Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times

Advertisements

Some people with impaired digestive systems, such as gastric bypass patients, need supplemental protein. Other diseases like cancer can cause a need for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I once read the ingredients on Whey powder and it was full of artificial crap.
Which brand? It depends which brand you look at. The ingredients in my Mercola whey protein are "Whey protein concentrate and sunflower lecithin"

Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,267,704 times
You really have no idea what is in any supplement powder:

Health Risks of Protein Drinks - Consumer Reports

It could contain heavy metals or anabolic steroids.

https://www.consumerlab.com/news/Pro...ed/06_11_2013/

Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
And we know what toxins are in the drugs pushed down the population's throats. Good grief.

Buy from quality sources and you can't go wrong. I'm taking supps over 25 yrs and don't buy the cheapest that's for sure. Do your research. There are many supplement companies in business decades. Most of my life I took great remedies from the beginning of time.

I'd never rely on consumer report.

Thinking about this and thinking about a friend who is having a horrible time of it after a major cancer surgery and the MD has her on a drug for digestive issues and she continues to lose weight, down to 98 lbs she told me yesterday. She is in her 80's and was NOT a supplement person. I often take a pancreatic amino digestive supp for support of my health. She gets help by eating papayas.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-18-2017 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM

345 posts, read 250,322 times
While I would never bother with any of those powders, you can make a case for some supplements.

Having said that, I think that people vastly overestimate the ability of your body to metabolize the contents of a pill. Some stuff, especially things like enzymes, probably don't make it through your stomach intact.

Hypertension is a really interesting one to study as a target for home (or prescription) remedies. The research papers are on (too) small groups, 'solutions' don't seem to effect mortality rates, there's tons of hand waving that goes on.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Which brand? It depends which brand you look at. The ingredients in my Mercola whey protein are "Whey protein concentrate and sunflower lecithin"
I found this company years ago and if money were no object I'd buy a lot of their products...I use goat milk products anyway in my yogurt and cheese. Check them out.

https://www.mtcapra.com/

Old 05-18-2017, 11:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And we know what toxins are in the drugs pushed down the population's throats. Good grief.

Buy from quality sources and you can't go wrong. I'm taking supps over 25 yrs and don't buy the cheapest that's for sure. Do your research. There are many supplement companies in business decades. Most of my life I took great remedies from the beginning of time.

I'd never rely on consumer report.

Thinking about this and thinking about a friend who is having a horrible time of it after a major cancer surgery and the MD has her on a drug for digestive issues and she continues to lose weight, down to 98 lbs she told me yesterday. She is in her 80's and was NOT a supplement person. I often take a pancreatic amino digestive supp for support of my health. She gets help by eating papayas.
Basically none - toxins means something specific - it doesn't just mean "something I don't like". A toxin is a "an antigenic poison or venom of plant or animal origin"
Yea, that's right, naturally occurring! The irony is lost I'm sure.

Pharmaceutical drugs are highly regulated - we know exactly whats in them, what their side effects are, and the level of quality control.

Herbal supplements, nutritional supplements etc, especially small brand ones bought off the internet are basically a crapshoot ranging from harmless ingredients which are not what you thought you were buying, to the thing that it says it is, to things which are downright dangerous.

Great remedies from the beginning of time currently not working out great are phlebotomy, mercury and holding a posy of orang peel and flowers in front of your noise to avoid getting bacterial infections like bubonic plague

Its one thing to come on here and tell us grape seed extract (GSE) is the greatest medicine known to mankind, but where do you get off continually casually condemning medicines that have actually been tested, and required to list each and every side effect that they have (EVERYTHING biologically active has a side effect, including GSE) - so easy in today's world - yet gape opened mouth in acceptance at any half-cocked asserted "alternative' medicine that any snake-oil salesman can make up? Like that link you posted "for information" the other day where the guy was questioning whether viruses even exist.
Jeeze Louise.

How about sticking to what you think is good, and leave it at that.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM

678 posts, read 438,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I wonder if those huge jars of whey powder and other protein powders are dangerous to our health since the FDA doesn't regard them to be drugs and therefore aren't tested as drugs would be tested for safety. Those nutrients are approached by the FDA as foods and are no more tested than any food in a food store. So who knows what is dumped into those big containers of powder.

After I started taking the whey powder I got a hearing infection and hearing loss. I cannot attribute that to the whey product but I just think that there might be something in there that is causing this problem with my hearing. Just a guess.
Forget whey powder, & stop wasting your money. - Instead enjoy... quality proteins like Organic fresh eggs cooked, & lamb which is easily digested.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 rainbows View Post
Forget whey powder, & stop wasting your money. - Instead enjoy... quality proteins like Organic fresh eggs cooked, & lamb which is easily digested.
Whey protein is one of the highest quality and quickest digesting proteins available.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Supplements can be dangerous. I was in a health food store once and a bottle of supplements fell off the top rack and clunked me in the head. I was woozy for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements