Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 05:44 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Grape seed proanthocyanidin extract attenuates allergic inflammation in murine models of asthma. - PubMed - NCBI

A friend is taking Grape Seed Ex now about 7 yrs and she is much improved as far as asthma.

I don't deal with asthma, but a life for before 1995 of allergy and sinus issues. Over 2 decades on this OPC and no more drugs in this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 06:24 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
There is no scientific study to support grape seed extract in the treatment of asthma. None.
I've had asthma my entire life. My childhood asthma was so severe and drugs for treatment so poor, my parents were told when I was 5 I was unlikely to survive. Thankfully the advent of inhaled steroids saved my life.

Asthma can be a very serious condition. If anyone suspects asthma they need to be immediately evaluated by a medical doctor and if diagnosed put on drugs to control the condition. Grape seed extract is not what anyone diagnosed with asthma should rely on for treatment.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:01 AM

I NEVER EVER said to stop drugs and take grape seed extract, I'm saying it can HELP reduce the asthma symptoms in the first place, reduce issues. That's how it's helping my friend, she takes LESS meds.

https://treato.com/Asthma,Grape+Seed+Extract/?a=s

Old 06-18-2016, 11:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I NEVER EVER said to stop drugs and take grape seed extract, I'm saying it can HELP reduce the asthma symptoms in the first place, reduce issues. That's how it's helping my friend, she takes LESS meds.

https://treato.com/Asthma,Grape+Seed+Extract/?a=s
The study you posted was a mouse trial. There's a lot of additional study involved, like with humans, before anyone can say with any authority that grape seed extract does anything for asthma or allergy. Glad your friend believes it helps, but one piece of anecdotal evidence (or many pieces) aren't reason to try this remedy.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Whatever people want to try or don't want to. It's OK. Just putting it out there. MOST trials are done with animals, right? I didn't post to argue or make points or...just an FYI.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:32 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
No more arguing. Take it or leave it. I will not close this thread but posts will be deleted for rudeness and arguing.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:33 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I'm glad someone's calling you on your irresponsible snake-oil proselytizing.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:56 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
I would just like to point out that this is not the alternative medicine forum. Asking for sources and critiquing claims made about supplements is permitted here.

Stating that there is no evidence that grape seed extract can help asthma is not arguing, it's just a statement of fact. The OP has made claims for grape seed extract in multiple threads and none of her claims are supported by any research. People who are reading her posts need to know that.

Here is a review, with sources, of grape seed extract.

https://examine.com/supplements/grape-seed-extract/

The only significant effect found so far in humans is an increase in blood flow. Any other effects in humans are minor.

This study did not show a beneficial effect of grape seed extract on allergic rhinitis (nasal allergies):

Evaluation of the clinical efficacy and safety of grapeseed extract in the treatment of fall seasonal allergic rhinitis: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI

The OP needs to be aware that half of adults with seasonal nasal allergies have their symptoms go away with no treatment at all.

Promoting grape seed extract for a disease like asthma, which is potentially fatal, is unwise when there is no evidence that it does anything to help the condition.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:07 PM

Suzy, I lived a life with allergies before I found Pycnogenol and then grape seed ex. Drugs, allergists the whole 9 yards....I don't like to take drugs and go to constant doctors and get NO HELP.. I was not getting better, spending money and time on drugs and doctors.

If one cares to check, there are MANY posts out "there" on this OPC for allergies and asthma and 60 some other health conditions. Being told it "MAY" prevent cancer is the MAIN reason I started on Pycnongenol at a young age of 57...who wants to hear that dx? And IF it could be prevented why not go for it.

I guess about 5% of the population think as I do. Why continue to add toxic loads to the body, lord knows we get bombarded day in and day out.

Peace out all. Take what you may like and leave the rest. I don't work in the pharma industry or supplement industry but in the industry of maintaining good health with as little toxic load as I can.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:45 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Suzy, I lived a life with allergies before I found Pycnogenol and then grape seed ex. Drugs, allergists the whole 9 yards....I don't like to take drugs and go to constant doctors and get NO HELP.. I was not getting better, spending money and time on drugs and doctors.

If one cares to check, there are MANY posts out "there" on this OPC for allergies and asthma and 60 some other health conditions. Being told it "MAY" prevent cancer is the MAIN reason I started on Pycnongenol at a young age of 57...who wants to hear that dx? And IF it could be prevented why not go for it.

I guess about 5% of the population think as I do. Why continue to add toxic loads to the body, lord knows we get bombarded day in and day out.

Peace out all. Take what you may like and leave the rest. I don't work in the pharma industry or supplement industry but in the industry of maintaining good health with as little toxic load as I can.
I understand that you are convinced the grape seed extract cured your allergies. The study I previously posted showed that when neither the patient nor the doctor knew who was getting the extract and who was not the extract worked no better than a placebo.

In addition, people with allergies may get better with no treatment at all. In fact, anyone with nasal allergies will know that some seasons and some years are better than others. It is common for the immune system to just stop reacting to substances that provoked a response in the past. Having your symptoms get better after you started taking it does not prove that taking it caused the symptoms to get better. It is more likely your immune system just got used to the pollen in your geographic are.

"Many posts" is not proof that grape seed extract does anything. It has actually been studied. The only thing it has been shown to do is increase blood flow, and there is no evidence it will prevent cancer in humans. For one thing, cancer is not one disease. Next, grape seed extract is not well absorbed and what is absorbed is quickly metabolized. That means it may be difficult to consume enough to do any good, even if the chemicals in the extract are found to have beneficial effects. Finally, many substances found to have effects on cancer cells in a lab or in mice turn out to have no effect when used in the human body.

Is Grape Seed Extract (GSE) Worth Taking? | Berkeley Wellness

"Bottom line: It’s too soon to know if GSE is beneficial for your health. But based on other studies of antioxidant supplements, it’s better to get your GSE from grapes than from a pill."

Eating a varied diet heavy on fruits and vegetables will accomplish more than loading up on supplements, including grape seed extract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements