Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:06 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times

Advertisements

Looking at subcompact SUVs. Test drove the Forester recently. Went to actually drive the Crosstrek but when I tried it out, it did not feel as comfortable as the Forester which sits higher off the ground, and has a more comfortable cabin. With the pronounced slant of the Crosstrek's front windows, I'd keep hitting my head getting in and out of the car. I liked the better visibility in the Forester as well. I drove the manual version, and found the gear changes to be far more precise than the Honda HRV but less precise than the Kia Soul. The manual version also did not seem to come with hill start assist, which was not a deal breaker for me since I've been driving manuals all my life. Certainly will now have to add it to my list of possibilities, even though I'm not in the market for a car that size! Pity they don't make a smaller version! The salesman also told me that the head gasket and oil consumption issues that plagued the pre 2014 models was now solved (not sure if that's fact or fiction), and that Subaru was fixing all the models that had those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 11:33 AM

336 posts, read 377,865 times
Head gasket and oil consumption are no longer an issue.

Between the current Crosstrek and Forester, the Forester is the superior car.

The 2017 Crosstrek is a 2016 Impreza on 3" stilts. The 2017 Impreza is a much better car, and, once Suburu releases a Crosstrek (2018? 2019?) based on the 2017 Impreza, the Crosstrek might be worth another look. Until then, stick to the Forester or the Outback.

Note Suburu is in the process of replacing the outdated/obsolete infotainment systems and electronics in all of its vehicles. The 2017 Impreza is currently the only Suburu with a modern infotainment system and electronics, but all other Suburu vehicles should receive the same electronics upgrade later this year. This will bring Suburu up to par with (and in some cases surpass) the competition.

Last edited by VAGeek; 03-05-2017 at 11:49 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 09:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,246 times
Have a 2017 Forester and drove a Crosstrek before buying the Forester. The Crosstrek was nice but lacked the higher driving position and great visibility of the Forester. The Crosstrek just had too many compromises compared to the Forester.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:35 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Planetsubaru.com has some good comparisons between the Forester and the Crosstrek. They have great comparisons between their other models as well. Good web site if you are considering a Subaru...

Incidentally, we just bought a 2017 Forester. We never seriously considered the Crosstrek - not enough cargo space. We like it a lot so far - a lot of very terrific features, and the visibility is terrific! We did remove the rear headrests, since they do block the rear visibility for the driver a bit. We rarely have passengers, so the headrests aren't normally needed. We stashed them in the storage compartment where they will be easily available *if* we do need them...

Old 05-29-2017, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 25,810 times
All the above are true. I have a 2016 Crosstrek, because it fits in my garage and my skis go in with the rear seats down. I can't go more than the 70.1" width, with my narrow garage.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:59 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I really liked the Crosstrek, and its compact size was a plus for me. Small but still roomy enough for a bigger person. The thing I didn't like is the power output. All-Drive or not, even for 2018, the HP is only 152 and there is not sup'ed up XT version like Firester model either.

The vehicle is really underpowered, imho and it doesn't get that good of a mileage to justify its power output either.
I really love the interior and upgraded techie stuff as well as the look of the vehicle, and I really wanted to buy the 2018 model but only a 4 HP bump compared to 2017?
Please!

I shied away from Forester XT, too, mainly due to the model being available only with a CVT tranny, which is another deal-breaker for me.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
I'm always amazed at comments about the lack of power. The Crosstrek has more torque and HP than my old Toyota 4Runner TRUCK and yet that thing could go anywhere on or off road. I bought an Outback for my ski car because it gets great gas mileage / range, goes anywhere I care to go on or off road, and fits in my garage with a ski box on the roof. But then again I have plenty of other cars if I want to performance drive. The Subaru is meant to get me and my friends there and back with no fuss.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 AM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
I have owned 2 Outbacks, a Forester, and a 1996 4WD Hatchback. Last month I rented a Crosstrek and put at least 500 miles on it. I loved all of these vehicles. However, until Subaru goes back to building an on demand 4WD like they previously did, I have moved onto other brands.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:43 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I have owned 2 Outbacks, a Forester, and a 1996 4WD Hatchback. Last month I rented a Crosstrek and put at least 500 miles on it. I loved all of these vehicles. However, until Subaru goes back to building an on demand 4WD like they previously did, I have moved onto other brands.
Why? The 'tires must match' issue?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:06 PM

628 posts, read 838,102 times
i cant tell you about the corsstrek but i was in a Subaru Impreza hatchback basically the same as the Crosstrek but lowered by a few inches It was not good in the back seat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru