Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, as with all rumors they could be wrong, but I guess I don't see why they would be.

If not for WRC, then there's plenty other motorsports where that engine would be the appropriate size, come 2014, Gr.N rally etc are moving towards it. It would also comply with a few others ones. I didn't know that WRC had an inline-4 requirement, but I can honestly see that changing to "4-cylinder" if Subaru announce that they want to return. WRC has struggled with lower popularity due to declining participation, getting Subaru back (a big crowd pleaser) would be very good for the sport.

Looking at the article, it also seems like the WRX /STi will be a less streetable car, not nearly as compliant as the current one and geared more towards outright performance. My guess would be that they also introduce a second, slightly more powerful engine in the Impreza and lets that and the Toyota FT-86/Subaru project fill the gap that the departing/moving WRX/STi leaves.

And I really don't see why getting close to or over 300 hp out of a 1.6L Turbo (or if the article is correct, possibly twin charged), people manage to make pretty darn streetable 390-450hp Imprezas now, out of a 2.0L.
A lot of national rally championships for years have been dominated by the 4 door sedan WRX or Evo Group N AWD cars. But looks like Subaru is going to be changing it's product and the new Evo will be something different too.

Australia has already decided to go 2 wheel drive for it's main rally championship rules to attract more manufacturers, New Zealand is considering it, the USA has a significant movement towards 2WD and some of the European championships have already gone down that road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Subaru already uses a 1.5L in other markets, so perhaps they can use an uprated version of it in the upcoming WRX in markets where they don't have to cope with CAFE fines and where emissions standards aren't quite as stringent. I honestly don't see a 1.6L WRX or especially STi in the U.S. market, not after the performance benchmark they've set with the 2.5L. Let's revisit this thread in a couple years. .
So here we are revisiting a couple years later. And just as I suspected, the WRX is back down to a 2.0T with direct injection. And still no Subaru diesel in sight.

So now the question is, where does the STI go from here? How long can it soldier on with the carry-over 2.5T? That carryover, with no increase in power even, seems to be the primary letdown of the "new" STI.

Last edited by Drover; 07-01-2014 at 03:33 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
How about a 3L turbo Diesel Legacy Outback wagon with an shiftable automatic tranny and Front/rear torque control center differential. Enough room to haul stuff and four people with excellent capability (with good snow tires) on twisty snow covered back roads. That would be my ideal daily driver.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:55 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
So here we are revisiting a couple years later. And just as I suspected, the WRX is back down to a 2.0T with direct injection. And still no Subaru diesel in sight.

So now the question is, where does the STI go from here? How long can it soldier on with the carry-over 2.5T? That carryover, with no increase in power even, seems to be the primary letdown of the "new" STI.
I would be surprised if the new for 2015 STi didn't get an updated DI engine within the next few years. It would seem like a glaring omission if they don't.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How about a 3L turbo Diesel Legacy Outback wagon with an shiftable automatic tranny and Front/rear torque control center differential. Enough room to haul stuff and four people with excellent capability (with good snow tires) on twisty snow covered back roads. That would be my ideal daily driver.
Not in this lifetime. For the simple reason that you and I and another 500 enthusiasts would buy it at the $35K it would cost (at least) - and nobody else. Sad, but true.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I would be surprised if the new for 2015 STi didn't get an updated DI engine within the next few years. It would seem like a glaring omission if they don't.
I think the sport cmpact scene is dying and kids or people in their early 20's just are not into cars as they were a decade ago and the WRX STI Subaru can make more profit by skirting the R&D costs of devolvement and certification of a new Engine to meet U.S. Regulations by using the old already certified engine.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
But here's the sticking point with DI: harder to tune/mod. Is it worth alienating their considerable tuner following? I suppose they may not have much choice if emissions regs get any tighter.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
But here's the sticking point with DI: harder to tune/mod. Is it worth alienating their considerable tuner following? I suppose they may not have much choice if emissions regs get any tighter.
No car manufacturer pays much attention to their "considerable tuner following". There is a reason most mods aren't warranty-friendly and manufacturers actually don't look too kindly upon people modding their cars with non-OEM parts. The aftermarket crowd is a drop in the bucket for auto manufacturers.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
No car manufacturer pays much attention to their "considerable tuner following". There is a reason most mods aren't warranty-friendly and manufacturers actually don't look too kindly upon people modding their cars with non-OEM parts. The aftermarket crowd is a drop in the bucket for auto manufacturers.
That's actually not quite the case for Subaru. Part of the reason they didn't up the output for the new STi was due to the aftermarket tuners already sorting that out.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That's actually not quite the case for Subaru. Part of the reason they didn't up the output for the new STi was due to the aftermarket tuners already sorting that out.
The aftermarket represents about 25% of WRX/STi customers. While not insignificant, I doubt it plays too much (it does play some) into their long-term planning of these vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru