Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:22 PM

35 posts, read 54,790 times

Advertisements

When you take the L-train in Chicago, you have to go through a turnstile after scanning your ticket. The ticket is void after 2-hours. But here in Saint Louis, you buy a ticket and then validate it, and just walk onto the metro. I've noticed the ink on the tickets can easily be wiped off, where you can just keep reusing the same ticket over and over. Also, I see a lot of people just walk on without even validating a ticket, which makes me think for sure they didn't even buy one. I'm pretty certain the STL Metro system is losing out on a lot of potential revenue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
This comes up a lot. The argument against improvements is that the turnstile equipment is more costly than the lost revenue.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Plus, there are always those who will jump the turnstyles.

I have seen Metro officers come through the trains, checking for tickets before- although not on every ride. I'm sure that is a small deterrent at least.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:06 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
I've ridden the trains in New York and Chicago. They have turnstyles, usually revolving turnstyles. Thus, most cannot be jumped.

Can you board a plane without a ticket? Amtrak without a ticket? A toll road without a toll? Why is Metrolink an exception?
StL needs them to ensure riders have paid their fare and restore the confidence of law-abiding riders. It's that simple. No free rides.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I've ridden the trains in New York and Chicago. They have turnstyles, usually revolving turnstyles. Thus, most cannot be jumped.
This isn't NYC or Chicago! Most turnstiles in Chicago can be jumped.

Can you board DART LRT without paying a fare? Yes! Can you board METRO Rail in Houston Denver and Mineapolis without paying a Fare? Yes. Apparently the smaller lower ridership LRT honor system is cheaper than turnstiles. It isn't just St. Louis!

I would love to see turnstiles. I do have enough knowledge and been on differ LRT systems to know that may not be cost effective with our ridership.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelJockey View Post
When you take the L-train in Chicago, you have to go through a turnstile after scanning your ticket. The ticket is void after 2-hours. But here in Saint Louis, you buy a ticket and then validate it, and just walk onto the metro. I've noticed the ink on the tickets can easily be wiped off, where you can just keep reusing the same ticket over and over. Also, I see a lot of people just walk on without even validating a ticket, which makes me think for sure they didn't even buy one. I'm pretty certain the STL Metro system is losing out on a lot of potential revenue
I totally agree that turnstiles are badly needed. It would help over the long term with revenue, but more importantly, it would improve security in my opinion. Somebody that refuses to comply with the boarding process (buying a ticket, validating it, etc.) is more likely to cause a disturbance. Turnstiles would also potentially cut costs by reducing the need for security officers on the platforms. I say potentially because I'm not sure what the additional maintenence costs would be with the turnstiles. Also, if passengers feel safer, then they are likely to share their positive experience with others. That could translate to more passengers for Metrolink, word of mouth is an effective and free source of marketing. The benefits wouldn't be realized immediately, as it would take a few years for Metrolink to repair its reputation. A break even point analysis would reveal how long it would take to recover the up front expenditures. Just a guess, but I doubt it would take longer than 10 years, especially if the turnstiles are strategically phased in... focusing on the stations in the rougher areas first. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:36 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Metro is currently working through the multi-year, multi-million dollar process of adding turnstiles to the MetroLink system. So don't worry, soon they will be recovering almost enough lost revenue to maintain the turnstiles, which will stop all violent criminals who don't have $2.50 to buy a MetroLink ticket.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:05 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
It’s not worth the cost of turnstiles and inconvenience. Better that they found a way to do value capture by developing good TOD policies.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 PM

201 posts, read 220,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Metro is currently working through the multi-year, multi-million dollar process of adding turnstiles to the MetroLink system. So don't worry, soon they will be recovering almost enough lost revenue to maintain the turnstiles, which will stop all violent criminals who don't have $2.50 to buy a MetroLink ticket.
Today was the first time I rode the MetroLink in like a year. I used to enjoy taking it downtown or to the airport, but after hearing seven or eight stories about shootings or beatings, I got discouraged. Yes, you can often get in and out of there easily without ever having to present a ticket, let alone a validated one. I heard something about how they were trying to extend it to have a North/South line as well.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:34 AM

186 posts, read 243,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal To The Core View Post
Today was the first time I rode the MetroLink in like a year. I used to enjoy taking it downtown or to the airport, but after hearing seven or eight stories about shootings or beatings, I got discouraged. Yes, you can often get in and out of there easily without ever having to present a ticket, let alone a validated one. I heard something about how they were trying to extend it to have a North/South line as well.
How is the metro link currently? We are new to the area and all I have heard is to NEVER get on it. I’m used to the Chicago ‘L’ my guess it’s worse than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis