other chasers are fading.
Zverev is unproven in Slams, Thiem more likely to win on clay than hard courts.
Dimitrov is the dark horse now imo for the tournament, he should be riding the wave from the WTF's victory, a great breakthrough success.
He is my pick to win it.

Why do you think Murray's career is ending? How serious is his injuries?

Why do you think Stan is done?

Dimitrov is at best at the Semi at WTF if there was a decent number of top players that he has to face.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:50 AM

What's the most recent update on the fitness of the Big 4 and Stan?

Old 12-30-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
What's the most recent update on the fitness of the Big 4 and Stan?
All are struggling to be fit and ready in time, bar Federer it seems.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 AM

10,833 posts, read 4,380,348 times
In a few short hours Rafael Nadal will set foot on Australian and Melbourne soil.
There is a huge chance Nadal will make the AO Final, but he's usually too nervous to win it.
But who knows, he may prove me wrong!
Last year I said he'd only win the French Open and US Open, and I was correct but he very nearly proved me wrong at the AO.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Draw is out now.

https://ausopen.com/draws?events=11

The best male AO player of the Open Era, Novak Djokovic, has a tough draw:

https://ausopen.com/articles/news/me...lian-open-2018

In the womens, will be interesting to see how Simona Halep goes, if she can finally get her 1st Slam.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 PM

I'm very confident Nadal will beat Djokovic this time, because Nadal leads Djokovic 2-1 at the US Open, and their only AO meeting went 6 hours and Nadal was up a break in the 5th set despite not using the correct strategy.

In that 2012ao final, Nadal went crosscourt way too much, whereas at 2010 and 2013 US Open finals you saw Nadal go down-the-line frequently and it really destroyed Djokovic.
Moya's version of Nadal is very down-the-line, plus his 2nd serve is now faster than ever before which helps negate Djokovic's aggressive backhand return.

Of course, Djokovic won't make the final if his elbow plays up, but if the elbow is healed (Djokovic says it is) then Djokovic will beat Federer in the semi.
Federer has way too much emotional baggage, having lost his last 3 meetings with Djokovic at the AO, last 3 at the US Open and last 2 at Wimbledon!

I saw Nadal's exhibition match with Gasquet + the super-tie-breaker tournament, and Nadal's court movement is outstanding right now; he actually appears to be moving faster than he was at last year's victorious US Open (and that is no surprise, because he was fatigued after a busy first half of 2017).
This week Nadal's timing was very rusty in the Gasquet match especially, but physically he's 100% and will fine tune his game in the 1st week of AO.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
I'm very confident Nadal will beat Djokovic this time, because Nadal leads Djokovic 2-1 at the US Open, and their only AO meeting went 6 hours and Nadal was up a break in the 5th set despite not using the correct strategy.

In that 2012ao final, Nadal went crosscourt way too much, whereas at 2010 and 2013 US Open finals you saw Nadal go down-the-line frequently and it really destroyed Djokovic.
Moya's version of Nadal is very down-the-line, plus his 2nd serve is now faster than ever before which helps negate Djokovic's aggressive backhand return.

Of course, Djokovic won't make the final if his elbow plays up, but if the elbow is healed (Djokovic says it is) then Djokovic will beat Federer in the semi.
Federer has way too much emotional baggage, having lost his last 3 meetings with Djokovic at the AO, last 3 at the US Open and last 2 at Wimbledon!

I saw Nadal's exhibition match with Gasquet + the super-tie-breaker tournament, and Nadal's court movement is outstanding right now; he actually appears to be moving faster than he was at last year's victorious US Open (and that is no surprise, because he was fatigued after a busy first half of 2017).
This week Nadal's timing was very rusty in the Gasquet match especially, but physically he's 100% and will fine tune his game in the 1st week of AO.
First comment only, both have to make the final for there to be a repeat match at the AO.
The probability of both happening would be low, regardless of which player you support.
Nobody saw a Fedal final happening last year at the start of the tourney (with rankings drops etc), so anything can happen.
But both are coming back from injuries and long layoffs, esp Djoker, so it will be one match at a time.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM

Djokovic's service action being abbreviated, will give Nadal a pretty big advantage in the rivalry.
Djokovic getting more free points on serve than Nadal was usually the reason for Djokovic's wins over Nadal.

Whereas Federer will still struggle big league to beat Djokovic at the slams especially because Djokovic will continue to own the baseline rallies and will pass Federer if Federer comes to net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports