Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 PM

8 posts, read 8,232 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to rent. Sound insulation will be very important because my wife is a pianist. Of course, she doesn't want to upset the neighbors (she plays very well). I have looked at some condos/townhouses/apartments but none of the managers was confident with sound insulation in their available units.

Renting a house is expensive. Our budget is $1000-1200/month. We prefer the West County area/Kirkwood/north Fenton. St Charles can be a choice, but she may need to work at downtown so it's quite a drive. I work in Chesterfield.

My hunch is that newer buildings (built after 2000) have better sound insulation, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 07:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Eek. My husband also plays a very loud instrument and it was a big factor in getting a house instead of an apartment. We used to rent in an older building that had concrete walls and I think that helped. The newer places I've seen go up are usually built as cheaply as possible with mostly wood framing.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:08 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Eek. My husband also plays a very loud instrument and it was a big factor in getting a house instead of an apartment. We used to rent in an older building that had concrete walls and I think that helped. The newer places I've seen go up are usually built as cheaply as possible with mostly wood framing.
Billiken is right about the newer places. Like everything else these days, quality is not what it used to be. That said, my neighbor plays a clarinet. I had no idea until I saw her carrying it out one day and she told me. But she uses a mute. I don't think you can use a mute on a piano. The building I live in is amazingly quiet. I never hear anybody. The whole complex is quiet until the lawn mowers come through. And it is near where you said you'd like to locate. Am I allowed to name without it being called advertising? If so, try Southwoods on Gravois. There are two fast ways to downtown: Gravois east or 270 north. I don't know about the complexes but you do find plenty of to investigate nearby (near Grant's Farm)

All that said, I agree with the suggestion above - a house might serve better if you can manage that - a house with some good yard space around. Trees are excellent sound absorbers.

In closing, if your wife plays good classical piano, she can move in right next door to me and I shan't say a word about what I hear. Might ask her to play a bit louder.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 8,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Billiken is right about the newer places. Like everything else these days, quality is not what it used to be. That said, my neighbor plays a clarinet. I had no idea until I saw her carrying it out one day and she told me. But she uses a mute. I don't think you can use a mute on a piano. The building I live in is amazingly quiet. I never hear anybody. The whole complex is quiet until the lawn mowers come through. And it is near where you said you'd like to locate. Am I allowed to name without it being called advertising? If so, try Southwoods on Gravois. There are two fast ways to downtown: Gravois east or 270 north. I don't know about the complexes but you do find plenty of to investigate nearby (near Grant's Farm)

All that said, I agree with the suggestion above - a house might serve better if you can manage that - a house with some good yard space around. Trees are excellent sound absorbers.

In closing, if your wife plays good classical piano, she can move in right next door to me and I shan't say a word about what I hear. Might ask her to play a bit louder.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check out the apartment. We're moving in Dec/next Jan so I still have some time to look.

Renting a house is kinda over my budget, so I will still look at condos/townhouses/apartments unless something really good comes up.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Southwoods does have plenty of townhouses. And, if you are lucky enough to get a corner one, you have only one neighbor to worry about. Nobody below or above you. At least not that I know of. I have never been inside one.

Good luck. Hazel W

Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 PM

18 posts, read 18,639 times
Quote:
Southwoods does have plenty of townhouses. And, if you are lucky enough to get a corner one, you have only one neighbor to worry about. Nobody below or above you. At least not that I know of. I have never been inside one.

Good luck. Hazel W
Maybe a townhouse with a basement? Most people don't spend a ton of time in the basement, I reckon. So if you put the piano in the basement, you may be good!

Old 08-20-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralTownLover View Post
Maybe a townhouse with a basement? Most people don't spend a ton of time in the basement, I reckon. So if you put the piano in the basement, you may be good!
I do not know whether the town homes have basements or not. I have a friend who used to live here and was in a town home. I can ask her. If she replies, I'll post her answer. The apartment buildings do have basements with laundry and locker facilities but I don't think you'd want a piano down there where other tenants could get to it.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:45 PM

18 posts, read 18,639 times
Quote:
I do not know whether the town homes have basements or not. I have a friend who used to live here and was in a town home. I can ask her. If she replies, I'll post her answer. The apartment buildings do have basements with laundry and locker facilities but I don't think you'd want a piano down there where other tenants could get to it.
I don't know which county is which but does Chesterfield work?

EDIT: Didn't read the whole title. I lived in apartments off Olive Blvd. I can't remember the name of the complex but the road is Tienda, Right next to Chesterfield place apartments. For a 3 bedroom with three floors, it's about 1100 a month and I know that the basements might work for you there.

Last edited by RuralTownLover; 08-20-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 07:34 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchrush View Post
I'm looking for a place to rent. Sound insulation will be very important because my wife is a pianist. Of course, she doesn't want to upset the neighbors (she plays very well). I have looked at some condos/townhouses/apartments but none of the managers was confident with sound insulation in their available units.

Renting a house is expensive. Our budget is $1000-1200/month. We prefer the West County area/Kirkwood/north Fenton. St Charles can be a choice, but she may need to work at downtown so it's quite a drive. I work in Chesterfield.

My hunch is that newer buildings (built after 2000) have better sound insulation, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?
look at the dorchester in st louis- those are very well insulated; sorry just saw your budget they would be out of that range almost for sure. I think i paid $1500 for a 1/1 5 years ago.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I know it isn't your ideal, but you can get a decent sized SFH for that budget in Florissant. I know that NoCo gets a bad rap but the majority of Florissant north of 270 is perfectly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis