Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 32,043 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to the St. Louis area rather quickly and I have no clue where to begin. What areas are safe and family oriented while having a reasonable commute to St. Louis (South Second Street) to be exact? Also, where are some good school districts? What can I expect to pay for a nice rental? Lastly, how is the cost of living out there? Right now, I am living in DC. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Hi WorkingWoman!

First off, you'll find that St. Louis and surrounds are a LOT cheaper than Washington DC.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I used to live in Maryland Heights in a 1 bedroom apartment in one of the better complexes. Rent was about $600/month by the time I left but from their website the prices seem comparable about now.

My commute to work (downtown on 18th and Market) generally took me about 25 minutes and change (I used to allow myself 45 minutes in case of traffic, but it didn't take this long except in snow), so I wouldn't expect it to take you too much longer to get to 2nd St.

Maryland Heights is split between the Parkway and Pattonville School Districts- Pattonville is okay but Parkway is considered better. The best school district I always heard was Ladue but property in that district is distinctly higher. Parkway School District covers a lot of Creve Coeur in addition to some county and some Maryland Heights, and you'll find those regions a little more affordable than Ladue.

I would love to move back to Maryland Heights, but as my husband and I are buying outright in cash, our budget won't permit us to get something there that will suit our needs. The Western Side of Maryland Heights (West of I270) is great, it's got some very nice neighborhoods, and Creve Coeur Lake which is stunning and nice to walk / bike near. It's also got a Schnucks Grocery store, a great Thai Restaurant in addition to some other restaurants / fast food joints, plus everything at Westport Plaza immediately to the east of I270 (St. Louis Bread Co, Starbucks, and some restaurants / bars). As a then single female, I always felt safe in Maryland Heights and there's always plenty of rentals so I would suggest starting your search there and then broadening it to Creve Coeur etc.

If you are looking for more of an "old town" historic atmosphere however, I bet that some people are going to suggest Kirkwood, Webster Groves, or even St. Charles. All are really nice areas, although I'm not as well informed on the prices / school districts. St Charles would be a little further to work for you, but Kirkwood and Webster Groves probably a little less than Maryland Heights' commute. Clayton I bet will also be suggested, another area known for it's school district but is usually more expensive.

Honestly, it just depends on what you're looking for. Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur are definitely 'suburbia' whereas Kirkwood and Webster Groves have some older, quainter properties giving them a 'small town' kind of feel.

A quick search on Zillow tells me that a 3 bed, 2 bath in Maryland Heights will set you back about $1200 a month (assuming you're looking for a family sized property), Creve Coeur a little more at about $1500 plus for a comparable property. About the same for Kirkwood / Webster Groves.

A one bedroom apartment though in a nice area if it's just yourself that's moving, I would guesstimate at just $600+.

Let us know a few more details about if you're moving by yourself or with family, if you like urban/ suburban environments, and what a 'reasonable commute' is to you, and we'd be able to help you more

I'm glad you're moving to St. Louis. I hope you love it as much as I do!

Good Luck!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
What type of area are you looking for (i.e. urban or suburban) and are you wanting to rent a house, apartment, condo, etc?

I'm assuming you have kids to be concerned about given the "family friendly/oriented" neighborhood and good school district requirements. If that's the case, St. Louis City would be essentially ruled out. The best school districts will be found extending from about Clayton, MO and further West and South...doing that will essentially eliminate the possibility of getting into a school district that's not "top tier".

Rental prices will vary depending on the size of the apartment or home you're renting, along with which school district it's in (we have tons of districts). You'd be looking anywhere from $1000-2500/month. Good luck, and check back if you can fill in any blanks, expected rent price, suburban or more urban, etc....there's something for everyone, and often with minimal sacrifices.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks for getting back to me you guys!! From reading your posts, it sounds like I will enjoy the area. I hope so, because I am very nervous. It will just be my son and I. So safety is a pretty big issue for me. As far as a work commute goes...it can be up to 40-45min. I would like to have fairly easy access to my son in the event I need to get to him fairly quickly. (Easy meaning, not battling traffic for an hour or so if possible). But I would love for him to be in a school where I'm not worried about shootings or anything crazy (LOL). I want to know he is getting a good education. I would like to rent in a community with kids..or at least convenient to parks. In the DC area, it is so busy, and I really want to feel a sense of relaxation when I come home you know. Price range, preferably under 1800 is possible, but I am flexible. Does this sound feasible??

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
I would recommend Brentwood, Clayton or Ladue- you could easily find a rental in either area for $1800; and they are excellent (very safe) areas with great school districts and maybe 20 minutes from downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwoman84 View Post
Thanks for getting back to me you guys!! From reading your posts, it sounds like I will enjoy the area. I hope so, because I am very nervous. It will just be my son and I. So safety is a pretty big issue for me. As far as a work commute goes...it can be up to 40-45min. I would like to have fairly easy access to my son in the event I need to get to him fairly quickly. (Easy meaning, not battling traffic for an hour or so if possible). But I would love for him to be in a school where I'm not worried about shootings or anything crazy (LOL). I want to know he is getting a good education. I would like to rent in a community with kids..or at least convenient to parks. In the DC area, it is so busy, and I really want to feel a sense of relaxation when I come home you know. Price range, preferably under 1800 is possible, but I am flexible. Does this sound feasible??

Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Thanks jribe!! I will look into those areas!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:55 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,788 times
Quote:
Sounds like your son is youngish, so being as close to the city of STL is really important. I second jribe's suggestion of either Clayton or Brentwood. They are inner ring suburbs, just outside the city limits. Forget the city of STL schools. They're horrible.

Up to $1800 can get you a very nice apartment in Clayton, which is, along with Ladue (a little further west) one of the two highest rated school district in the St. Louis area. Clayton is very central, chic, a very educated and well off population. It can be perceived as snobby, sure, but if a good school district is a top priority it's hard to go wrong with Clayton. Another aspect is Clayton is very pretty: lots of full brick constructioc, beautiful neighborhoods and a small downtown. No huge apartment complexes, rather, lots of two, four and six family buildings. Youd be close to Forest Park, which is the crown jewel of the many parks and green spaces in the greater STL area:
St. Louis' Forest Park - Top Ten Attractions in Forest Park

Here's a two bedroom 925 sf lovely apartment for $1350/mo:
Luxurious 2 BR Clayton Condo With Many Features Included (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2985019990.html - broken link)
It's in a great location, Westwood and Clayton Road. If you go east on Clayton Road you get directly onto I-64 which goes to the city of STL.

This apartment is a bit further west and north, not by much, though. It's either in the Clayton or Ladue school district, so you can't go wrong in that department:
Renovated condo - Great location! (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2982416547.html - broken link)

One more place in Clayton, in the DeMun neighborhood (be still, my heart....) If you want a beautiful, walkable to everything and safe area, the west area of DeMun is possibly perfect. This apartment, at Concordia and Alamo, has three bedrooms and two full baths, 1855 sf for $1795/mo. Clayton Schools. Captain Elementary is right in the neighborhood on Northwood. There's a little neighborhood park for children at DeMun and San Bonita, Concordia Seminary has so much green space that is very popular with walkers and you can walk to Forest Park:
Clayton Schools ,minutes to WashU, Fontbonne,Concordia,St Mary's hosp (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2973046934.html - broken link)

Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:26 AM

36 posts, read 98,039 times
Working Woman, I second what others have said about heading west. The amenities are great, the people are friendly, it's a growing, living, breathing environment. If anyone tells you to go north, do not listen. Run from them as fast as possible! (I grew up in the north suburbs and hate it). Clayton and the western areas are just so close to all the cultural amenities that you will not regret it.

There's a lot to do in St Louis, but you'll need to seek things out. It's not like New York where you're paralyzed by choice. There will be a show at the Fox Theater, and one at the Muny, and something done by the Black Rep and Wash U's theater department -- they'll be great shows, yes... but there won't be 20 plays on in a weekend that you have to choose between.

Where do you live in DC? I went to college and worked there so I know the area well. If you're looking for something similar in St Louis, let me know and maybe I can make more informed suggestions.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 AM

Hi "inahandbasket" and "Victoria27"!! Thanks for the great information!! Victoria27, I don't want to live anywhere like DC. I prefer somewhere like Manassas Park, or Centreville...maybe Arlington or Fairfax (not sure if you are familiar with those areas of VA). I really appreciate all the suggestions everyone, it helps ease my mind a bit about moving. Especially in the short amount of time I will be moving there. I am looking online in those areas right now!!! Thanks so much!!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Hi "inahandbasket" and "Victoria27"!! Thanks for the great information!! Victoria27, I don't want to live anywhere like DC. I prefer somewhere like Manassas Park, or Centreville...maybe Arlington or Fairfax (not sure if you are familiar with those areas of VA). I really appreciate all the suggestions everyone, it helps ease my mind a bit about moving. Especially in the short amount of time I will be moving there. I am looking online in those areas right now!!! Thanks so much!!
Given those towns you mentioned in Virginia, Arlington = Clayton, Fairfax would equal Webster Groves, maybe Kirkwood, where as Manassas Park and Centreville's St. Louis equivalent would be Ballwin or Fenton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis