Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,031 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm going to be moving from Southern CA to St. Louis for a new job opportunity. I've been checking out the downtown area and everything I read about downtown states how bad the crime is in St Louis and I'm a little nervous. I am looking for some advice and suggestions as to which areas of downtown are best based on my needs. Is downtown 'alive' after the workday ends? Here's more about me and what I'm looking for.

1. I'm a 35 year old single female
2. My budget is about $1500 per month
3. I want to live in a walkable community. Close to restaurants, bars, shopping, grocery stores...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Tina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:59 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalgirl34 View Post
Hi! I'm going to be moving from Southern CA to St. Louis for a new job opportunity. I've been checking out the downtown area and everything I read about downtown states how bad the crime is in St Louis and I'm a little nervous. I am looking for some advice and suggestions as to which areas of downtown are best based on my needs. Is downtown 'alive' after the workday ends? Here's more about me and what I'm looking for.

1. I'm a 35 year old single female
2. My budget is about $1500 per month
3. I want to live in a walkable community. Close to restaurants, bars, shopping, grocery stores...

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Tina
Hi Tina,

I live Downtown and love it. It is very walkable in the Loft District and Old Post Office District. Downtown West is still in the early gentrification stages but will probably take off in the next 24 months but is having a problem with crime mostly between drug dealers and the homeless.

Your budget shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty of Lofts and apartments under 1500.

Downtown has plenty of good restaurants and clubs in the Loft and Old Post District. Non existent in other areas. Retail scene isn't very good anywhere near downtown. The downtown area seems very scary during the winter months because no one is on the streets.

I would strongly recommend looking into the Central West End. It seems to be more consistent in street traffic and you have plenty of good places to eat and do things. The neighborhood seems more centrally located and there is a better feel in terms of people and vibrancy.

St Louis has a lot of crime. At the same time most homicides seem to impact people in the gang culture and those who hang out with them. Robberies are on the upswing too. If you don't run around the city drunk and high and you pay attention to your surroundings you stand less of a chance of being a victim. I don't feel like I am any less safe here than in other cities I've lived in.

Most people who enjoy living here as transplants tend to find enjoyment in city life. Those who set up their lives in the suburbs and surround themselves with locals who idea of culture in the city is a cardinals game won't find as much enjoyment.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:16 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times
From what I've read about SoCal, you must spend all your time dodging Mexican kidnappers and roving violence gangs, so St. Louis will seem like a relative utopia.

I think Downtown feels a little dead after work hours, aside from sporting events, but several of my friends have lived there and loved it. But Downtown and Central West End are just a few of the many very cool neighborhoods in the city. Southeast Forest Park, Soulard and Lafayette Square are a couple other neighborhoods I know people enjoy. Good luck with the move!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
I used to work downtown and except for the Ball Park and Washington Ave, downtown is a relative ghost town at night.

I recommend Shaw, Botanical Heights, Southwest Garden area, Tower Grove South - these areas are part of "South City", so you're still in St. Louis City boundaries, but it's more active than downtown. You can get a great place for almost half your budget, there's Tower Grove Park, which is GORGEOUS for walking, and has a Farmer's Market on Saturdays from May - November.

South Grand has lots of great restaurants, shopping, bars, coffee shops, etc. Plus, if you have a car (recommended in St. Louis, our public transit isn't the most efficient), you're a quick drive to Soulard Farmer's Market, Soulard for nighttime activities, Cherokee Street for shopping and restaurants, and even downtown. It's a great, safe neighbourhood and after living here, I can't imagine living anywhere else in the city.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 PM

184 posts, read 245,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
I used to work downtown and except for the Ball Park and Washington Ave, downtown is a relative ghost town at night.

I recommend Shaw, Botanical Heights, Southwest Garden area, Tower Grove South - these areas are part of "South City", so you're still in St. Louis City boundaries, but it's more active than downtown. You can get a great place for almost half your budget, there's Tower Grove Park, which is GORGEOUS for walking, and has a Farmer's Market on Saturdays from May - November.

South Grand has lots of great restaurants, shopping, bars, coffee shops, etc. Plus, if you have a car (recommended in St. Louis, our public transit isn't the most efficient), you're a quick drive to Soulard Farmer's Market, Soulard for nighttime activities, Cherokee Street for shopping and restaurants, and even downtown. It's a great, safe neighbourhood and after living here, I can't imagine living anywhere else in the city.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. With that said, I'm not sure it's really "walkable", as the OP requested. I love the area, but it's really not an area where it makes sense to walk to the grocery store, nightlife, etc. You CAN walk to those places. It's just not really sensible, assuming you would be walking more than a few blocks. Traveling by car is just too easy. Walking to/from and in Tower Grove Park, on the other hand, is one of the highlights of the neighborhood. The farmers' market is my favorite part of living nearby!

The only highly-walkable areas I can think of (my personal definition of highly-walkable is a place where driving is more of a hassle than walking) are the Central West End and Downtown. Even so, a car would still be necessary for getting around to and from any area outside of the immediate neighborhood. St. Louis just doesn't have a the type of urban environment necessary for supporting a large public transportation system used by the masses.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,801 times
I have lived downtown the past 8 years and love it. it has one of the best mix of restaurant and bars scenes of any area in the region. It has modern loft and condo buildings. Its very close to public transportation stops and sporting events. Downtown is a safe area even though crime has been a little more prevalent than usual I expect it to settle down to normal patterns before long. I walk all over downtown and have never been a victim of a street crime. Let me know if you have anymore questions about building or areas within downtown.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 AM

150 posts, read 244,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
From what I've read about SoCal, you must spend all your time dodging Mexican kidnappers and roving violence gangs, so St. Louis will seem like a relative utopia.

I think Downtown feels a little dead after work hours, aside from sporting events, but several of my friends have lived there and loved it. But Downtown and Central West End are just a few of the many very cool neighborhoods in the city. Southeast Forest Park, Soulard and Lafayette Square are a couple other neighborhoods I know people enjoy. Good luck with the move!
From what I've read about St. Louis, you must spend all of your time dodging rioters, gang shootings, and going to the clinic to get treated for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,193 times
Hi, looks like you are getting some great info.
I relocated from North Tustin to STL back in August, bought a house out in Wildwood with 5 acres as I was "over" having neighbors.

Lot to love about the area, be prepared for every single person you meet to ask "why would you leave OC for STL" ��

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis