Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 03:14 PM

8 posts, read 8,274 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've had a license for a few years and I drive every day. Need to learn how to drive a manual car. Asking for a reliable coach here. I don't have a manual car so the coach must provide the vehicle. I'm in Chesterfield but I am happy to go to your place for the lessons. Please PM me and we may discuss further. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
If you want to drive over to KC I'd be happy to help!

Old 07-14-2017, 03:50 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchrush View Post
Hello,

I've had a license for a few years and I drive every day. Need to learn how to drive a manual car. Asking for a reliable coach here. I don't have a manual car so the coach must provide the vehicle. I'm in Chesterfield but I am happy to go to your place for the lessons. Please PM me and we may discuss further. Thanks!
Go to a local new car dealer and ask to drive a manual transmission car as you are very interested in buying one. Learn for free!

HINT: don't pick Porsche but rather Toyota, Nissan, Honda instead. New works good because it is under warranty if your lessons don't go good....

Old 07-14-2017, 04:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
the easiest way to learn to drive a manual, is by yourself in an open field

Old 07-14-2017, 06:00 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
the easiest way to learn to drive a manual, is by yourself in an open field

Exactly - or an open parking lot, etc. Just push the clutch pedal in, turn the key over to start the car up, take off the emergency brake, put the gear lever in first gear, let out the clutch and, if the engine dies, it's OK. Just follow the same pattern of tasks. Push in the left pedal of the three pedals (the clutch pedal), turn the key over to start the engine, make sure the car is in first gear, grab the steering wheel with one hand at 12:00 o' clock, and let out the clutch pedal. Once the car starts moving forward, add more gas pedal, then...push in the clutch pedal again and move the gear lever to 2nd gear. Let out the clutch and punch the gas pedal and move forward faster - in 2nd gear. If a deer leaps in front of you - hit the brakes - but also push in that clutch pedal again so that the engine doesn't kill.

Rinse and repeat. It is, like most any and all skills and learned tasks, a learn by repetition exercise. There's no way you're gonna learn if you don't practice in an open field or parking lot. My Dad taught me how in an open dirt lot - lots and lots and lots of room. I am happy that he taught me how to drive a stick because I'd much rather drive a stick - it's more engaging and fun. You'll understand this after you learn how to drive a stick and practice - practice - practice by driving - driving - driving and enjoying - enjoying and enjoying! Dig it!!!!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Yeah but he needs someone to get the car to the lot/field/cemetery at the very least.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:16 PM

Well... I'm actually renting a manual car in Europe (Austria) so I must practice before I go. Renting an automatic car there will break my bank. Usually the automatic cars you may choose from are Mercedes, BMW... etc. Renting a Mercedes is like $150 - $200 a day with full insurance.

Still asking if someone may give me a few lessons. Of course I'll be happy to compensate the person... Hope I can find someone before 8/20. That's when I leave.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:03 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
Have you checked with any of the driving schools? Some of them may have a manual transmission.

I asked my husband if he would teach you (he has a manual) but unfortunately he's too busy.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 PM

Thanks. I asked some driving schools. They needed me to provide a manual vehicle.

Actually, if I can get a manual car, I can have my friends to teach me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Have you checked with any of the driving schools? Some of them may have a manual transmission.

I asked my husband if he would teach you (he has a manual) but unfortunately he's too busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis