Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 AM

15 posts, read 35,346 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. My wife is considering a job in Springfield and I want to start planning for a trip. I want to do my best to make sure she has a great impression of the area.

We both grew up (mostly) in southeast MO, so we know a good bit about what to expect. However, we've been away from MO for several years due to a military career, and my wife has not wanted to return. I really want to get back to MO and hope this works out. Some of her issues with MO are beyond your help, unless you can arrange for perfect weather. However, I could use some information to help me plan for a positive experience. I want to avoid the ugly and focus on the good. I'm looking for tips on everything - where to stay, what neighborhoods to visit, what attractions to see, and what to avoid (run down, trashy areas, etc.)

We're both working professionals, tax payers, conservative, and community minded people. We have interests in the arts, historical attractions, equestrian activities, farmers markets, ethnic food, festivals and other community events. A drive through one or two "good" neighborhoods (good meaning suitable for us) would be nice. Specifically, neighborhoods within 1/2 hour commute of the university with properties suitable for horse peolpe would be nice to see. Time permitting, we might include a trip to Branson/Silver Dollar City if folks think it would add to the positive.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by show me boy; 09-21-2011 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Check out this place!
Valley Water Mill Park Equestrian Center-Springfield (for some reason I can't get the link to work)

Also, you will only be a couple hours from Eminence, MO which is THE place in southern MO for trail riding. Very horse-friendly with a blacksmith shop right in town, and lots of campgrounds for RVs, some with stalls. It is also right on the Jacks Fork and Current rivers, if you like float trips.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:19 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by show me boy View Post
Hi folks. My wife is considering a job in Springfield and I want to start planning for a trip. I want to do my best to make sure she has a great impression of the area.

We both grew up (mostly) in southeast MO, so we know a good bit about what to expect. However, we've been away from MO for several years due to a military career, and my wife has not wanted to return. I really want to get back to MO and hope this works out. Some of her issues with MO are beyond your help, unless you can arrange for perfect weather. However, I could use some information to help me plan for a positive experience. I want to avoid the ugly and focus on the good. I'm looking for tips on everything - where to stay, what neighborhoods to visit, what attractions to see, and what to avoid (run down, trashy areas, etc.)

We're both working professionals, tax payers, conservative, and community minded people. We have interests in the arts, historical attractions, equestrian activities, farmers markets, ethnic food, festivals and other community events. A drive through one or two "good" neighborhoods (good meaning suitable for us) would be nice. Specifically, neighborhoods within 1/2 hour commute of the university with properties suitable for horse peolpe would be nice to see. Time permitting, we might include a trip to Branson/Silver Dollar City if folks think it would add to the positive.

Thanks in advance!
Being that this is a planning trip for a potential move, if I was your wife and figured out you were keeping me "sheltered" during the decision-making process I'd be furious.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 PM

firebll31, thanks for the tips.

Curmudgeon, I think you might be reading too much into this. I am only hoping to ensure a good first impression, not "shelter" my wife or pull some scam on her. She's no pushover. Additionally, we're looking at the area for her career, not mine. That means she is in the driver's seat on this one. I'm confident that she would appreciate my efforts as she also prefers to have positive experiences and does not wish to waste her time or spend it in places she doesn't enjoy. In fact, this sort of scouting and planning is a very normal part of our routine, whether it's for a vacation or a move. She counts on it.

As I mentioned, my wife already has some issues with MO. I have moved enough and traveled enough to know that every area has both good an bad. If we only have a couple of days in town, I want them to be positive, and I want to ensure that we gather relevant information for our decision process. That means I want us to see the kinds of places we would end up living and spending our time anyway, if we move there. No sense wasting time looking at places that don't meet our needs and ending up with a sense that what we want doesn't exist there.

Curmudgeon, I've seen a lot of your posts and gathered some good info on the area already. Thank you. I've also noted that you have pointed out a lot of the negatives. Thanks for that info too. But please don't be so suspicious. I'm not out to "get" anyone, and certainly not the love of my life. If you don't trust me, don't offer any tips, but please don't discourage others from helping me.

Cheers!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 PM

Forum folks, I have sifted through a lot of posts over the last few days and pulled out some great info already. Thanks to you, I have an extensive list of places to eat. I also have some very general ideas about the city and some vague notions about the surrounding towns. I still have some major information holes though. For example, maybe Republic is a nice town with good places to eat and affordable housing, but the commute to the university would be painful. Or maybe the Strafford area is a real gem with everything we want. Or maybe the best shopping and dining is all in the southeast. Or maybe the northwest edge of the city is undergoing some great revitalization. Or... Or maybe the opposite is true for all of these.

Thanks again to all!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 AM

694 posts, read 1,356,236 times
Quote:
Or maybe the Strafford area is a real gem with everything we want.
I have not offered any advice on your question because each has their own likes/dislikes and to offer opinions on what would impress your wife - is difficult without knowing her like you do. If you are home bodies, then where you will be living will be priority. If you like to get away for the weekend, then I would spend far less time showing any one particular area you might want to live in, and show the region you will be traveling.

With that said, Strafford is not exactly what I would call one of the 'impressive' aspects of the Springfield region. It's mostly know as an Interstate 44 truck stop (now two, soon to be 3 of them) and a local police speed trap. The town is split in two by an active rail line that is well used, and a population of a little over 2000.

Take a short drive out east of Springfield on Chestnut Expressway, east of 65 highway. The road is narrow but if you drive slow and look back into the trees, you will see some of the nicest homes in the area. When you get to Highway 125, take a right, cross the James River and at the stop light at the top of the hill, take another right back toward Springfield. This is Sunshine in Springfield. There are lots of small country roads inside this area and between Sunshine and Battlefield, all east of 65 that show some of the best of Springfield housing.

And for weekend trips - just point the car in any direction and go. My personal favorite is southwest into Stone County, thru Cassville, and eventually to Eureka Springs, AR. This time of year, there is a town fall festival about every weekend, Fair Grove is the big one this weekend. Fall is also a good time to take a day trip to the George Washington Carver National Park, or visit Wilson's Creek National Battlefield. Branson and Camdenton are touristy but better for locals to visit this time of year when they are quieter. Nearly every state trout farm, like Roaring River State Park to the southwest and Bennett Spring State Park to the northeast, is built around a large natural spring. Depending on how close you live to Springfield, you are about an hours drive from Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kansas, a fact that made Joplin a hangout for 1930's bank robbers and big city mobsters. In less than four hours you can be in St Louis, Kansas City, or Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Ok, enough rambling. Hope you guys find an area you both can love, whether it be in Southwest Missouri or elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
firebll31, thanks for the tips.

Curmudgeon, I think you might be reading too much into this. I am only hoping to ensure a good first impression, not "shelter" my wife or pull some scam on her. She's no pushover. Additionally, we're looking at the area for her career, not mine. That means she is in the driver's seat on this one. I'm confident that she would appreciate my efforts as she also prefers to have positive experiences and does not wish to waste her time or spend it in places she doesn't enjoy. In fact, this sort of scouting and planning is a very normal part of our routine, whether it's for a vacation or a move. She counts on it.

As I mentioned, my wife already has some issues with MO. I have moved enough and traveled enough to know that every area has both good an bad. If we only have a couple of days in town, I want them to be positive, and I want to ensure that we gather relevant information for our decision process. That means I want us to see the kinds of places we would end up living and spending our time anyway, if we move there. No sense wasting time looking at places that don't meet our needs and ending up with a sense that what we want doesn't exist there.

Curmudgeon, I've seen a lot of your posts and gathered some good info on the area already. Thank you. I've also noted that you have pointed out a lot of the negatives. Thanks for that info too. But please don't be so suspicious. I'm not out to "get" anyone, and certainly not the love of my life. If you don't trust me, don't offer any tips, but please don't discourage others from helping me.

Cheers!
It wasn't a suspicion, just a caution, however clumsily presented. Still a work in progress here and tend to shoot straight. And your points are well thought-out and taken.

I concur with SW MO Dave, a drive down through Stone County and into AR would give her a very good preview of the beauty and diversity of landscape and nature of the Ozarks that is sure to please. Of course, living on Table Rock Lake in Stone Co. I have to admit to a wee bit of a bias for the area.

You might even want to take her for lunch or dinner to Lambert's Café in Ozark - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls just for the experience, local flavor and the food is OK too with a number of free "pass arounds" that come by your table regularly. Just hope you catch well since the rolls are decidedly "throwed," not lobbed. They're also delicious. You won't leave hungry.

Best of luck to both of you. Hope it turns out to be a great experience.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Default How do I edit?

Curmudgeon,

Thanks for the nice response. I wrote my earlier reply to you in a bit of haste and late at night. As soon as I figure out how to edit, I'll try to tone that down to a simple explanation of my intent. And looking back I can see how my first email seemed like I might be up to some trickery.

Thanks too for the information on your area. I always wanted to do some fishing down in that area. Lamberts is a good idea too. Being originally from southeast MO, we are familiar with the original Lamberts (it started in Sikeston) and my wife will enjoy that.

Cheers!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Curmudgeon,

Thanks for the nice response. I wrote my earlier reply to you in a bit of haste and late at night. As soon as I figure out how to edit, I'll try to tone that down to a simple explanation of my intent. And looking back I can see how my first email seemed like I might be up to some trickery.

Thanks too for the information on your area. I always wanted to do some fishing down in that area. Lamberts is a good idea too. Being originally from southeast MO, we are familiar with the original Lamberts (it started in Sikeston) and my wife will enjoy that.

Cheers!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Show Me,
We are horsey folk too, as someone else mentioned, Eminence is an awesome little horsey town, and a beautiful drive to it too, it has an old west looking Main Street, False Fronts and boardwalk, Tack and Blacksmith shops..
In Springfield check out Coltons, two good size stores one Western wear and one tack..When we there they had plenty of info about nearby Rodeo's, ChuckWagon Races, Cutting and Ranch Horse Shows, give you something to do at night time she might like :-)
Also not to far East of Springfield is a town named Ava, it's the headquarters of the Missouri Fox Trotter Association.
Southern Missouri is an equestrian paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area