Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 02:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm having trouble with what I should do here. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback which has developed a slow external oil leak from the driver's side head gasket. It's been going on for about 5 or 6 months now and I haven't lost any oil and just a bit of coolant here and there. No overheating. I've got a discount at a local Subaru dealer that will make the gasket job about $1400 including the trip for the heads to the machine shop.

My dilemma is whether I should follow through with the job or just get a different vehicle. The car has 114k miles and I just did the timing belt job about 20k miles ago and put new tires on a couple months back. I like the vehicle, but I just wonder if trading it toward a newer vehicle would be a better idea. Of course the $1400 is a fraction of the vehicle's present value. I'm leaning towards the repair and keeping the car. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 02:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Well, I'm having trouble with what I should do here. I have a 2011 Subaru Outback which has developed a slow external oil leak from the driver's side head gasket. It's been going on for about 5 or 6 months now and I haven't lost any oil and just a bit of coolant here and there. No overheating. I've got a discount at a local Subaru dealer that will make the gasket job about $1400 including the trip for the heads to the machine shop.

My dilemma is whether I should follow through with the job or just get a different vehicle. The car has 114k miles and I just did the timing belt job about 20k miles ago and put new tires on a couple months back. I like the vehicle, but I just wonder if trading it toward a newer vehicle would be a better idea. Of course the $1400 is a fraction of the vehicle's present value. I'm leaning towards the repair and keeping the car. What do you think?
Absolutely!
That thing has a lot of miles left in it.
$1400 bucks is what...2 or 3 car payments on a new one?
Do it!

Old 05-28-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If in a rust free area yes, (Tacoma, WA is generally rust free),

Do the head / seals / water pump, and get another 100K out of this car (if you like it and can afford the dismal economy of a Subaru (they have their merits.. but economy is NOT one).. longevity, yes...

Get a few estimates from Subaru ONLY repair shops.
Oil leak is NOT a Head Gasket leak (that will be indicated by steamy white 'disappearing' smoke, and / or oil in engine coolant, and or excessive pressure / soot in engine coolant.

Consider putting it up for sale at 280k (pre 300k).

being from WA... the sales tax alone on your 'replacement' car might cover most of the repair.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:00 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i would also go for the repair, and i would get a few estimates on replacing the head gasket as well.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:09 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
Thanks. I have gotten a variety of estimates all around the Puget Sound. All the indie Subaru shops and dealers. Taking it to Hanson Subaru in Olympia. As otherwise noted above, it is indeed a gasket leak. Oil is leaking externally from the DS gasket seam - where the SOHC EJ25 is known to develop leaks. I actually diagnosed it myself. White smoke etc is symptomatic of internal leaks where coolant and oil mix, which is of course catastrophic - more common in DOHC engines, but of course both types of leakage can occur in either. I will go ahead with the repair. Thanks for your replies.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
OK, fine

good luck,

& many happy miles

Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post

You answered your own question.........

Old 05-29-2018, 01:46 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
If you want a second opinion, check out All Wheel Drive Auto's website, they strike me as a pretty good shop.

https://allwheeldriveauto.com/

https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru...gasket-repair/

"We have been using the Six Star Head Gasket since late 2007, with a much better success rate than the OE Subaru Head gaskets. We often see Subaru’s repaired at the Subaru Dealer or just a general repair shop leak again after just a year or two. We don’t feel this is a good use of your money, and we can serve you better."

$tealer is not always better. Just sayin'.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:49 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Fix it.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
That car isn't even halfway to the end of its service life. If you don't fix it, I'm sure someone else will be delighted to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru