Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times

Advertisements

They finally got Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta to commit to a race. This is bigger than the failed Mayweather/Pacquiao match-up. The two females will square off in the 1 1/8 Apple Blossom Stakes at Oaklawn Park on 09APR10. The purse has been raised to $5 million in what will surely be a highly anticipated race and the greatest sporting event in Arkansas history.

Last year Rachel Alexandra was American horse of the year while Zenyatta dominated the Breeders' Cup Classic against a world class field of colts. Consensus says these two are the best racehorses in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
They finally got Rachel Alexandra and Zenyatta to commit to a race. This is bigger than the failed Mayweather/Pacquiao match-up. The two females will square off in the 1 1/8 Apple Blossom Stakes at Oaklawn Park on 09APR10. The purse has been raised to $5 million in what will surely be a highly anticipated race and the greatest sporting event in Arkansas history.

Last year Rachel Alexandra was American horse of the year while Zenyatta dominated the Breeders' Cup Classic against a world class field of colts. Consensus says these two are the best racehorses in the world.
Kinda early in the season, I think.

I think the race distance favors, Rachel.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM

Default going to enjoy this race

I too am a little surprised that these two champs are meeting this early in the year. Keep in mind they extended this race to 1 1/8th not the normal 1 1/16th that they usually run down there. This is a race I am really looking forward too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Kinda early in the season, I think.

I think the race distance favors, Rachel.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
I too am a little surprised that these two champs are meeting this early in the year. Keep in mind they extended this race to 1 1/8th not the normal 1 1/16th that they usually run down there. This is a race I am really looking forward too.
Didn't they change the date of the race to accomodate RA?

I heard they are hoping to have a couple of meetings throughout the season. Don't know if I'd be doing this if Zenyatta was my hose.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I don't know anything about horse racing, but I just moved to Hot Springs. This will be my first ever horse race to see.

BTW, April 10 is the Arkansas Derby, which is the last live racing day of the Oaklawn season. They couldn't have the race any later unless they had a one-off race.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Default lucky you

Lucky you, you will be spoiled going to the the biggest American race in decades. There should be 75K people at Oaklawn that day; a real special event. Both mares went undefeated last year and ran monster races against colts. This match is a highly contested race for horse fans. You could go to a thousand races and not see a showdown of this caliber. My $100 will be on Rachel Alexandra. Here are videos of their two signature performances.

http://www.breederscup.com/content.aspx?id=41558

http://www.breederscup.com/division.aspx?divisionname=classic (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I don't know anything about horse racing, but I just moved to Hot Springs. This will be my first ever horse race to see.

BTW, April 10 is the Arkansas Derby, which is the last live racing day of the Oaklawn season. They couldn't have the race any later unless they had a one-off race.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 02-14-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Lucky you, you will be spoiled going to the the biggest American race in decades. There should be 75K people at Oaklawn that day; a real special event. Both mares went undefeated last year and ran monster races against colts. This match is a highly contested race for horse fans. You could go to a thousand races and not see a showdown of this caliber. My $100 will be on Rachel Alexandra. Here are videos of their two signature performances.

'Rachel' captures Woodward

Breeders' Cup Classic (http://www.breederscup.com/division.aspx?divisionname=classic - broken link)
Hands down if this was a match race I would put a 1,000 on Rachel. But since we don't know who else is going to enter it's way to early to be picking a winner just yet. Way to many variables to consider- Pace,track conditions,field (how big or small),weather, form of the horses (very early in the season for these two). Yes you might like one over the other but I'll wait until 5 minutes to post to put my money down! P.S. I'm leaning towards Z at this point

Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 AM

Default A video preview of the race

YouTube - Zenyatta v Rachel Alexandra -- The Best

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
The race is off. Rachel Alexandra lost her first race of the season last week and her owner pulled her from the Apple Blossom. Zenyatta will still be there, but I doubt the $5 million purse will stay.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:44 PM

Default $500K purse

The purse will be $500K with only Zenyatta starting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
The race is off. Rachel Alexandra lost her first race of the season last week and her owner pulled her from the Apple Blossom. Zenyatta will still be there, but I doubt the $5 million purse will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports