Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM

30 posts, read 43,143 times

Advertisements

It seems like St Louis is overly distressed about loosing out on having an IKEA store. I don't get it, it's just a furniture warehouse type store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,101 times
St.Louis's demand for a IKEA is higher than KC, A lot of Saint Louisianans wanted IKEA and we tried to get IKEA to like us. Then it went to KC, and many Saint Louisianans became pissed because it went to their rival.

Argue as you may, but this is the basic reason.

I think IKEA should have come to STL rather than KC for the same reason above and that, IKEA would profit more here from more people, not to mention more tourists.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 PM

That's a rather silly way of looking at. Kansas City metro has what? 2.1 or 2.2 million, 4 hour drive or less for people from St Louis, Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Springfield. It has more people living in condos and lofts downtown than St Louis, it's between the two stores in Chicago, the Dallas Store and Denver Store. It makes perfect sense logistically. It's St Louis's location that doesn't warrant a store right now.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
I guess you have never been to Ikea...its different then most stores....its hard to explain but once you visit Ikea your life will change and become easier....they sell Furniture for idiots or small homes or apartments or for singles , Families....they also sell Swedish Food....mmmm I sometimes go to Ikea just for Lunch....which isn't uncommon...in this region...hope the subway or the bus and have lunch at Ikea.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,093 times
It makes more geographic sense in KC (I guess), but the demand is higher in STL and we're a bigger market. The number of condo-dwellers downtown doesn't have much to do with it, since the KC store is located in suburban Kansas and any potential store in STL would be in the burbs as well, as are both of Chicago's.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
I don't get it either. I had IKEA near where I grew up in Australia and found it ridiculously overrated.

People just want it because it feels like everyone else has got it.

I think everyone on this forum already knows I HATE flatpack furniture. We've had the IKEA discussion once before

Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
Are people really "so upset?" I think there was some initial surprise and certainly disappointment from some, but most talk seems to have died down now, at least in my circles.

I don't think very many people will drive from the St. Louis area to the Kansas City IKEA however -- the Kansas location will be almost equidistant from St. Louis as the current IKEA in Bolingbrook, which is right off I-55.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM

220 posts, read 453,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Then it went to KC, and many Saint Louisianans became pissed because it went to their rival.
Rivals huh? This is news to most Kansas City folks, we wish for nothing but the best for our friends on the other side of the state.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 AM

If you do a mapquest of KC where the IKEA is going it's only looks about to be 4 miles from downtown KC. I'm sure IKEA did their homework on choosing KC over St Louis and as far as demand goes, who's to say which city has more demand. I'm sure it's all subjective.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshearl View Post
If you do a mapquest of KC where the IKEA is going it's only looks about to be 4 miles from downtown KC. I'm sure IKEA did their homework on choosing KC over St Louis and as far as demand goes, who's to say which city has more demand. I'm sure it's all subjective.
No, it's almost 10. Which is neither here nor there of course, but I can tell you don't know the metro. It's being put in a very suburban area just like the Chicago stores.

edit: And there is quite a bit of evidence to support that they had their St. Louis location determined, but the development has stalled because some of the homeowners don't want to sell and the city decided (rightly) not to push for imminent domain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis