Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:16 PM

307 posts, read 363,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
CD isn't exactly the heartbeat of what represents what people are passionate about. Tenngrand I think is one site with a lot of insightful chat albeit some of it is a little bizarre, such as the infatuation for Rafael Nadal. This forum is more for the drive-by sports fan. Look at the NFL forum. 90 percent of the posts at least allude to what someone's pick em contest record was, obvious factoids, or "I hope my (insert team name) wins the Super Bowl". Honestly, even if one doesn't gamble, there is much more insight into games, in-game strategy on some of the cappers forums. Tennis isn't what the drive by sports media harps on any longer- and it isn't the only sport now that falls in that realm, even if by some metrics, the popularity exists.
Sonny which top 5 sports would you say fall into discussions by the drive-by sports fan. You got my forum ears at full attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 PM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Sonny which top 5 sports would you say fall into discussions by the drive-by sports fan. You got my forum ears at full attention.
Simple I think; team sports...the big ones- pro baseball, pro basketball, pro and college football, and college basketball, but only when its March. There's almost as much, if not more passion for niche sports like golf, auto racing, MMA, and tennis. The interest is there. A general internet forum however is often just going to attract a general sports fan with limited knowledge. Its not an issue of any less of a passionate fan base, but rather attracting the casual observer.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:56 AM

307 posts, read 363,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Simple I think; team sports...the big ones- pro baseball, pro basketball, pro and college football, and college basketball, but only when its March. There's almost as much, if not more passion for niche sports like golf, auto racing, MMA, and tennis. The interest is there. A general internet forum however is often just going to attract a general sports fan with limited knowledge. Its not an issue of any less of a passionate fan base, but rather attracting the casual observer.
I'm with you a 100% SonnyC. You see football, basketball, and baseball discussed in your general morning news, e.t.c, and not MMA, auto racing, or tennis. That would be the normal thing.

You'll notice though that they included the less popular niche sports such as MMA and auto racing but seem to have left out tennis which is the more popular niche sports (as I've shown with previously attached forum stats).

That's kinda what sturrred my sporrrts and prompted me to create the thread venting the garden-of-eden level mistake, lmao

Old 01-08-2018, 02:46 PM

272 posts, read 184,333 times
Don't believe the dialogue is there but ehh..

Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
guys, a $500 Billion dollar company (Google) supports what I'm saying. Tennis has wayyy more interest than Auto Racing, or Boxing. The number of searches made in google are below:

Tennis (246,000 searches) vs Auto Racing (2900 searches) vs Boxing (0 searches)
Auto Racing is too broad of a category. Very few people search for that term. They search for Nascar, Indycar, Formula 1, MotoGP, V8 Supercars, Motocross, the list goes on and on.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
if tennis gets a forum, then ping pong could be its first sub-forum

Old 02-11-2018, 03:08 AM

3,803 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if tennis gets a forum, then ping pong could be its first sub-forum
Or the other racket and ball sports like squash and badminton.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:36 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Actually, I was surprised there is not a tennis sub-forum. There definitely should be one..

Old 03-05-2018, 03:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Actually, I was surprised there is not a tennis sub-forum. There definitely should be one..
not enough tennis discussion for one

headed to the Miami Open again in a couple of weeks - last year at Key Biscayne...they're moving it to the football stadium in 2019....bad mistake, imo....Key Biscayne is a beautiful place - guess they want to haul in spectators.....it'll likely be my last Miami Open - have been going for 3-4 yrs now.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:15 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Tennis??? Meanwhile Swimming and Track are left out despite collectively accounting for probably 80% of the US's medal haul every Summer Olympics, not to mention the annual World Championships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports