Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,294 times

Advertisements

JTom the Mansion House is located in the heart of downtown and the surroundings are very safe. It is very convienent with lots of bars, sports, and restaurants just within walking distance. I live downtown and the atmosphere is great and will continue to build as more and more people move down here. You could also take the metro to school and only have limited reliability on your auto. Give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:24 PM

700 posts, read 2,595,897 times
My best friend lives in STL, I have been there a few times.
I didnt see any real reason to live downtown as an advantage, there are few "stores" so unless you want to do your late night grocery shopping at 7-11...may be a pain. Seems that rent is cheap in many areas.

he lived in U City, Clayton and Dogtown. I thought those all seemed pretty good and easy to get around... I also liked "The Hill", but Im from NYC , so I liked that Italian neighborhood feel...

STL is a neat town, but god was it humid in the summer when I was there!! The Bud was flowing at the Cardinals game that day!! (great baseball city if that means anything!!)

Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
You should like St. Louis. It has the only top rated hospital in the midwest at Barnes-Jewish. If you know what Trader Joe's and COSTCO are you'll find them in St. Louis.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
I believe Downtown is getting a Schnuck's soon also.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:36 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,532 times
Yes and the Schnucks will have a pharmacy. Hopefully the downtown residents will have little reason to leave downtown for day-to-day supplies, and maybe even lose the need for a car. Here's to hoping!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
The Truman Building is supposed to become an Urgent Care center also. And there's a Pet Store in the Tudor Building (not right Downtown, though).

Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 PM

24 posts, read 84,989 times
umsl has two metrolink stops, so if you are looking at Illinois, it might be worth while to look for something on the metrolink as well. It would cut down on the traffic frustrations. It seems to follow St Clair Ave and Illinois Rt 161 on the Illinois side. Doesn't UMSL have a metro-area rate for tuition?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 19,352 times
jtom, if you're going to be attending UMSL, there's absolutely NO reason that you can't find a safe, nice neighborhood close to campus - unless your definition of "nice" is all white. I live 2.5 miles north of UMSL in a neighborhood called Old Ferguson West (Welcome to Old Ferguson West). Ferguson is a diverse community but it's a really wonderful place to live.

We have a fabulous farmers market, lots of good restaurants, a growing number of progressive-minded young people moving in, and some of the most beautiful housing in all of St. Louis. I've lived here 10 years and have never had a single problem with crime.

We also have brand new lofts! The Streetcar Lofts, which just opened at the corner of Florissant Rd and Suburban/Paul, or the Ferguson Lofts up the street would both be able to fit your needs and your budget. And both buildings are filled with students and younger people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis