Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 10:11 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times

Advertisements

Well my ALMA MATER tends to fair poorly in sports, which is due to many reasons but I still root for them. There are a few other schools I follow though. I watch MAC Football, but no favorite team. I root for WYOMING in football, but again, I like the State but never once lived there. Would say that my old lady's Alma Mater used to have a great basketball program back when she was there, but no so much since then.

But consider too, that sports are entertainment in this great country, and I have met many people here in Florida who went to UF and are Alligator fans while I have met many who never attended college and are still Alligator fans

Same way, I visited Wyoming and really like that state....so I have an interest in how that school is doing in football, for example. Same thing with the MAC ...they show all the games on HULU and they play midweek games, which makes their games in football easy to follow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 10:52 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
I will root for any of the teams in Texas except UT! Proud of Baylor and Texas Tech the last couple years. Same goes with football. I have no idea what happen to TCU playing UGA. !! Didn't expect them to win but not the drubbing they got. :-(

Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
University of South Dakota first and foremost. My whole immediate family went there and my son played football there. I simply can't get myself to ever root for South Dakota State with ONE exception. In the FCS championship game this year I rooted for SDSU only because I was tired of North Dakota State always winning it. Plus, one of the better players on their team my son coached in high school.

Since USD is a mid-major program, I also am a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes in all sports. A couple of my kids and a cousin all lived in Iowa City at one point in time. I will be firmly behind them in both the men's and women's games at the Big Dance.

As a secondary school that I back, I do follow the Nebraska Cornhuskers as well, just not when they're head-to-head against Iowa or USD.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:08 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
When my College (UC) is in the fight, I root for them, They are in the NIT (Not in Tournament,) whoohoo!

If not in tournament, I root for the underdogs. I love upsets that blow out brackets

Old 03-15-2023, 01:57 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan0 View Post
With March Madness coming up, I thought this would be a fun discussion. I know Duke, Notre Dame, and other places have nationwide fanbases, but do you root solely for your alma mater? If not, what connections do you have to your favorite college teams? I know its a huge topic to talk about "Wal Mart fans" vs others... Personally I only root for where I went but Im curious to others.
I went to a D3 school. What's the point in rooting for them?

I root for Penn State because I live in PA now, Rutgers because I grew up in NJ, and Notre Dame just because.

Old 03-15-2023, 03:17 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
I graduated from Penn State and spent three more years in Happy Valley as a working adult a few years later. But fate and the job market also landed me in Omaha for some very good times nearly thirty years further on, and I soon learned of a lot of similarities between the two schools -- and in no small part because my family's farm background puts me at ease with another "cow college" that found its way into the big leagues. So there were very few as pleased as I when the Cornhuskers joined the Big Ten, or Big Twelve, or ...?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-15-2023 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2023, 07:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Well, the now-defunct Computer Learning Center didn't have any teams. Computer nerds tend to not be Olympian champions or competitive athletes.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:15 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
I've been with UCLA since I was a child going to summer sports camp through the YMCA there. With any other school if the Bruins are out is normally a game to game temporary alliance.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:17 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,249 times
I hope that more colleges will become places of actual higher learning and eliminate the sports programs altogether. Such a waste of time.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:38 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I hope that more colleges will become places of actual higher learning and eliminate the sports programs altogether. Such a waste of time.
I do too. Sports were unimportant at my undergraduate school. I enjoyed crew in college. Good exercise and a good way to reduce stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports