Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 PM

140 posts, read 676,870 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm heading out to Utah among other places next week. I am going to spend a couple days in the Grand Canyon. I had wanted to visit both Zion and Bryce afterwards, but I don't think I have enough time in my schedule. If you had your choice of Bryce or Zion, which would you choose and why?

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 PM

154 posts, read 535,963 times
Just came back from Bryce and Zion last week. I hope the weather holds for you. I definitely was more taken with Bryce than I was with Zion. Bryce was unlike any other formation I have ever seen. At Bryce you are usually looking down onto the hoodoo formations. The colors of the rocks are beautiful and change with the clouds passing or with the time of day. Zion is also lovely but it is a bit more crowded and you are looking up at huge rock formations. Also, when we went you had to take a shuttle bus around the main parts of Zion. But by the time you go you may be allowed to drive those roads since it won't be as busy a tourist time.

I guess I just found Bryce to be more charming and breathtaking. But you can't go wrong with Zion. You will love the Grand Canyon.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 PM

22 posts, read 75,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondHalf View Post
f you had your choice of Bryce or Zion, which would you choose and why?
they're both great and they're both different and you'll kick yourself if you miss either. If you use Kanab as a home base you can visit both in one day (or one long afternoon if you're really short of time)

and, if you have time to spend a night or two, check out Ruby's Inn near Bryce.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
I'd say it depends on a few things. If you are really into hiking, you might want to go with Zion as there are considerably more options for hiking there. It will also likely be quite a bit warmer in Zion, since the altitude in Bryce is between 8000 and 9000 feet. There are also more choices for accomodations. On the other hand, Bryce is my personal favorite. As a matter of fact, it is one of my three favorite places in the world to visit. It is absolutely spectacular and very, very unique. Seriously, you couldn't go wrong visiting either one of them. If your time is really limited, you may have to choose between them, but they are only an hour and a half away from each other.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:18 PM

75 posts, read 60,268 times
Go to the Grand canyon, look over the edge and then move on. Split your remaining time between Zions and Bryce. Both are great.
A lot of people find the Grand Canyon disappointing. I don't know anyone one thats ever been disappointed with Bryce and ZIon.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Says Who? View Post
Go to the Grand canyon, look over the edge and then move on. Split your remaining time between Zions and Bryce. Both are great.
A lot of people find the Grand Canyon disappointing. I don't know anyone one thats ever been disappointed with Bryce and ZIon.
I agree. You do what is mentioned above, and you go ...
Dang, that is a big hole !!!
Then you turn around and wonder what all those people are doing here with you ???
Then you pick up any souvenir and you see the word *China* a million times !

You go to Bryce and you go ...
Whoa ... and you can not stop looking.

Zion is a pain in the neck (from looking up all the time !)

BTW, you can hike in Bryce, but make sure you are *up to it*.
Good shoes and plenty of water !!!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
I agree. You do what is mentioned above, and you go ...
Dang, that is a big hole !!!
Then you turn around and wonder what all those people are doing here with you ???
Then you pick up any souvenir and you see the word *China* a million times !

You go to Bryce and you go ...
Whoa ... and you can not stop looking.

Zion is a pain in the neck (from looking up all the time !)

BTW, you can hike in Bryce, but make sure you are *up to it*.
Good shoes and plenty of water !!

Most people won't properly appreciate the Grand Canyon unless they are prepared to at least a little hiking. You can do day trips that will take you a mile or two into the canyon that will show you what the GC is really all about.

I personally have hiked to the bottom at least eight times and I have hiked rim to rim 3 times.

There is a trail along the south rim of the canyon that one can walk for a bit that would be good for those who don't have the time to go to the bottom or are not physically able to do so.

If all you do is drive from lookout to lookout its not that much of a trip.

As far as Zion goes, it is a beautiful park. However, I've always felt its been a bit overrated. The weather is good because of is more southerly location. Bryce on the other hand has more stunning colors, more stunning vistas, and the trails that lead into the canyon are spectacular. The weather, though, is limiting and because of its high altitude its one of the colder and snowier places in the state and winter can last quite a long time at Bryce Canyon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: