Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

Was listening to some guys on ESPN debate this. The only real reason anyone could come up with is that if we didn't sing it at sporting events, we'd have nowhere else to sing it.

I'm not saying I'm against it or anti-American or anything. I love my country as much as the next guy but it's a weird thing we do at sporting events. Like we choose to only be patriotic when we are about to engage in a physical sport but not at other events. Why not sing it before Plays, Shows, Operas, etc...? Yes, I know it's done because of tradition as well but that's not really a great reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
History of U.S. national anthem ("The Star-Spangled Banner") in sports: The history of the national anthem in sports - ESPN The Magazine

"The Star-Spangled Banner" Wikipedia entry (see Section 1.3, National Anthem): The Star-Spangled Banner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The song tradition I dislike intensely is Major League Baseball's decision to play "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch at Sunday games (and at all games for the Yankees and maybe a couple other teams). I'd like to think God doesn't show favor or discriminate when He (or She) hands out blessings to countries. I wouldn't have a problem if a different, more secular patriotic song, such as "America the Beautiful", "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", or "This Land Is Your Land" (the last of which was written by Woody Guthrie as a protest against Irving Berlin's "God Bless America") was played instead, or at least if the patriotic songs played at MLB games were mixed up such that different songs were played at different games.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:38 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Why do we sing the national anthem at sporting events?
So be it! It doesn't bother me that the National Anthem is sung at sporting events. All countries' national anthems are performed at the Olympics and at the World Cup (soccer). It's a great moment for national reflection and pride in country.

I'm not aware of any policy which restricts the playing of the Star Spangled Banner to any particular event, and in a free country it should be played wherever and whenever it can!

My main concern is that too many Hollywood celebrities or "rock stars" are out there trying to put their own "American Idol" yodeling and/or screaming, and other histrionics into the National Anthem -- not to mention that they usually can't remember the words while doing so!

I'd rather go back to having only a military band or singer(s) who truly understand and respect America to perform the anthem.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:37 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
So be it! It doesn't bother me that the National Anthem is sung at sporting events. All countries' national anthems are performed at the Olympics and at the World Cup (soccer). It's a great moment for national reflection and pride in country.

I'm not aware of any policy which restricts the playing of the Star Spangled Banner to any particular event, and in a free country it should be played wherever and whenever it can!

My main concern is that too many Hollywood celebrities or "rock stars" are out there trying to put their own "American Idol" yodeling and/or screaming, and other histrionics into the National Anthem -- not to mention that they usually can't remember the words while doing so!

I'd rather go back to having only a military band or singer(s) who truly understand and respect America to perform the anthem.

I've heard some military singers "American Idolize" the National Anthem. Sing it like it's written. I'm a classically trained singer, so I'm sure I would sound boring. I sing what's written.

I don't mind the National Anthem if sung correctly. I agree with the previous poster who mentioned "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning stretch. It started after 9/11, and I just don't think they know how to stop it without people losing their minds over it!

Similar to the National Anthem, are there any other sports out there (besides NASCAR) who have an invocation before the event? That's been the case for years, but after 9/11, they have to show it on TV. I don't mind a prayer in the driver's meeting, but it's a little weird to hear it broadcast over the PA and all the sponsors being mentioned! (My favorite was the "Heluva Good Sour Cream Dips 400" mentioned in the prayer! lol)

Old 05-17-2015, 11:02 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
[/b]

I've heard some military singers "American Idolize" the National Anthem. Sing it like it's written. I'm a classically trained singer, so I'm sure I would sound boring. I sing what's written.

I don't mind the National Anthem if sung correctly. I agree with the previous poster who mentioned "God Bless America" during the 7th Inning stretch. It started after 9/11, and I just don't think they know how to stop it without people losing their minds over it!

Similar to the National Anthem, are there any other sports out there (besides NASCAR) who have an invocation before the event? That's been the case for years, but after 9/11, they have to show it on TV. I don't mind a prayer in the driver's meeting, but it's a little weird to hear it broadcast over the PA and all the sponsors being mentioned! (My favorite was the "Heluva Good Sour Cream Dips 400" mentioned in the prayer! lol)
There's absolutely enough leeway in music so that even the most conservative singer can venture into a bit of creativity with an anthem, when done respectfully. My concern (and yours) is with those who selfishly and arrogantly take "creativity" way outside the limits of acceptable boundaries, and into the realm of foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports