Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 AM

396 posts, read 653,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-dupont-west end View Post
It seems there is some confusion here. I'm seeing several posters seeming to conclude that the stats as quoted by moorlander compare apples and oranges. The list cites the crime statistics for an entire metropolitan area, and does so consistently. It's not comparing say St. Louis the city against Kansas City the entire metropolitan area. If it did, then I'd buy your argument.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf (broken link)

The list cites city proper only, political bounaries, not metros.

If St. Louis politcal boundary's were the same size as say a KC's (318 +/- miles -KC vs. 65 +/- miles-STL) we know our crime rate would be less, because given our metro ranks 103 in the nation, we know that increasing the boundries would have to lower crime.

The idea is that using a politcal boundary to determine this is pointless given the great variety in sizes and configurations of cities int he US.

Using a metro gives you a better idea because it is divided evenly amongst the entire population

Thus we are not the most dangerous place in the US, we are 103rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM

76 posts, read 235,616 times
Hey, let's look on the bright side. These polls are read by and, more importantly, believed by people of "lesser" intelligence. Maybe the stats, while grossly misleading, will keep those individuals from moving here and diluting the gene pool? Whenever I hear someone mention the poll with a straight face, I immediately know they (1) read Yahoo! News too much, and (2) are unable or too lazy to follow up on the data.
***As an aside, this is written with a fair amount of tongue in cheek, please save your breath (or key strokes) if you plan on writing a retort***

Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-dupont-west end View Post
It seems there is some confusion here. I'm seeing several posters seeming to conclude that the stats as quoted by moorlander compare apples and oranges. The list cites the crime statistics for an entire metropolitan area, and does so consistently. It's not comparing say St. Louis the city against Kansas City the entire metropolitan area. If it did, then I'd buy your argument.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf (broken link)
So you truly see no issue with comparing St. Louis' 61 sq/miles of land and a density of 5,760 sq/mi with Kansas City's 318 sq/mi of land and an average density of only 1,437 sq/mi?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
As a recent resident, I was saddened to see this report and recognize it is a bit skewed. I haven't had a problem to date--maybe because we tend to bit conservative and not be out banging around at 2 am on the weekends. I pay my taxes, use common sense, and do my best to be a positive person. My hat is off to my neighbors...we appreciate this city and look forward to being here for a long time to come.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM

^ I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the area! Where are you living?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,468 times
kansas city has many suburban and even some rural areas within its city limits, which are included in these crime stats. by contrast, st. louis's city limits are 100% urban in development and demographics. as stated before, apples and oranges. a lot of cities would be deemed far more "dangerous" if the assessment only focused on the 61 square mile radius of their most urban area.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
^Well put. Which is why city-to-city comparisons are senseless.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM

266 posts, read 464,053 times
I understand that when you merge the city and county together that St. Louis isn't the most dangerous. However, that still remains that St. Louis city is the most dangerous...correct?

Before you attack me, I don't really care one way or the other. I'm just saying that the stats came from somewhere and a lot of people in this thread come off as being biased.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM

Please point out evidence in this thread of bias. Unless you consider stating facts as bias, I've seen none.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
The city being a part of the county won't do anything to change the stats or take the city off the most dangerous list.

The part that people don't seem to get is that it isn't intellectually honest or fair to compare cities that are 61 square miles against cities that are 300 square miles. A more accurate assessment would take the same square miles measured out from the urban core and compare those results.

Or take cities with unique geographic characteristics such as Washington DC, Baltimore, St. Louis, and New York and develop a specialized method of measuring crime statistics by comparing the areas within 10 to 20 miles of the city proper.

Of course this would require a lot more work, but even a student of elementary statistics could tell you that for comparitive purposes, the CQ method is junk. And although I don't have the numbers or tools to do the work myself, I have a feeling that if you included St. Louis county inside of I-170 then St. Louis would still be in the top 10 or top 20 "most dangerous". But it sure as hell would not be #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis