Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 AM

60 posts, read 131,732 times

Advertisements

Does it seem that despite the fact that the STG area is relatively fast growing, we have some unnecesary road projects currently going on and up-coming, taking a toll on local tax payers? Don't get me wrong, both the Dixie Drive and STG Blvd interchanges were welcomed and needed improvements IMO, but the latest reconstruction of building a freeway-like interchange including an overpass at Snow Canyon/RedHills and Bluff seems a little over kill and definetely unnecessary.
UDOT really has it's greedy eyes on the St George-area with projects lined up in the near future, including a 'jug handle' interchange at Sunset and Bluff and a seemingly ridiculous project of removing the dual left-turn lanes on Bluff turning onto St George Blvd.
I'm all for planning and being ahead of the curve in the way of beating/preventing gridlock and bottlenecks, but in all actuality the area still is far from any real gridlock issue, and I find the full-function traffic light set up at the intersection of Snow Canyon and Bluff is just fine for today and well into the future. Afterall, I'm pretty sure they just upgraded those lights with new poles/arms, flashing yellow arrows and additional left-turn lights recently... all to just be taken out and replaced with an overpass??

Last edited by tylerhaynes3; 05-20-2014 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerhaynes3 View Post
UDOT really has it's greedy eyes on the St George-area with projects lined up in the near future,
Is this not part of the *system* attitude ?

There is money available (a budget was set up and approved)
So ... , you do not use it, you loose it ?

If you do not know how crazy our *system* is like,
think of the amount of new cars being built for ever,
and not being sold, so they are *parked* somewhere to just sit there and rust away.

Ever seen neighbourhoods where there are paved roads, but nothing else ?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,670,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you do not know how crazy our *system* is like,
think of the amount of new cars being built for ever,
and not being sold, so they are *parked* somewhere to just sit there and rust away.
Yeah, I've seen that story too. It's actually not real.
snopes.com: Unsold Cars

Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 AM

148 posts, read 459,760 times
Quote:
Does it seem that despite the fact that the STG area is relatively fast growing, we have some unnecesary road projects currently going on and up-coming, taking a toll on local tax payers? Don't get me wrong, both the Dixie Drive and STG Blvd interchanges were welcomed and needed improvements IMO, but the latest reconstruction of building a freeway-like interchange including an overpass at Snow Canyon/RedHills and Bluff seems a little over kill and definetely unnecessary.
UDOT really has it's greedy eyes on the St George-area with projects lined up in the near future, including a 'jug handle' interchange at Sunset and Bluff and a seemingly ridiculous project of removing the dual left-turn lanes on Bluff turning onto St George Blvd.
I'm all for planning and being ahead of the curve in the way of beating/preventing gridlock and bottlenecks, but in all actuality the area still is far from any real gridlock issue, and I find the full-function traffic light set up at the intersection of Snow Canyon and Bluff is just fine for today and well into the future. Afterall, I'm pretty sure they just upgraded those lights with new poles/arms, flashing yellow arrows and additional left-turn lights recently... all to just be taken out and replaced with an overpass??
Couldn't agree more. I live right there, near the Snow and Bluff intersection. I like the improvements and I like the two left turn lanes onto S.G. Blvd. going S. on Bluff. The coming changes will make residential life more difficult in terms of getting there from here and back again. The overpass impresses me as being an unwarranted expense just to avoid one intersection.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:54 PM

175 posts, read 595,311 times
I'm not for doing things just to do things either. However, the one I'm the most excited about is the new bridge over the Virgin River at Mall Drive. I think that one will really make things more convenient for a lot of people. I think long-term, that was a good use of funds. I've also used the new Southern Parkway (Route 7) quite a bit since it opened. Very convenient, especially for getting to Hurricane/Zion. I've noticed a lot more people using it now than when if first opened.

The one I dislike most is the double roundabout at Exit 4 (Brigham Rd). That thing must have been designed by Stanley Kubrick. I always say: "Look kids - Big Ben, Parliment" as a hat tip to European Vacation. You can waste a tank of gas if you get stuck in the inner circle. Ha!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:49 PM

390 posts, read 756,165 times
The one I dislike most is the double roundabout at Exit 4 (Brigham Rd). That thing must have been designed by Stanley Kubrick. I always say: "Look kids - Big Ben, Parliment" as a hat tip to European Vacation. You can waste a tank of gas if you get stuck in the inner circle. Ha! [/quote]

I love a small restaurant off Brigham Rd...but dealing with that stupid "roundabout" is more than I can take!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
The one I dislike most is the double roundabout at Exit 4 (Brigham Rd). That thing must have been designed by Stanley Kubrick. I always say: "Look kids - Big Ben, Parliment" as a hat tip to European Vacation. You can waste a tank of gas if you get stuck in the inner circle. Ha!
I love a small restaurant off Brigham Rd...but dealing with that stupid "roundabout" is more than I can take![/quote]

That thing is diabolical! Leaving Walmart to get back home is nerve-wracking to me. I wonder if signs and lane markers could somehow be updated?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:06 PM

I will never get how people don't understand the Brigham Rd roundabouts. I work at that Walmart and use these everyday with no thought process whatsoever. They are a real no brainer to me, and there's really nothing more they can do to improve that area as there are so many streets that converge together right there. I guess they could possibly permanently close one or two streets that connect to the west roundabout and revamp the entire interchange (again) all together and make it more like the nearby Dixie or Southern Pkwy exits...hence waste even more local dollars.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I will never get how people don't understand the Brigham Rd roundabouts. I work at that Walmart and use these everyday with no thought process whatsoever. They are a real no brainer to me, and there's really nothing more they can do to improve that area as there are so many streets that converge together right there. I guess they could possibly permanently close one or two streets that connect to the west roundabout and revamp the entire interchange (again) all together and make it more like the nearby Dixie or Southern Pkwy exits...hence waste even more local dollars.
I agree that if I used it every day I'd be ok with it. It would be automatic. As a very infrequent user I try to memorize where to jump left and when to jump right so I don't get scraped off. A map to study would be great--it would hold still while I get a clear visual of all the options! Going to look for that right now!

Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Wow, I'm def not alone in my thinking, check out an article at stgnews.com on the Bluff/Snow Canyon overpass.
Also, I like seeing the ideas some people had that the City should've built tunnels through both the east and west black hills making for SG Blvd to be a constant thoroughfare connecting Santa Clara with Washington and beyond, prior to development west of west black hill and east of the east hill. That would have indeed eliminated the present day grid issues, particularly east-west corridors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George