Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,263,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalRescue View Post
Whats the difference between the sti and no sti. I dont really want the big spoiler
Engine, Suspension, Body kit, STI has a more "racey" interior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,627,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That car would be pointless with an autobox.

If you like it buy the manual, it'll take you 2 hours to learn to drive it and in a couple of months all of it will be motorskills and you don't "worry about changing gears".
Some people don't want to put up with a clutch on their only car. I'm one of them, hence 2014 Forester XT instead of 2013 WRX. Forester XT will get better gas mileage anyway.

Quote:
Whats the difference between the sti and no sti. I dont really want the big spoiler
The STI is a $30k+ ever so slightly detuned rally race car with a very large wing. It is not for the faint of heart but it's a REALLY fun toy.

The non-STI is the "normal" WRX, that's basically a rally-oriented hot hatch, and competes with the VW GTI, Mazdaspeed3, Ford Focus ST, and their cohorts. It's more balanced between everyday comfort and race readiness, while the STI very definitely leans towards tracks and rally courses.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,691,668 times
From 2008 until recently the WRX was sold with an automatic if you wanted it. What happened was in 2009, the WRX got an upgrade in power and suspension and Subaru kept the 2008 WRX with an auto and named it the Impreza GT. And I believe they stopped offering the Impreza GT in the past year. The car had 224hp.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
From 2008 until recently the WRX was sold with an automatic if you wanted it. What happened was in 2009, the WRX got an upgrade in power and suspension and Subaru kept the 2008 WRX with an auto and named it the Impreza GT. And I believe they stopped offering the Impreza GT in the past year. The car had 224hp.
MY 2010 was the last for the GT. That's 3 model years ago by now. Lasted all of 2 years. Or 3 if you count the MY '08 WRX auto.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:37 AM

458 posts, read 1,250,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I've always been a fan of the WRX and particularly the STI. I don't want them to come with automatics but I'm just being biased. If they offer an automatic and the take rate is significantly higher than the manual before you know it the manual trans will no longer offered. Unfortunately (for me), that is the general direction that U.S. automotive market has been heading in for many years.
The GTI has offered an automatic option for a long time (a dual clutch) and the manual transmission is still standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85
That car would be pointless with an autobox.
I totally disagree. A dual clutch completely outperforms a manual transmission. So unless you truly find a clutch pedal to be "fun" there's no reason for a manual.

I suppose you think Formula 1 cars are pointless then?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
The GTI has offered an automatic option for a long time (a dual clutch) and the manual transmission is still standard.

I totally disagree. A dual clutch completely outperforms a manual transmission. So unless you truly find a clutch pedal to be "fun" there's no reason for a manual.

I think people count the dual-clutch as a quasi-manual, unless the Holy Order of the Clutch Pedal needs to deride it for some reason, then it gets referred to as an automatic.

Personally I love both DCTs and CVTs, but it seems like few mainstream manufacturers outside of VW have managed to get a dual-clutch box right. CVTs are easy to get right...just terribly boring unless you're in manual mode. They can be programmed to have a pretty responsive manual mode though.

Given Subaru's comparatively limited resources, I doubt they'll be able to sink money into a DCT, much as I'd like them to. They'll probably just have to do the best they can with CVT programming and their existing manual trannys.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,165,800 times
Quote:
Cause i dont know how to drive manual plus idk if id like to worry about shifting all the time. I really like the style of the car especially that hood scope. The legacy seems to be somewhat the same style without the hood scoop though it looks like
If my mom can learn to drive a stick shift, anyone can. Thinking back, I am really impressed that she drove a manual (1990 Golf) for 5+ years. I think she hated it even though it was a short commute, but she saved like $2000 or something close to that back then.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Given Subaru's comparatively limited resources, I doubt they'll be able to sink money into a DCT, much as I'd like them to. They'll probably just have to do the best they can with CVT programming and their existing manual trannys.
Yep, they don't really have the resources to develop their own and their longitudinal AWD setup means an outside supplier like Getrag can't just tweak an existing unit such as the one made for Mitsubishi.

The idea of a WRX with a CVT sounds perfectly dreadful to me.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,501,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post

Maybe a GOOD performing one like from a Ferrari, but not the slow, weaksauce VW version. Ive really WANTED to like the dsg in the vw and M3, but they are not very good.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yep, they don't really have the resources to develop their own and their longitudinal AWD setup means an outside supplier like Getrag can't just tweak an existing unit such as the one made for Mitsubishi.

The idea of a WRX with a CVT sounds perfectly dreadful to me.
I still think it's a better option than the dinosaur of a 4 speed automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru