Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,732,739 times

Advertisements

As a KC resident you're totally right about hiking opportunities nearby. St. Louis is hands down the winner in that category.

Last edited by aragx6; 07-05-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Here's a nice option in the city: 2 bedroom South City House near Kingshighway/Chippewa (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2453796670.html - broken link)

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM

466 posts, read 1,065,585 times
Thank you aragx6 for the link. Looks nice, but we won't move before September I think.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Thank you aragx6 for the link. Looks nice, but we won't move before September I think.
No worries. It just proves what you're looking for totally exists!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM

All the things I am reading about St. Louis, the positive stuff, like history, dog friendliness, it is getting more for bicycles friendly and so on, but what really scares us is that St. Louis is more dangerous than New York, Detroit, Oakland, Modesto, Stockton....

Old 07-10-2011, 03:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,103,065 times
Quote:
All the things I am reading about St. Louis, the positive stuff, like history, dog friendliness, it is getting more for bicycles friendly and so on, but what really scares us is that St. Louis is more dangerous than New York, Detroit, Oakland, Modesto, Stockton....

Just like anywhere else, you have to live in the right area to be away from the crime. I've lived in the area my entire life, and never once have I been a victim of any crime nor have I ever witnessed any crime. Does crime happen? Of course, but if you stick to the better areas of town you're less likely to ever come across such crime. Of course the same is true for the other cities you listed. They all have good and bad parts of town. I lived just outside of Oakland a few years ago. Went to Oakland all the time, used public transportation to get around, and even stayed at a Motel 6 in Oakland when I first moved there. Of course I knew which areas to avoid, so never saw any crime in Oakland either.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,889,540 times
Quote:
You have to keep in mind that those most dangerous lists are often very misleading because STL has a teeny tiny city line. So when they are gathering information, they gather from a very small portion of the entire metropolitan area. If STL were counted like every other city in the country, we are actually not even in the top 100 most dangerous cities in the US. In fact, we are ranked the 103rd most dangerous city in the country.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 AM

The FBI specifically says to not use crime data to make comparisons between cities but the media obsesses about doing so nonetheless.

All cities have different densities and # of square miles that vastly affects those statistics. And several cities aren't even included -- Chicago being the main example -- because they report several crimes differently than every other city. It's like getting a free pass.

There are several really good threads on this forum that explain why St. Louis gets a particularly unfair shake with these rankings, but I can summarize the gist:

St. Louis City is completely split from St. Louis County unlike nearly every other city in America. Because of this, the city couldn't annex the way most cities have and as such our city limits are an abnormally small 61 sq miles. This makes the city appear more dangerous than it actually is because it has fewer less dense areas to average out.

You can see by this ranking of neighborhoods, that St. Louis doesn't even have one of the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, but places like Orlando, FL and Atlanta, GA do. America's Most Dangerous Neighborhoods: Areas With Violent Crime - ABC News

There are dangerous neighborhoods in St. Louis, no doubt. But it's relatively easy to stay away from them, and there are numerous safe, walkable and vibrant neighborhoods where you could be very happy. That's what you came here for!

Old 09-03-2011, 12:35 PM

We finally decided, St. Louis we are coming at the end September or in the beginning of October. The more information I was reading about St. Louis the more I am thinking it is the right city for us. I think my husband has a good chance to find a truck driving job here where he can be home every night - he is driving for Schneider, so he has a job, but I only see him now once a month for 3-4 days. That is just not enough.
I am looking into volunteering for animal shelters, I want to become a dog trainer, and I found great once in St. Louis. And I also saw today there is an Endangered Wolf Sanctuary in Eureka, only about 30 min. from St. Louis. Wow, so cool, I love wolves - all canine actually. And most animals, except crawlers, like spiders. (shudder)
Anyway, now we have to decide where we start to look for a rental in our price range. I look on craigslist, but there isn't to much, I hope we find something fast when we come with our uhaul. If you have any ideas, that would be great.
We know North and East St. Louis are bad areas, are there any other neighborhood we should avoid?

Old 09-03-2011, 02:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,058,513 times
refresh me please, are you wanting urban, suburban, or country living? I saw your price range earlier. As to what's good and bad, East St. Louis is bad (it's a small city just across the Mississippi River, in Illinois...it's not in Missouri, and it's not in any way officially tied to the city of St. Louis except by name. Also, there are plenty of nice areas in Illinois if you're willing to drive past East St. Louis to get to them (i.e. Belleville, Shiloh, O'Fallon IL, Fairview Heights, or further south in Columbia, Millstadt, or Waterloo).

If you're wanting to stick to the Missouri Side, North St. Louis City is pretty rough, but North St. Louis county is ok. Neighborhoods from Hazelwood, and Florissant are pretty good. Furgeson is ok, but has some bad pockets, i'd personally avoid Berkley, and Jennings as they're exceptionally blighted from years of corrupt politicians, airport zoning, and are as a result in pretty bad shape. Bridgeton and Maryland Heights are good areas, and we're perfectly happy in St. Ann, MO. Overland is pretty nice also, but notes on St. Ann and Overland, both have some somewhat more sketchy areas...St. Ann North of St. Charles Rock road towards the airport can be a little shady, or East into Breckenridge Hills. Same can be said going West out of Overland. St. John is overall pretty nice, and as you move further south and west of the areas mentioned towards West County prices go up substantially...as does quality of school districts, and ego's of home owners . Good luck in your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis