Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

I have to take a pill (genetics). But I found that drinking a small glass of pomegranate juice everyday lowered it even more. Had to stop it regularly because it gave me heartburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:34 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
looking for ideas to lower cholestrol without taking a prescription drug...
I think high LDL cholesterol is more due to eating sugary foods inclouding sodas and alchohol; and baked goods from refined flours as well as dairy products.

Kyolic puts out some fantastic products. I'd go to a good health food store and start taking one of the Kyolic formulas and probably take twice what is recommended. Also Lecithin is an inexpensive way to cut cholesterol and Red Yeast Rice formulas-- especially by Doctors Best works wonders for some people but doesn't work for others.

I remember coming back from college in New Orleans where I did go wild eating lots of foods and drinks I shouldn't have and had high cholesterol and by just going to a gym and working out 2 hours a day for three days a week including running a mile each time, I was able to lower my cholesterol without changing my diet. Today, I don't know if I could get myself to become a gym rat again. So the diet; supplements and whatever exercize you can get would be preferable for me.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:59 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,636 times
From Webmd:

Red Yeast Rice (RED YEAST: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD)

"The active ingredient in red yeast is the same as the active ingredient in prescription drugs called statins used for high cholesterol. That’s why red yeast has all the possible side effects, drug interactions, and precautions associated with this type of drug. The American Heart Association warns against using red yeast until the results of long-term studies are in. You should talk with your healthcare provider if you plan to take red yeast."

Old 05-15-2011, 04:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
From Webmd:

Red Yeast Rice (RED YEAST: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD)

"The active ingredient in red yeast is the same as the active ingredient in prescription drugs called statins used for high cholesterol. That’s why red yeast has all the possible side effects, drug interactions, and precautions associated with this type of drug. The American Heart Association warns against using red yeast until the results of long-term studies are in. You should talk with your healthcare provider if you plan to take red yeast."
I doubt this is news to anyone who uses this. But it's a good warning for people who are considering using it.

I had all the negative symptoms and worse on prescribed Cholesterol meds and my doctors were unable to understand the problem. In fact typically they just told me the problems would go away in time.

That's when I did some research and discovered that Statins ANY Statins whether prescribed or from other sources should be taken with CQ10. I consulted with a naturopath who suggested either a prescribed Statin to be taken along with CQ10 or RRY taken along with CQ10.

I opted for the RRY and CQ10. Fish oil also helps. My cholesterol is just fine as a result and there are no bad side effects. As far as other drug interactions, I don't suppose that RRY Statin will interact any better or worse than a prescription Statin.

And I try to watch my diet but my cholesterol while not through the roof without meds is more of an inherited condition that is shared by my entire family. Exercise helps too.

Of course any attending physician should be aware of everything one is taking whether it's chemical drugs, supplements, herbs, etc. My docs all ask me for updates when I see them so they know what I am taking. Some are pretty well educated in all types of meds. One thing for sure is that if any of the chemical drugs I do have to take are being interfered with by the others, they would see that in their test results.

Any foreign substance taken into the body can be dangerous. Many FDA approved drugs have killed people. My philosophy is know what is going into your body and why.

Good example; my MD's dingbat Medical Assistant in faxing a prescription put the order in for me to take 10 pills when the actual RX was only supposed to be for 5. The pharmacist questioned it, I questioned it and found the error.

My pharmacist told me she was always amazed that people didn't want to wait to hear about the drugs they were being given. It is the policy of the pharmacy to explain everything about the drug if it is the first time prescribed for the patient. They even ask if there are any questions or anything they can go over when dispensing refills.

Never, ever put something in your system without knowing all the possible results. When it comes to meds, take advantage of your pharmacist's knowledge. He or she will undoubtedly be more informed about it than your doctor.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
What I find totally irresponsible is physicians who prescribe statin drugs w/o informing the patient of the need to supplement with co-Q-10. I know some statin drugs have it included, but if it's not then the doc should tell you.

The problem that I see with RYR is that there may be counterindications for it's use and you'd never know it or be tested for those things. On the other hand, they're likely to inform you that you need the co-Q-10. I've heard that triglycerides are a better predictor of heart disease and those seem to be directly influenced by your sugar or grain consumption.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Triglycerides are directly influenced by several things - but it would be fat and sugar, not grain and sugar, if you're considering specific types of foods (as opposed to simply consuming more calories than you burn, which also directly contributes to high triglycerides).

Old 05-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Exercise daily; avoid saturated fats; take Fish Oil Supplements; also take calcium (which has been shown to help your body's metabolism brun fat) and also Vitamin D, which helps the body absorb the Calcium.
Fish Oil can also help raise your HDL (good cholesterol) as well as lower TriGlycerides (basically, fat in your blood.)

By following these steps I dropped my LDL (bad cholesterol) by 20 points and raised my HDL by about 15 points and dropped by Trigs by about 30%.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,006 times
yes exercise is a great way to lower cholesterol. you dont have to do intense workout. just 30 mins a day of brisk walking or walking around the mall will do the job.

my regimen include
-- fish oil capsules (i get mine from maxalife)
-- 30 mins of cardio every other day
-- canned tuna or sardines at least twice a week
-- no sugar in my black coffee
-- more fruits and veggies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements