Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 AM

27 posts, read 65,374 times

Advertisements

Let start a new and great conversation..

just wondering... : what supplement (s) do you take right now?

Follow this format...

1)What supplement(s) do you take?
2)What are they for?
3)What benefits do you see from taking them?
4)Where is the best place to buy them?

Example: (in my case...)

1.) I'm only taking 1 supplement as of this moment. MX Natural Energy.
2.) It's an energy booster supplement
3.) Increased energy and immune response and better mental clarity (that's what i need to perform well on my work)
4.) I bough it through online. Not sure if it's available in the market worldwide.

So.. What are you waiting for??
Post the Supplement You've Taking Right Now..
And kindly follow the format in a nice and neat way
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Do you have all day ... because it takes me all day to swallow them.

All-purpose multi-vitamin (Costco)
Eye vitamin with lots of Lutein (I'm cataract-prone)
Vitamin D supplement (Doc says I need it, many women with thyroid problems have low D)
Vitamin C supplement (Dad started giving it to me when I was a kid)
Fish oil (no cancer in my family, but death by heart disease on both sides)
A baby aspirin per day (reduces blood clots)
An Andrew Lessman combo-supplement (for improved circulation)
Andrew Lessman's Resveratrol/Pomegranate supplement (for heart health since I don't drink and it's the good stuff from red wine)
Glucosamine/MSM (just started taking for stiff knees)
Biotin supplement (for hair and nails - yes, it helps but you have to take a ton)
Turmeric (20 Health Benefits of Turmeric)
Green tea extract (supposed to help to increase metabolism -- mine is terrible from years of untreated thyroid issues)
Cinnamon capsule after every meal (it definitely helps regulate blood sugar so I don't get snack attacks and it helps me stick to my absolutely no sugar and as few white foods as possible diet)

I buy vitamins where I find them cheapest (Costco, supermarket specials, online such as Drugstore.com, GNC sales. Andrew Lessman vitamins are from Andrew Lessman Vitamins & Supplements at HSN.com I think he has good combinations and high-quality, although they are expensive. My elderly mother especially likes them because they are usually small capsules rather that the cheaper-to-produce but harder-to-swallow&digest rock hard mega-pills.

I quit drinking years ago and have never smoked. People always tell me I don't look my age -- but I would credit that with no smoking and no sun bathing even more than the vitamins. And don't forget rock 'n roll. I always look and feel better after a night of good music.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:01 AM

591 posts, read 866,489 times
OK, Here are mine:

Biotin, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Folic Acid (all the B-s for various reasons)
Lutein, Saw Palmetto, Fish Oil, Co-Q-10, Chelated Zinc

Then because I have the "Irish" personality and they calm me down: St. Johns Wort, Kava Kava and Valerian, only a little of each

And the baby aspirin so many take these days

BTW I don't take any vitamin D, I drink lots of milk and have my share of cheeses, and get enough sunlight

In the past I have taken Glucosamine/Chondroitin and Alpha-lipoic acid/L-Beta-Carnitine, and I may resume those soon; and BTW I have to swallow in two-three batches, there's no way I can get it all down at once.

Honestly, after having started taken all these since about 3 years ago, I can definitely say I feel healthier and younger. Vision has improved and nails are stronger too.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,237 times
Default supplements for health and beauty

I am also looking for some health supplement. which is best supplement? please suggest me and if any side effects please tell me.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I take BJ's chewable childrens' multi-vitamins; one and a half per day. For general health.

The end.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Why can't someone make a supplement that has everything you need, or different supplements that include specific things, without having to take a million pills? My stomach doesn't handle taking a lot of pills. Multivitamins don't contain enough of some vitamins (maybe according to RDA, but usually that's less than you really should have).

I can't seem to make myself stay on them for long, because I hate swallowing pills, but I feel like I need:

multivitamin
vitamin C
vitamin E
vitamin D3 (my level was low when checked by doctor)
calcium (but usually I drink enough milk not to need this)
B-complex
lecithin
selenium
zinc
copper
maganese
magnesium

But then I hear about all these other things you should take too. I feel like I'm just guessing at what I need the most based on things I have read.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Vitamin D3 - immunity, there are studies that show that Vitamin D promotes the release of naturally occurring antimicrobial peptides in our bodies.
Vitamin C - immunity and skin health.
GNC multi-vitamin/mineral
Vitamin K2 - for bone, heart, vein and artery health
Green tea w/white tea - 1-2 cups daily
Dark Chocolate squares - the bag has 60-86% cacao squares, it's supposed to have similar heart benefits as red wine.

I like my supplement list, I started about 3 years ago and I have not gotten sick since then; even when interacting with people who have had the flu or bacterial infections. I used to take Fish Oil, but since I also eat dark chocolate didn't feel the need to take it anymore.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Why can't someone make a supplement that has everything you need, or different supplements that include specific things, without having to take a million pills? My stomach doesn't handle taking a lot of pills. Multivitamins don't contain enough of some vitamins (maybe according to RDA, but usually that's less than you really should have).

I can't seem to make myself stay on them for long, because I hate swallowing pills, but I feel like I need:

multivitamin
vitamin C
vitamin E
vitamin D3 (my level was low when checked by doctor)
calcium (but usually I drink enough milk not to need this)
B-complex
lecithin
selenium
zinc
copper
maganese
magnesium

But then I hear about all these other things you should take too. I feel like I'm just guessing at what I need the most based on things I have read.
Because it's expected that the vast majority of people will get their vitamins and other nutrients from food.

The word "supplement" means "something in addition to," or "added to" or "in conjunction with."

Supplements are supposed to make up whatever you're missing from whatever food that is available to you. Food is supposed to be your primary source of nutrition.

There is no reason why the average person who eats well and is in general good health, should have to include supplements to their diets at all.

If you are older, you might need calcium, and you might need a little boost of everything as your organs slowly age. And so, a multi with calcium is sufficient.

If you have some odd deficiency that cannot be accommodated exclusively with food, then yeah you'll need supplements. Anemia might be one of those things - if your anemia is very mild, borderline, you can just eat a little more peanutbutter or spinach, and problem solved. If a blood disorder is causing a more significant deficiency, then you'll need iron pills.

But in general, a single multi-vitamin per day is really all you need to make up for the lack of nutrients in fast food and crappy eating habits of modern Americans.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Because it's expected that the vast majority of people will get their vitamins and other nutrients from food.

The word "supplement" means "something in addition to," or "added to" or "in conjunction with."

Supplements are supposed to make up whatever you're missing from whatever food that is available to you. Food is supposed to be your primary source of nutrition.

There is no reason why the average person who eats well and is in general good health, should have to include supplements to their diets at all.

If you are older, you might need calcium, and you might need a little boost of everything as your organs slowly age. And so, a multi with calcium is sufficient.

If you have some odd deficiency that cannot be accommodated exclusively with food, then yeah you'll need supplements. Anemia might be one of those things - if your anemia is very mild, borderline, you can just eat a little more peanutbutter or spinach, and problem solved. If a blood disorder is causing a more significant deficiency, then you'll need iron pills.

But in general, a single multi-vitamin per day is really all you need to make up for the lack of nutrients in fast food and crappy eating habits of modern Americans.
I'm going to have to disagree, some foods only have around 6% or less of certain vitamins and minerals so I don't think you can get all the nutrients from food. Multivitamins are good for that but some of them are too close to RDA levels which some people feel are outdated. RDA levels were implemented to prevent deficiencies, but others feel you need more to promote better health. For example, the RDA for Vitamin D is still 400 IU when in fact many scientists and doctors believe 1,000-2,000 a day is much better for health.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree, some foods only have around 6% or less of certain vitamins and minerals so I don't think you can get all the nutrients from food. Multivitamins are good for that but some of them are too close to RDA levels which some people feel are outdated. RDA levels were implemented to prevent deficiencies, but others feel you need more to promote better health. For example, the RDA for Vitamin D is still 400 IU when in fact many scientists and doctors believe 1,000-2,000 a day is much better for health.
Then you'd pick different foods. If you know that ice cream doesn't provide enough iron, then hey - how about don't rely on ice cream for your iron. Try maybe, a salad instead.

If you discover that chopped liver on rye doesn't provide enough calcium, or vitamin D then uh - maybe have something that does. Like fortified milk.

There is no single food that will satisfy your RDA of everything, and most of them won't satisfy your RDA of anything. It's a good thing then, that people get hungry more than once a day, and their taste buds allow them to enjoy more than one kind of food.

You cannot get all your nutrients from any SINGLE food, that is true. But you can get them from a healthy variety of foods.

Also - a multi containing vitamin D is enough, if you also get some exposure to the sun during the day.

Multis are not -supposed- to provide 100% of your daily requirement of anything, because they are supposed to SUPPLEMENT your meals, not replace them.

Supplements are not a replacement for food. They are a supplement to it. That's why they're called supplements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements