Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times

Advertisements

I was quite happy to be notified that Subaru has extended my warranty on the CVT aspect of the powertrain to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

At the rate I drive and my age (although hopefully not) that could constitute a lifetime guarantee.

(For all cars, regardless of warranty start date or mileage, it's one year.)

The cynical side of me wonders, though, if there has been a problem with defects and this is a caution?
Goggling hasn't turned up anything much other than a few complaints about the behavior of the CVT itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:52 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was quite happy to be notified that Subaru has extended my warranty on the CVT aspect of the powertrain to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

At the rate I drive and my age (although hopefully not) that could constitute a lifetime guarantee.

(For all cars, regardless of warranty start date or mileage, it's one year.)

The cynical side of me wonders, though, if there has been a problem with defects and this is a caution?
Goggling hasn't turned up anything much other than a few complaints about the behavior of the CVT itself.

What model and year?

Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I just bought a used Forester Premium. I asked about the extended drive train warranty and got it at no charge. Dealers can provide this if you ask.

I saw a badge on a Subaru with a 2 on it. I asked about it and they give these away to designate how many Subarus you have owned. You get them from the Subaru web site.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:16 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
What is going on with the Subaru CVTs that they are extending the warranty? I was figuring to get a Impreza or WRX auto and be able to keep it for high mileage use.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:31 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I just bought a used Forester Premium. I asked about the extended drive train warranty and got it at no charge. Dealers can provide this if you ask.

I saw a badge on a Subaru with a 2 on it. I asked about it and they give these away to designate how many Subarus you have owned. You get them from the Subaru web site.
It's their "badge of ownership". You can also get a bunch of different "activity" badges to signify what you use your Subaru for (skiing, kayaking, diving, etc.). I got a bunch of them for our two Subies. Of course, I also like my car devoid of these things so I have it stuck to the cabinet of my workroom along with the letters from when I de-badged my car.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:53 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
When we received the letter/notice of the extension, I thought it was good re: guaranteed general longevity. BUT then I read the article below which attributes it (also??) to a SAFETY related problem that IMO can be dangerous if not repaired via recall or minimally an explanation of possible early symptoms to owners...who might not realize it is happening as it worsens until it causes an accident.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/.../#53da5803ab27

Old 03-24-2018, 01:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
I had a 2015 Forester CVT fail at about 35,000 miles. Took days to get it fixed, but I had a loaner meanwhile. The failure was a bearing on the output shaft that was pressed into the case, non-repairable.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM

58 posts, read 65,809 times
OP. I have a 2014 Subaru Forester. When I bought it, I got a really hard sell to purchase an extended warranty for the vehicle because if the transmission went out, it would cost $6,000 or more to replace (and that was replace as repair was not an option). I said no of course, but thought I would get rid of the car right before the regular warranty expired. I think a lot of folks were thinking like I was, so they were starting to dump their Subarus on the market, so Subaru gave most models an extended warranty on the transmission.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
This is interesting to me because I was thinking that if I were to buy a new Subaru I would dicker down to the lowest possible price and then demand a no charge 10 years/100k warranty on the CVT to close the deal just because as the above posts point out it is likely the only major component that will fail in a Subaru and it’s outrageously expensive to replace. If you stand by your cars that critical component should be a part of it.

Good to see that dealers and or the company is doing so.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
So does that mean they might be prone to breaking after the 100k warranty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru