Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM

466 posts, read 1,062,655 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are thinking of moving to St. Louis. He is a truck driver and I am learning to become a dog trainer. We have one dog, Labrador-mix and we are looking for a 2 bedroom house for around 600-700 dollars a month in a safe neighborhood. Is that possible? Thank you in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
That's going to be a touch low if you want a single family house, but should be doable. I would look in Florissant, Ferguson and Hazelwood for starters. There are also some neighborhoods on the southwest side of the city that might work as well.

If you're on Criaglist and you see a listing with something like this: "GCNWQ ($)" at the end, it's a scam. Don't bother to call.

Here's a place in St. Ann that would work: Beautiful 2 Bed All Brick Duplex (http://stlouis.craigslist.org/apa/2467667944.html - broken link)

Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 PM

Thank you, aragx6. We were looking on craigslist - thank you tip how to recognize a certain scam - and we will look into the neighborhoods you are mentioning. So, St. Louis is now on top of our list again.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Feel free to post any you see from Craigslist to get more information on the neighborhood it's in. And anything else you need to know too!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Also be sure to go to realtor.com as there are a fair number of SFHs listed on the MLS.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
Don't know where you're planning on running the dog training business out of, but local municipalities might have ordinances against certain things, specificially those run out of your home. I can't remember what the pet limit is for St. Ann, but it might be worth looking into. Anyway, as a St. Ann resident, we do have a plethora of 2 BR homes, and we have very affordable rent...which is great! the bad thing on this little section is that some of the homes are in a somewhat "sketchy" part of St. Ann, and it can vary by street. My work blocks craigslist ads but i'll be sure to take a look when i get home to let you get a better idea of the neighborhood (if you'd like).

The other areas mentioned would work well too...really kinda suprised that ARAG didn't mention more of the city, lol...she's kinda a stickler for it. You may also want to include St. Charles County, as well as places in South St. Louis County too...If the business is going to be out of the home, i'm sure having some yard space would be beneficial for your training. Good luck

Old 06-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Thanks, aragx6, we will do that. I think the best thing for us will be that we move our stuff into storage and than drive around - and looking on craigslist, newspaper, etc. - while living in a motel6. We have done that before. Because we live at the moment at the Oregon coast, we can't rent anything "blind". I put this threat to see if it is possible, to get something around 600-700 dollars in St. Louis. And we would prefer to rent from a private person than from a realtor or management company, they often don't have the best reputation when I read reviews.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Don't know where you're planning on running the dog training business out of, but local municipalities might have ordinances against certain things, specificially those run out of your home. I can't remember what the pet limit is for St. Ann, but it might be worth looking into. Anyway, as a St. Ann resident, we do have a plethora of 2 BR homes, and we have very affordable rent...which is great! the bad thing on this little section is that some of the homes are in a somewhat "sketchy" part of St. Ann, and it can vary by street. My work blocks craigslist ads but i'll be sure to take a look when i get home to let you get a better idea of the neighborhood (if you'd like).

The other areas mentioned would work well too...really kinda suprised that ARAG didn't mention more of the city, lol...she's kinda a stickler for it. You may also want to include St. Charles County, as well as places in South St. Louis County too...If the business is going to be out of the home, i'm sure having some yard space would be beneficial for your training. Good luck
Hey, thanks, the more information I get, the better decisions I can make. How can I find out, if it is possible to run a dog training business out of my home. I never thought, that would be a problem. Good to know that I have to get information about that one too.
We do want a yard, not only because of training - but for our own dog, and we would like to adopt a second dog too.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
Running a small business out of a residential location is typically not a problem. The problem would arise if you have enough dogs there that the neighbors complained...If the neighbors notice and don't mind, it's most likely would be fine too...but if they start calling the cops, people will begin asking questions, and the potential to inherit some nasty fines wouldn't be far behind.

St. Louis is a unique city, in that there are 92 municapalities (sp) throughout the general area of St. Louis County. The result is you've got numerous city halls, all who create their own city rules. What flies in one city might be illegal in the next, and so on. Your best bet would be to narrow down a location you like, and then get in touch with the different city halls to ask any questions you have. Local law enforcement can probably guide you in the right direction. The cheaper places throughout St. Louis County (if you're looking at a map) will be North County and South County, plus places that are outside of St. Louis County entirely (Jefferson/Franklin Counties). St. Charles County can also be pretty affordable, and the further from town you get, the cheaper the prices are.

Depending on what type of truck driver your husband is, location away from the city might not affect his day to day job functions, and if you're working out of the house it'll be even more true. Just note that the further away from town you are, the less services you'll have and in many instances the convinence factors can go down because of it. Luckily, the government regulations also are normally a little less stringent, and yo might have more space to allow for your business without offending neighbors.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM

I LOVE the city and it'd be great if the OP coudl make it work, but I looked around Craigslist for a while and couldn't find any 2 bedrooms listed in their price range in any decent neighborhood. I found a couple of those silly 1 BR houses.

I'll deifnitely keep an eye out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis