Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
the team hasn't won a world series since 1908! Why would you want to visit such a dump?
And the team sucking for many years has what to do with making its stadium a dump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 11:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
It's dumpy because it's old and doesn't have a pa system, the fans are ignorant and rude, and the team hasn't won a world series since 1908! Why would you want to visit such a dump? Only the sheep from Chicago understand the logic.
Who wants to be bombarded with stupid, booming PA announcements anyways? Its much nicer to just enjoy the game, hear the players yelling, hear the ball hitting the bat, IMO. And the fans arent ignorant OR rude. Its usually the people who make such stereotypes that are! And who cares how long its been since theyve won a World Series??? The Cubs are still very much loved and followed, unlike the Brewers.

So enjoy your soulless, boring, monsrosity of a ballpark and watch the sausages race around the bases. Or better yet, watch Bernie slide down that awesome slide into the beer keg. WOOT! Yeah, thats the quintessential baseball experience. Only the cheeseheads from WI understand the logic.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Steve-o does have a point.... It's a historical stadium. It gets points for it's history, fans, and traditions. I don't know any other ballpark where the fans throw the other teams' homeruns back on the field. The concept of tradition is dying (and not just in sports, either), and I respect a stadium throwback stadium like Wrigley.
But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. That's what this forum is for.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
The old Busch stadium in St. Louis was really bad for a baseball game, especially the upper deck. I remember the pretzels being good, though.
The Tennessee Oilers, now the Titans, played in Memphis' Liberty Bowl for one year. It's bad enough for a college game, but it's downright atrocious for NFL games. No wonder they moved on as quick as they could. Oddly, I was rooting for Memphis to get the team instead of Nashville.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The worst stadium Ive ever been to is Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks). The upper deck was too far away from the play, the food tasted like it was pulled out of a garbage can (particularly the hot dogs), the design is awkward and ugly (can you say "warehouse"?), and the A/C doesnt work way up in the upper deck either. We were sweating the whole game, it was miserable. Oh, and whats with the swimming pool in the outfield? Retarded.
Now Ive never been there but I did take a look at it from Google Maps and if it wasnt for the labels telling me what I was looking at, I would think I was looking at a huge factory.
Here is another metion. Wallace Wade Stadium. Home of the Duke Blue Devils football team. Duke's football team hasnt been any decent since the mid-90's, and no one is going to pay money to help renovate it unless they start winning some games and can put more fans in the stands. Serioulsy they got Basketball covered, Football, not so much.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Steve-o does have a point.... It's a historical stadium. It gets points for it's history, fans, and traditions. I don't know any other ballpark where the fans throw the other teams' homeruns back on the field. The concept of tradition is dying (and not just in sports, either), and I respect a stadium throwback stadium like Wrigley.
But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion. That's what this forum is for.
Good post. It should be noted that Wrigley was also the first stadium to use an organ, the first place to sing "take me out to the ballgame" and the place where the tradition of throwing back opponents' balls originated. Lots of history and pride at Wrigley, especially since its been part of the neighborhood for sooooooo long. IMO its the best experience in baseball, right up there with Fenway.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Now Ive never been there but I did take a look at it from Google Maps and if it wasnt for the labels telling me what I was looking at, I would think I was looking at a huge factory.
Dont worry, you could be standing directly outside it and not know it was a ballpark either. The only thing that hints that its a ballpark are the giant, ultra-cheesy murals painted on the outside of the building. But, the people down there love it for some bizarre reason, even though they can only fill the place when the D-Cracks are doing good.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I visited Shea Stadium in 2001 and was really not impressed with it. Cant say it's worse than others, but I did not think very highley of it.
Shea Stadium is an ashtray, or maybe a hybrid of an ashtray and a toilet bowl. A fitting home for the chokers known as the New York Mutts.

Shea definitely gets my vote for worst stadium.

Mets suck!

Go Phils!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
The Vet was the most god-awful place I ever went to. The old Kingdome was also pretty bad.

The Vet was not that bad. Sure, it was an outdated design in its later days, but it was not as bad as people made it out to be. The Vet was the best stadium in the world compared to Shea Stadium.

The Vet is a moot point anyways, since its now a parking lot.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont worry, you could be standing directly outside it and not know it was a ballpark either. The only thing that hints that its a ballpark are the giant, ultra-cheesy murals painted on the outside of the building. But, the people down there love it for some bizarre reason, even though they can only fill the place when the D-Cracks are doing good.
If you've ever been in the Phoenix area in July, as I was last summer, you'll know why the natives like Chase Field. I don't disagree with you about the aesthetics though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports