Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Typical. And Americans wonder why the rest of the world can't stand us.
Did I say "who gives a **** about soccer?" No, I didn't. Get a ****ing clue. I want the sport to take off in this nation but a bunch of front-running douchebags who root for English football corporations like Arsenal do nothing but stunt that growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:05 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Did I say "who gives a **** about soccer?" No, I didn't. Get a ****ing clue. I want the sport to take off in this nation but a bunch of front-running douchebags who root for English football corporations like Arsenal do nothing but stunt that growth.
What you said was "EPL? Who gives a ****?" Well, obviously the OP does. Your initial response was rude, incendiary, and uncalled for, as was your juvenile name calling in the last post, which I'm suprised a mod hasn't deleted and warned you about.

Not only that, but I fail to see how supporting the EPL stunts any potential growth for the sport domestically. Soccer (football) will never be as big in the U.S. as it is internationally anyway. Judging by your input, I suspect you're more interested in picking a fight than contributing something of substance to this particular thread.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Not only that, but I fail to see how supporting the EPL stunts any potential growth for the sport domestically.
1. Glory-hunters say "I want to follow a team that is the best in the world."

2. They ignore MLS, even becoming so full of themselves and their new Anglophilic image that they degrade the quality of play.

3. MLS loses potential fans who even happen to like soccer, but like bandwagons more.

4. The league stagnates financially, never reaching its full potential of all soccer fans in the country, let alone those not accustomed to the sport yet.

5. Growth has been stunted.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
Please, ladies, please. Can't we all just get along? *big, sombre eyes*

NHL: Rangers
NFL: Jets
MLB: Mets (although my following of baseball is casual, almost to the point of nonexistence)
NBA: Knicks
EPL: Aston Villa - The pride of Birmingham.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:12 PM

616 posts, read 1,162,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, and EPL teams?

Yankees, Giants, Rangers, Knicks, Arsenal here.

MLB- Oakland A's (surprise)
NFL- Dolphins, Seahawks, Steelers
NBA- Lakers

I don't follow hockey at all though I'd really like to check out a game some time.

Same with soccer. I haven't followed a game since my brothers played in the 70's (got to meet the famous, Pele when he came to the Bay Area in the same time period-WOWWY!)

Shout out to the Georgia Bulldogs for college football!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
NFL: Packers. Fan for 26+ years, and a shareholder!
NHL: Red Wings. Born and raised in Michigan.
MLB: Meh. Casual fan. I'll watch the Tigers or Cubs if they make the postseason.
NBA: No interest.
EPL: No interest.

No love for rugby? Aussie rules? I mean, as long as we're throwing English soccer into the mix, why not?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
No love for rugby? Aussie rules? I mean, as long as we're throwing English soccer into the mix, why not?
I [try to] follow Aussie rules, rugby league/union, Canadian football, Gaelic football, hurling and shinty. As for soccer, though, we have MLS so why waste it?

I remember there's a poster here from Invercargill who likes rugby union.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
I [try to] follow Aussie rules, rugby league/union, Canadian football, Gaelic football, hurling and shinty. As for soccer, though, we have MLS so why waste it?

Bing bing bing, here I am, and wow, good memory , I would rep you for remembering but I have to spread it round first.

Onto the orignal point of why not put Aussie rules, rugby league/union etc , I think the OP intended it to be American sports with the exception of the MLS and replaced it with the EPL.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,988,851 times
MLB: Red Sox
NFL: Patriots
NBA: Celtics
NHL: Bruins (but a very casual observer; I blame it on the fact that I can't skate!)
EPL: Absolutely no interest.

Yes, my directv bill is outrageous!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:

If were talking Aussie Rules give me the Freo Dockers!

EPL: Spurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports