Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite tennis champ of all time?
Billie Jean King 0 0%
Boris Becker 1 25.00%
Martina Navratilova 1 25.00%
Bjorn Borg 0 0%
Chris Everett-Lloyd 0 0%
John McEnroe 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:23 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,284 times

Advertisements

I remember the exciting days of Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe,
Martina Navratilova and Chris Everett.

Anyone else disappointed with today's tennis champs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 11:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post

Anyone else disappointed with today's tennis champs?
What is there to be disappointed about? Other than I think some of the Russian and Serbian European women are bit of crybabies.

The Men:
I guess there isnt much to get excited about here because there isnt a true American superstar (Roddick ranked 8th by ATP and Blake ranked 10th). The excitement has come from the Federer vs. Nadal performances which have been outstanding.

The Women:
This one hands down goes to the Williamses. They are the reason that the women's tour is much more exciting and get better viewer ratings than the men's tour. They are also the only two Americans ranked in the top 20 (Serena #2; Venus #6).

Navratalova and Everett have both gone on record in saying that Women's Tennis now is much more exciting than ever thanks to the Williams sisters. They have also said that today's athletes are much superior to when they played.

Why are you disappointed with tennis today?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,642 times
None of the above. Where's Connors, Sampras, Laver, Lendl, Edberg?

The level of tennis today is just as good as it ever was with Federer, Nadal, the Williams sisters, etc. I suppose tennis was a bit more colorful in the 70's though, as some of those players had nasty tempers. Do we need bad boys today to make tennis more interesting?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
None of the above. Where's Connors, Sampras, Laver, Lendl, Edberg?

The level of tennis today is just as good as it ever was with Federer, Nadal, the Williams sisters, etc. I suppose tennis was a bit more colorful in the 70's though, as some of those players had nasty tempers. Do we need bad boys today to make tennis more interesting?

That's probably it. I'm missing Mac's temper tantrums-lol. Daddy, I meant to include them but didn't. Connors was a biggy to me.

The sisters, although excellent, just don't do it for me for some reason. I did enjoy watching Martina Hingis and Steffi Graf in the recent past if that counts.

I still miss the players I mentioned maybe just because of the times they represented.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
I still miss the players I mentioned maybe just because of the times they represented.
Thats probably it. I wasnt a big fan of tennis in those days (too young) but I feel the same way about football as you do about tennis. I miss seeing Bud Grant with his menacing stare, Tom Landry and his top hat, Walter Payton doing it all and never complaining.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 PM

155 posts, read 733,591 times
Sampras
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports