Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 12:05 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times

Advertisements

If you're a serious supplement taker how many do you take and how much do you spend (per month or year) This year I'm spending 200.00

(If you don't take vitamins, think they're a waste, or just poo poo the idea, then please don't answer. This question clearly isn't for you.)

I do take them, a fair amount, and some fairly expensive ones. I do like the ones I take. I just am not thrilled that they cost so much. Again, thrilled with the product, just not the cost. I think I'm still just working through that issue. And WILL likely increase by intake and purchases.

I take Andrew Lessman's Pro Caps:
-- Essential-1 Multivitamin
-- Healthy Hair Skin Nails
-- Eye Support with leutein
-- Immune Support
-- Andrew's Five Faves (co Q 10, Resveratrol, etc)
-- Spices and Herbs
-- Green Foods (chorella, spirulina, etc)
-- Friendly Flora (probiotics)
-- Brain/Memory Formula (Actyl L Carnitine, ginseng, B12, etc)

I don't take all of this EVERY day. I take one of these EACH day....to try to stretch them to last, because of the cost. Medium bottles of all of these (60 per) cost about 200.00. And taking one supplement per day, can spread all this out for a year. 200.00 for the year.

But I'm think of doing more....that a few hundred a year isn't too much if I think they are good for me.

If you're a serious supplement taker how many do you take and how much do you spend (per month or year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
I take a children's chewable multivitamin every morning. I get BJ's (similar to Costco) brand, I think it comes 200 to the container for $20 or something like that.
I'll be adding one TUMS and one vitamin D tablet daily, as soon as I remember that I need to buy them, while I'm actually at a store that sells them.

The reason I don't take the Calcium + D tablets, is because they're horse-pills that smell bad and I can't swallow them without gagging. It's the same reason I don't take tablets for the multis. The single-vitamin D tablets are very small and very easy to swallow, and don't smell funky.

I'll probably get the supermarket brand instead of the TUMs, unless the TUMs are on sale cheaper than the store brand. I think the brand of D's I'd get are called Nature Made. Just a common store brand, nothing fancy.

It'll put me out maybe $60 for the year.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If you're a serious supplement taker how many do you take and how much do you spend (per month or year) This year I'm spending 200.00

(If you don't take vitamins, think they're a waste, or just poo poo the idea, then please don't answer. This question clearly isn't for you.)

I do take them, a fair amount, and some fairly expensive ones. I do like the ones I take. I just am not thrilled that they cost so much. Again, thrilled with the product, just not the cost. I think I'm still just working through that issue. And WILL likely increase by intake and purchases.

-- Immune Support
-- Spices and Herbs

I don't take all of this EVERY day. I take one of these EACH day....to try to stretch them to last, because of the cost. Medium bottles of all of these (60 per) cost about 200.00. And taking one supplement per day, can spread all this out for a year. 200.00 for the year.

But I'm think of doing more....that a few hundred a year isn't too much if I think they are good for me.

If you're a serious supplement taker how many do you take and how much do you spend (per month or year)
A multivitamin won't do you any good if you don't take it every day. You're basically putting vitamins and minerals into your body at uneven intervals, which is no better than having a salad on Sunday, fish on Monday, steak on Tuesday, an orange on Wednesday, green beans on Thursday, pizza on Friday, and a banana on Saturday. In other words, it's pointless and won't make you healthy, or healthier.

If you feel great, it's because you're in good health. It isn't because you're alternating supplements that have instructions right on the label to take one or two of each per day.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,502,568 times
I think I'm a serious supplement taker, as you call it. (And I believe Lessman's is very good, though I don't take that brand, yet - I've heard lots about it from a close friend that does buy Lessman's.)

In better economic times I (we) spent more than $100 per month - now we buy what we can, prioritizing.

When I first got started and very interested in it (and after witnessing it help a few things) I remember having a shelf full of bottles and not doing very well - consistency wise. Eventually I decided to take some things regularly (ie, minerals, oils) and then other things I would rotate and take for a few weeks or month, and rotate to something else, or a couple of other things. And I put that 'set' of bottles someplace where I see them everyday.

You have quite a nice selection going on. And as time goes on, you'll be able to 'stagger' the purchases, which I found helpful, financially. One place I buy at offers a 25% discount on any second bottle you buy of the same item - and since it's mail order, I try to buy a couple, few things at a time to keep the shipping/handling cost-effective.

Myself, I just don't think I will get many of these things in my diet, or my activities (ie vit D) and so I just don't see how it can hurt. And, as I mentioned, I've seen positive results too, and that's inspiring.

What I've heard about relying on TUMS for calcium is that since TUMS is meant to quell stomach acid, it doesn't help to digest that type of calcium, or that type of calcium is hard to break down and absorb. Though I do think it may be better than 'nothing' at least. And, I agree, you have to find tablets/caps that you can deal with taking (size and smell).

I think you're off to a GREAT start!!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
What I've heard about relying on TUMS for calcium is that since TUMS is meant to quell stomach acid, it doesn't help to digest that type of calcium, or that type of calcium is hard to break down and absorb. Though I do think it may be better than 'nothing' at least. And, I agree, you have to find tablets/caps that you can deal with taking (size and smell).
TUMs is the same calcium that's in the pills, but it's in chewable form, with a sweetener and artificial flavoring added. It's basically crushed chalk. It is *marketed* to quell stomach acid. But it doesn't quell it any better or worse than crushing a calcium tablet and drinking it in a glass of water. The only difference is, the taste isn't entirely offensive.

It will digest faster than taking a pill, because you're consuming it already crushed; it takes less time to dissolve in the stomach since your teeth did most of the work before it was ever swallowed. Since it digests faster, it also won't absorb as much. It has nothing to do with the quality of the calcium. It has to do with the method of delivery.

Fortunately, I get pretty much all the calcium my body requires to be healthy from food. However, I'm at risk for osteoarthritis, and so I need to supplement as a preventative. And since calcium absorbs more efficiently when it's combined with vitamin D, I'll take a D when I eat a TUMS. The reverse is also true: vitamin D absorbs more efficiently in the body when it's combined with calcium.

Just as an aside - since the OP is asking about which vitamins people are taking:

If you're taking A, you should be also taking zinc. And vice versa. Unless you're experiencing toxicity from too much of either, in which case, you reduce the intake of the toxic one, and add a little of the other one to help balance it out.

A + Zinc
Bcomplex + C
D + Calcium

Those are pairings that work best when combined.
There are others but it's been years since I learned about it.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
I don't know or care what it costs... basic multivitamin along with magnesium citrate, vitamin c, and vitamin K2 MK-4.. have a few others laying around too... calcium, selenium, iodine, chromium.... might pick up some D3... maybe maybe not.

Medical care costs a lot more than a little prevention... particularly the Vitamin K2 MK-4 is very important combined with a basic multi. Also the magnesium.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM

169 posts, read 661,449 times
I take several

Last edited by valentine92; 12-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: ..

Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 PM

169 posts, read 661,449 times
take several

Old 12-26-2012, 03:31 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,035,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

-- Immune Support
-- Spices and Herbs

I'm actually taking a lot of stuff but different amounts at different times:

MSM
Zinc
B-Complex
a pre-vitamin A complex
Selenium (Methylselenocystiene)
Oil of Oregano (LOVE THIS STUFF! 100% pure wild from Greece 85%+ carvacol)
Vitamin E
Chlorella (this is really a complex of natural vitamins and minerals - a whole food).
Limonene
Amino acid complex
NAC - (awesome stuff - actually put on muscle without doing anything else).
Green Coffee Bean Extract (does help curb my hunger).
Fish Oil
Ubiquinol
Magnesium and Chromium

I know there is more stuff, just can't think of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements