Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 6,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What don't you like about NYC?

Anyway, a glance at Zillow suggests there are a few places available in Kirkwood and Webster Groves, and a bunch of options in the south side of the city (which is generally a great place to live). 5452 Roberts, for example, is right down the street from my friend's house, which seems like a nice neighborhood.

What I meant was I don't want to be in a place like Farmington and as far as what I mean by NYC is a little toooo urban for me. Ill look into that thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufilm View Post
It sounds like you are looking for a middle ground between suburbia and downtown/urban. As has been mentioned, a lot of the inner ring suburbs might be a good fit. Maplewood, Webster, Kirkwood.

A big issue would be schools. If your children are school age you may want to stay out of the city limits. There are some good city schools, but they're few and far between. There are some charter schools as well in the city, but obviously they can be a crap shoot with regards to admission. If you are okay with city living (Not urban like NYC) then some good options (for schools and safe neighborhoods) would be Holly Hills, North Hampton and South Hampton, St. Louis Hills, Lindenwood Park, and Lafayette Square (brand-new charter school).

As for being a Sharks and Giants fan, I don't think anyone would give you serious trouble. St. Louis fans are generally pretty nice. They might give you a ribbing but it would be in good faith. I was actually pulling for the Sharks after the Blues were knocked out. I feel your pain.

I hope you have a safe and seamless move and that you really come to love St. Louis. I think it actually has a lot in common with SF. Great historic architecture, great parks and civic institutions, human scaled neighborhoods and buildings, etc.

yeah looking for middle ground. Don't mind knowing some of my neighbors but needing a bulletproof vest (yes my family is that concerned with me picking the city).

My kids... one would be starting kinder and the other 3rd grade. I was looking at a certain charter school but not sure about that lottery process as I def would not want public school from the city.
Nervous about the move as i'm not there and able to look at everything and one neighborhood is okay but next to it isn't or, "this one USED to be good but isn't" "oh wait honey you don't that side of the street". I don't mind a mixed neighborhood or up and coming as no where is perfect but I want to be able to afford where I live and not have to have the cops on speed dial and my door locked at all times, relying heavily on the neighborhood watch.

Thanks for the information, i'll look into those areas as well.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_mama View Post
we are currently looking at moving to the bay area - wanna swap? we pay $750/mo for a 2 bedroom duplex (with a basement) in a small town 20 minutes from downtown. it's a small community where we can ride bikes on the street and has great public schools. i don't know of anywhere that doesn't have recycling. couldn't tell you about the sports stuff. i am a rare non-sports fan and i survive just fine. oh, and the farmer's market thing is covered, too.

you sure you wanna come out here?

Reality Check: Bay Area Housing | NBC Bay Area

Reality Check: Bay Area Housing | NBC Bay Area

Old 05-09-2014, 08:54 PM

26 posts, read 29,421 times
If you are looking at the city, here is a good breakdown of the various neighborhoods. A couple year old but the info is still very relevant.

Groth Guides to the Neighborhoods of the City of St. Louis - nextSTL

St. Louis has a bad rep with crime, but only because the stats are skewed. STL city and county are separate entities, unlike most cities, and STL city is only 66 square miles. If we had similar size city limits to say Kansas City (300 square miles, which includes many more suburban areas) then our crime rates would be much closer to average if not better. Also, most of the crime happens in the northern parts of the city. Most neighborhoods in south city are very safe and community oriented. Examples would be Lafayette Square, Holly Hills, Lindenwood Park, North Hampton and South Hampton.

My point with the schools remains though. You may be best looking in the inner ring 'bubrs which still have a strong sense of community.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Hi- welcome to St. Louis (soon) from another native northern californian!
We've been here just about 3 years-and it sounds like you're fed up and ready to make the move. You mentioned you're not sure if your company will let you transfer.. What type of work are you in? I was actually able to transfer with my company out to St.Louis for a new position and they paid my relocation costs (which is very helpful). Just a thought that if you have the time, it may also be worth looking for a job here first, if you can give us an indication of your employment we may have some suggested employers for you to look at.

Now back to your post- I would suggest Webster Groves, Kirkwood or Brentwood. All have great schools, are very safe and if you can up your budget just a bit -$1,000 or so you should be able to find a modest small home - but since you're from the Bay Area- i'm sure what i consider to be a "small home" is bigger than most apartments in SF

I live in Brentwood myself and work in midtown- it's a short commute, centrally located and there's a great little farmer's market in Kirkwood or Maplewood which are both close by. Brentwood offers free recycling services (and trash) and i would say has pretty friendly folks. Also i will second the other comment about st louis sports fans- they won't bother you or your kids about who you like/don't like.. But if you stay here long enough you pretty much end up being a cards fan (hard not to).

Good luck on your search!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texacaliNiNJA View Post
I live in the SF bay area and i'm single mom with 2 kids. It's too expensive here (always has been but has finally got to me). I have family in house springs, Farmington, St. Charles, downtown, park hills and have been to the ballpark village and grants farm areas most recently. I have visited a handful of times and kinda like some of the bits and pieces thus far. I want to be close to my family.

I will definitely be moving to the STL area next summer and I don't want to live next to just a walmart and a gas station and mile of fast food restaurants/medical facilities nor do I want to live in anything reminiscent of NYC (or what I think of it..).

I just want to:

Feel safe home alone with my small children
live somewhere that has recycling services
near/has farmers market
has a basement (for tornado safety!)
is less than 850 a month for a 2 or 3 bed
Be FAR FAR away from ESL and north county
not be bothered for being a sharks fan (hockey) or my kids for being giants fans (baseball)

Where can I go? any ideas?

I will miss:
Great Mexican food (I said the same thing when I moved from Texas)
diversity (more than just black/white/hispanic)
year round gardening
the things I never got to just yet

Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 AM

50 posts, read 86,571 times
Quote:
oh, i get it. it's about work. husband in the tech industry and st louis is hardly a tech hub. we can do better there than we can here.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
yeah looking for middle ground. Don't mind knowing some of my neighbors but needing a bulletproof vest (yes my family is that concerned with me picking the city).
You shouldn't live somewhere that makes you uncomfortable. However, even in a relatively dangerous US city, the chance of being a violent crime victim is very low, and even lower than that if you don't make your living dealing street drugs or the like.

Where People Feel Safe, And Where They Are Safe | FiveThirtyEight

Old 05-10-2014, 02:35 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_mama View Post
oh, i get it. it's about work. husband in the tech industry and st louis is hardly a tech hub. we can do better there than we can here.
Keep in mind, though, that St. Louis is purported to be an upcoming tech hub.

Can St. Louis become the next tech hub? - Fortune Tech

St. Louis: A Model For Aspiring Tech Hubs - Forbes

Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 PM

50 posts, read 86,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post

thanks for that - interesting stuff.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM

446 posts, read 485,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post

First hand experience with that.

I was getting paid in mid $70K as an IT tech in MO.
Here in NYC I am getting paid in low six figures but the level of stress and cost of living hardly makes it worthwhile. I will gladly move back to West County and enjoy a better standard of life without having to pay half of my salary in rent or mortgage, and without having to spend half of my life in crawling traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis