Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM

280 posts, read 686,053 times

Advertisements

Don't fermented foods generally contain both vitamins D and MK7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,382 times
Quote:
if you have to supplement, you need calcium in order for the supplement to do what it's supposed to do.
Please post this information, for I cannot find anything that claims to take calcium at all. sorry. I take Vit D3 because most do not get adequate amounts from sunshine especially in the North/winter. I take D3 with a full/fatty meal along with K2- for my bones and do weight bearing exercises to help keep those bones well, strong.

I eat a varied diet and I believe I get enough calcium from foods.

I have never read that supplementing with calcium is necessary. Magnesium yes. But calcium? No.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:12 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
Please post this information, for I cannot find anything that claims to take calcium at all. sorry. I take Vit D3 because most do not get adequate amounts from sunshine especially in the North/winter. I take D3 with a full/fatty meal along with K2- for my bones and do weight bearing exercises to help keep those bones well, strong.

I eat a varied diet and I believe I get enough calcium from foods.

I have never read that supplementing with calcium is necessary. Magnesium yes. But calcium? No.

Women over a certain age need to supplement with calcium unless they are getting a lot of dairy products. Osteoporosis becomes a concern. Also, people who consume a lot of caffeine tend to become low in calcium because caffeine leeches the calcium out of the bones. There are men who drank tons of coffee all day long and developed thinning bones. It probably depends on the person, their age, their diet. To fully absorb the calcium, they need magnesium too, of course.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:32 PM

166 posts, read 240,840 times
Fermented foods (natto and cheeses) are the best food sources of vitamin K2. You won't get it from rice or beans. Green leafy vegetables are generally K1. K1 is for blood clotting. K2 is for bone health. There are two forms of K2 - menaquinone 4 (MK-4 - synthetic / drug) and menaquinone 7 (MK-7). Studies have shown that MK-7 is far more effective than MK-4 in raising blood levels of K2 (lower levels needed and it stays in the blood much longer). The typical western diet does not provide much MK-7 at all.

Studies (human and animal) have shown that MK-7 helps to put calcium in your bones where you want it and keep it out of our arteries where you don't want it.

The calcium studies mentioned were done with calcium Only - not with vit D or vit K. Calcium supplementation is still very important for post menopausal women or people who have a history of osteoporosis. But in my opinion it should also contain D & K2 (as MK-7) to be effective.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:27 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,382 times
I take a food based K2 along with D3 to keep calcium OUT of my arteries and in my BONES where it belongs, just like h_scott said.

If you need to take calcium and want it to go into your BONES, ask your doctor to be sure you have plenty of K2. A little magnesium with the calcium helps, too.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 581 times
Yes, I thought vitamins like K and D you get from foods but if you want them properly then you need to use some supplements. But I'm still unsure as to whether to supplement or just try to eat enough normal everyday-type foods.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements