Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:31 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

My school: TCU Horned Frogs (Football)
(comments are on the side from now on...)

Overall:
History and Tradition: B (Sammy Baugh, Randy White, Davy O'Brian, L.T., and two national championships from 1935 and '38)
Confrence: B- (Mt. West is good, with BCS busters BYU and Utah headlining...)
Uniforms: B (Good way to make the purple and black work. The helmet is better with purple and white 'TCU' and Frog logo)
Program Management: A+ (9 bowl games in the past 10 years, going 6-3 during that time with like 7 10-win season... all with Gary Patterson... I think it's pretty good.)
Location: A (Campus is just a few miles southwest of downtown Ft. Worth, next to the zoo and the Colonial Golf course.)
Stadium:A- (Amon G. Carter has it's history and hosts the Armed Forces Bowl... now if they could just keep the stands up (http://cbs11tv.com/local/tcu.stadium.amon.2.649512.html - broken link)...)
Mascot: A* (*only because it's original... A horned lizard isn't a scary or vicious animal, but at least it's original)
Fans: B+ (for a Texas school that's not in the Big XII, we have some good fans. And since Fort Worth may never have it's own NFL franchise, the Frogs are the closest to a pro football team the city has... so GO FROGS!!!)

2007 Season: (you can grade whatever you want...)
Offense: C+
Defense: A
Coaching: A-
Bowl Game: A- (only because we won...)

*sigh* A sorry season with a decent ending. Our offense just wasn't clickin'. But at least the Frogs still won a bowl game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,284 times
Wisconsin Badgers

Overall:
History and Tradition: B- (Ron Dayne, Don Ameche, Crazy Legs Hirsch. 6 Rose Bowl Appearances, 3 Wins. History's not that great, but awesome tradition at Wisconsin)
Confrence: A- (Would be an A, but in recent years, slight decline in the Big 10)
Uniforms: B+/A- (No problems with the Red and White Uni's, plus the Motion W is awesome!)
Program Management: A+ (You have to realize, we don't recruit well. Michigan, Penn State usually get the recruits for football, Indiana and Illinois for Basketball, we don't even have a baseball team, but we make the most out of our recruits, like Ron Dayne.)
Location: A+ (Anyone that's been to Madison knows what I'm talking about)
Stadium: A (Camp Randall - lots of tradition and recently renovated. Largest scoreboard in any NCAA stadium. Oh so breathtaking)
Mascot: A+ (C'mon, Bucky Badger!)
Fans: A- (#1 College Sports Town by SI On Campus a few years ago. Great fans, great Alumni. The only guy that really hates us is Kirk Herbstreit, and believe me, we hate him just as much. The swearing and cursing does get a bit tiring after awhile though)

2007 Season: I'll pass. I didn't get to see all the games...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
NC State Wolfpack Football
Overall:
History and tradition: C( philip rivers, torry holt, roman gabriel, bill cowher, mario williams). We have yet to reach a BCS Bowl, but i think our time is coming.
Conference: C
Uniforms: A
Program Management: C
Location: C+ (Duke,UNC,ECU and Wake forest are nearby but these schools, excluding ECU are more known for basketball)
Stadium: A( recent upgrades to bring in more fans)
Mascot; A
Fans: A-( Faithful but also tired of the same old seasons.
2007 season. C: terrible start but we did beat our rivals ECU and UNC. However rough 37-0 loss to Maryland on senior day wiped out a bow berth. First time since 1995 the football team has been shut-out.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
NC State Wolfpack Football
Overall:
History and tradition: C( philip rivers, torry holt, roman gabriel, bill cowher, mario williams). We have yet to reach a BCS Bowl, but i think our time is coming.
Conference: C
Program Management: C
Location: C+ (Duke,UNC,ECU and Wake forest are nearby but these schools, excluding ECU are more known for basketball)
Stadium: A( recent upgrades to bring in more fans)
Mascot; A
Fans: A-( Faithful but also tired of the same old seasons.
2007 season. C: terrible start but we did beat our rivals ECU and UNC. However rough 37-0 loss to Maryland on senior day wiped out a bow berth. First time since 1995 the football team has been shut-out.
Here's a refreshing 'Pack fan....every State fan I know thinks they are an A+ in everything...even though they've been down in football and b-ball recently. State's time is coming...but Duke and UNC will always overshadow them on the hardwood.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
T-8

23 posts, read 107,300 times
Talking The one you wouldn't ever espect

Davidson College

Call me stupid, but I personally think that most of the basketball history of this university goes under the sign of Stephen Curry, who led the Wildcats up to the Elite Eight (and it wasn't the first time ever, I know, it has also happened both in 1968 and in 1969).
Now I think I should do quit a report, in the like others did several post before this one.
Anyway, being a quit-totally-ignorant Italian college basketball fan, am I asked to write a report too ?

Old 04-20-2008, 03:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
My school: Auburn Tigers (Football)

Overall:
History and Tradition: A- (Bo Jackson and a host of other all-world NFL running backs in the past 30 years)
Conference: A+ (The SEC.)
Uniforms: A (Good solid uniform)
Program Management: B+ (For some reason, we just can't win a national championship)
Location: B- (Beautiful campus, but hard to get to. A real pain, especially for a night game.)
Stadium:A (A very nice facility.)
Mascot: A+ (Winner of the Capital One mascot contest for a couple of recent years)
Fans: A+ (Great fans! And, unless you're an Alabama fan, you'll be treated with utmost courtest and respect--and we're even civil to those knuckle-dragging Alabama fans)

Offense: C
Coaching: B (Offense lacked imagination. Defense was primo)
Bowl Game: B+ (Beat a very good Clemson team, even with a completely new offense.)

Interesting Auburn fact: The Tigers won both the first and last college football game of 2007. Look for us to make a serious run at the MNC in 2008.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
My school: Arkansas Razorbacks

Overall:
History and Tradition: A+ What we lack in total volume of national championships (excepting track and cross country where we've more or less owned the NCAA for many years) we make up for in traditions, be they good or bad, like calling the Hogs, running through the A, etc.
Confrence: A+
Program Management: B- Broyles did wonders spending tons and tons of money while never making a modern program. We have some great infrastructure for the future and an AD who will hopefully keep his hands (and Frankie's who's still hanging around like a lost puppy) off the program and let the coaches do their job.
Location: B+ Beautiful setting but Fayetteville is a bit off the beaten path.
Stadium:A Recent renovations put Reynolds Razorback Stadium on the list of premier college football venues in the country. Bud Walton Arena is dark and scary barn that can, when the program is winning, become a truly frightening place for enemy teams to have to visit.
Mascot: A+ Original, great graphics design
Fans: C Hog fans are a fickle bunch. We expect more than any of the programs could ever deliver and we're quick to turn our backs on a season in jeopardy. Heaven forbid this state ever develop another program with a chance of making some national headlines and break up the Hog monopoly. If the state loses Hog fan base to another school this drops to an F because the attitudes of the fans won't change, there'll just be a lot fewer of us.

2007 Season:
Offense: B McFadden and Jones... If we had a passing attack, clearly it would be A+
Defense: B
Coaching: -- No comment
Bowl Game: C More disappointment....

Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My school: Auburn Tigers (Football)

Overall:
History and Tradition: A- (Bo Jackson and a host of other all-world NFL running backs in the past 30 years)
Conference: A+ (The SEC.)
Uniforms: A (Good solid uniform)
Program Management: B+ (For some reason, we just can't win a national championship)
Location: B- (Beautiful campus, but hard to get to. A real pain, especially for a night game.)
Stadium:A (A very nice facility.)
Mascot: A+ (Winner of the Capital One mascot contest for a couple of recent years)
Fans: A+ (Great fans! And, unless you're an Alabama fan, you'll be treated with utmost courtest and respect--and we're even civil to those knuckle-dragging Alabama fans)

Offense: C
Coaching: B (Offense lacked imagination. Defense was primo)
Bowl Game: B+ (Beat a very good Clemson team, even with a completely new offense.)

Interesting Auburn fact: The Tigers won both the first and last college football game of 2007. Look for us to make a serious run at the MNC in 2008.
LMAO!! You hit that nail right on the head!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:08 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,501 times
Good thread, JJG...

My school: SMU Mustangs (Football)

Overall: B- (now that June Jones has been hired)
History and Tradition: B+ (Doak Walker, Eric Dickerson, Craig James, Raymond Berry, and the first black player in the SWC, Jerry LeVias...1935 National Championship, 1982 - only team to go undefeated; Penn State was awarded the national championship despite having a loss with a weaker schedule)
Confrence: B- (C-USA is quickly improving and offers us good regional rivalries)
Uniforms: N/A (They are going to roll out new jerseys this year, I'd give last year's a B+)
Program Management: F (No bowl games since the 80s; hopefully that changes soon with new coach June Jones)
Location: A+ (University Park, only 5 minutes from Downtown Dallas)
Stadium:A+ (Gerald J. Ford Stadium was opened in 2000 and is state-of-the-art)
Mascot: A (Mustangs...with a Shetland Pony named Peruna)
Fans: C- (they show up for big games...but that's about it)

2007 Season:
Offense: A
Defense: F (only good game they played was against TCU)
Coaching: D
Bowl Game: F (didn't get to one)

Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
Good thread, JJG...

My school: SMU Mustangs (Football)

Overall: B- (now that June Jones has been hired)
History and Tradition: B+ (Doak Walker, Eric Dickerson, Craig James, Raymond Berry, and the first black player in the SWC, Jerry LeVias...1935 National Championship, 1982 - only team to go undefeated; Penn State was awarded the national championship despite having a loss with a weaker schedule)
Confrence: B- (C-USA is quickly improving and offers us good regional rivalries)
Uniforms: N/A (They are going to roll out new jerseys this year, I'd give last year's a B+)
Program Management: F (No bowl games since the 80s; hopefully that changes soon with new coach June Jones)
(didn't get to one)
Thanks. But remember, it can be any sport. That's why I chose TCU's football team (because the basketball teams suck and baseball is good, but I don't know much about their history).

Anyway, good luck next season. Maybe the Ponies will pull off a winning season this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports