Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 AM

66 posts, read 244,007 times

Advertisements

Hey there St. Louis. I still think about the possibility or moving to St. Louis and maybe eventually buying a home and putting down roots (my only big problem with the Lou is it's landlocked otherwise I really think it's my town and I do have some family history there as well). Two of the areas I've considered have been Dogtown and/or The Hill. I have been to both areas (though it's been awhile) and do plan to make a trip out some time soon. In the mean time I'd love to hear from people in STL and especially folks that currently reside in one or the other neighborhood about what they're like now? Which one is generally thought of as being safer? Is The Hill still so tight knit that an outsider might have trouble getting in (doubt it but had to ask)? Which one is more "walkable"?

I'm over the whole going out every night scene so don't mind if the place is a little quiet as long as I'm still reasonably close to the hub bub, which I'm pretty sure both places are and am more concerned about living in a stable, reasonably safe area for myself and my wife.

Oh yeah, I know that Dogtown is generally thought of as an Irish hood and The Hill Italian but I'm pretty sure that neither area is anything close to even half one or the other. So it's definitely not an Italian vs Irish thing. I like em both anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,995 times
I think you will be fine in either neighborhood. Both are walkable, but there are some steep roads so if you plan on doing a lot of walking make sure you buy in the flatter areas near the old commercial strips. There are usually less houses for sale on the Hill, so you might find yourself frustrated if you just look there.

The best bet would be to look in both areas and make your decision based on which houses you like best. The Hill may be a little more insular (it is still really Italian) but if you keep your lawn looking nice, you should have no problems with your neighbors. Dogtown is a little more relaxed in that category.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
Both are great neighborhoods. I live in Dogtown. It is extremely hilly, and there are parts of Dogtown that it would be a good 25 minute walk to get to a restaurant or the liquor store (which we use for ice, soda, sometimes bread, etc). There's no true grocery store in Dogtown so you will be driving to it, unless you live close enuogh to the Walgreens on Manchester/McCausland.

The Hill will give you more options in dining and walkability, but both are great neighborhoods and I would recommend either of them to anyone.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
I personally like Dogtown better, but you can't go wrong either way. Both are great neighborhoods full of great working-class people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: