Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times

Advertisements

When I was a teenager I had ADD took aderal. Made me feel very speedy and speed totally changes my personality as well, just didn't like it.

Now years down the road after college and I'm working a job below my abilities mainly because it doesn't require focus I feel like I'm going to go crazy sitting 8 hours at a desk starting at excel sheets which was my job before I took my now slacker job.

I was considering getting back on ADD meds but really dont wanna be dependent on speed. Wondering if there's any natural remedies for ADD.

Also looking for something for anxiety. Anyone tried taking passionflower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,283 times
How about magnesium citrate for anxiety? Or Calm,its a magnesium drink. Also L-Theanine is
supposed to help with anxiety. Also heard Fish Oil helps. and one more is 5-HTP.. Hope you find
some of these help!

Greenchili

Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM

17 posts, read 38,796 times
Have you tried this product for anxiety AgoraFear Relief™ - Remedy for Agoraphobia to Stop Anxiety & Fears this is homeopathic medicine made with natural ingreidents.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I missed this when it came out b/c I was at the Grand Canyon, but this is a topic that I've been looking at quite a lot lately. Interesting that there are no answers for what to do naturally for AD/HD, yet every time it gets mentioned on here, someone will chime in about how you should avoid meds, but not one of those chimers can tell you what you should do naturally. Sorry being a grouch b/c I can't sleep right now, but I'll tell what I've discovered.

I just finished reading a book called The Ultramind Solution, which talks about nutritional solutions for many of the problems that plague the brain, including ADHD. Much of what I say here is from his book, but I've been doing a lot of internet searching as well. One thing he recommends and that I haven't tried yet, but am getting geared up to do is to try the elimination diet. Basically you take out the two biggest culprits that cause people problems and that is gluten and dairy. A link to the diet: ADHD Diet Plan : Eating Program for Your ADD ADHD Child | ADD ADHD Information Library
This is a commercial site but they offer natural solutions and it's worth a look at the rest of the site as well. The reason the diet is recommended is b/c most sufferers of ADHD have allergies and gut problems as well--that certainly is true of me and I suspect gluten is a problem though I hope it's not--I love good homemade bread. The good news is that if you stay off the offending food and heal your gut, you can add the offending foods back in slowly. Good nutrients for healing the gut are probiotics, inulin fiber, and glutamine taken on an empty stomach. Even if you don't do the elimination diet, it's very helpful to avoid sugary foods and artificial sweeteners. People with ADHD tend to crave sugary foods and that's true of me, but you have to resist if you want to have a brain.

The supplements that I've found most useful are tyrosine, taken first thing in the am on an empty stomach, vitamin B, fish oil, and green tea. Just don't drink that green tea too late in the day as I did today! Tyrosine will help build up the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is in short supply with ADHD. This will also help with depression issues. Keeping my vitamin D levels up has helped immensely with allergies and thus kept my brain clearer. Ca/Mg/Zinc is also a supplement that I take and those with ADHD tend to be low on Mg, and Ca and Zinc also help the brain. Oh, I tend towards anemia and have to take iron and when I get low I get stupid. Another thing you should know is that studies have not backed up the claims for gingko. Yet. I have noticed very good results with ginseng but don't really take it right now.

I have gotten aware of inflammation lately and that was also mentioned in the book. If you have inflammation then it can really affect your brain and your overall health in a very negative way. Turmeric is the spice that is most helpful for keeping it down and I read that even if you only consume it rarely it's still helpful. I love indian food and I've been trying to cook more Asian foods to prep for my elimination diet, since Asian foods are naturally low in gluten and dairy. This is supposed to also help to prevent cancer, heart disease, and alzheimer's.

As for the anxiety, I've found that alleviating the symptoms of ADHD can help with that quite a lot. I've noticed that much of my own anxiety is due to worrying about what I've left undone, worrying about the folks I've let down due to my procrastination, and not being able to find work that matches my education level.

I'm rambling so I'll boil it down:

1. Eat clean and green and lower carb, with sugar down as low as you can get it and still wish to live. Shoot for 35 gms of fiber per day and eat as many veggies as you can stuff in.
2. Get all your vitamins by taking a daily multi plus added B, D, Ca/Mg/Zinc, fish oil and probiotics plus some antioxidants. I switch these around and will take coQ10 for a few weeks and ALA for a few more. Too expensive to take them all, all the time.
3. When you get strong, try the elimination diet for 6 weeks and see how you do. I'm still getting psyched up for this and I'll check in later and let you all know how it went. If you have depression, autism, or alzheimer's it would also be worth a try.
4. While doing the elimination diet, heal the gut by taking glutamine first thing in the am and really high quality probiotics during the day whenever you get hungry. I like the Garden of Life ones with HSO's.
5. Coffee and green tea are fine and beneficial for those with ADHD but don't overdo them or the anxiety level will shoot up.
6. Try the tyrosine--it works almost as well as adderall for me, or in my case as a booster since I still take adderall.
7. Use turmeric to keep down inflammation--you can get it in pill form or you can learn to cook healthy foods with it.

Anyway, I've not completed my own program yet so can't say yet whether I'll be able to get off meds, but I know that I'm thinking more clearly already, even w/o the elimination phase completed. Everything else I've done and all seem to help. The clearest I ever got w/o meds was during the Atkins diet and I wonder if that's b/c I wasn't getting gluten. We'll see. This is all a distillation of all of the reading I've done for the past few weeks though so take it for what it's worth. The fact is that we just can't eat like everyone else does, but maybe that's a good thing.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
I find kratom to be an excellent remedy for minor anxiety. In my system, it is also a mood enhancer.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I find kratom to be an excellent remedy for minor anxiety. In my system, it is also a mood enhancer.
I have never heard of that so I looked it up and it looks like it may be of some help. I wonder though--do you have symptoms of inattention or just anxiety? The reason I ask is b/c ADHD anxiety may be different from anxiety that has no apparent cause. The fact is that we often have a good reason to be anxious--we know we are forgetting something important at all times and we're usually right. When you always pay bills late, always show up for important meetings without the important paperwork and look like a fool in front of everyone and possibly on the wrong day too, and you've just lost a friendship b/c you kept putting off returning phone calls, you are going to be anxious. So for those of you who have posted remedies for anxiety, can you let me know if you have ADHD also?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
I've heard coming of gluten is the best way to help. I've read several studies that show gluten acts like heroin or opitum on the brain creating MANY conditions.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've heard coming of gluten is the best way to help. I've read several studies that show gluten acts like heroin or opitum on the brain creating MANY conditions.
Yes, it's helped a lot of people. I just pray I don't have to stay off gluten.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:49 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, it's helped a lot of people. I just pray I don't have to stay off gluten.
I came off after being deathly sick for 7 years, within 5 days practically every symptom cleared up. Stuff no doctor could diagnosis and they were sending me to Mayo Clinic for 7 hours away. Its terrible for you really

Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I came off after being deathly sick for 7 years, within 5 days practically every symptom cleared up. Stuff no doctor could diagnosis and they were sending me to Mayo Clinic for 7 hours away. Its terrible for you really
Well I'm not sick but I do have a lot of minor health problems. I remember that the clearest I ever was in my head was when I did the Atkins diet once and maybe that's because I wasn't eating any gluten. Yeah I really need to get on this but I have a big family thing coming up at the end of the month for a week and I'm doing most of the cooking and they will want my bread and pie. Then I'll do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements