Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:29 AM

282 posts, read 232,630 times

Advertisements

I see threads saying "Oh I take this because it prevents..." and "My ND recommends that to ward off the flu" and so on. I'm not asking about the supplements themselves. I'm asking how many of them do you take every week to prevent illness, and which illnesses are you preventing?

I ask because a lot of these things people saying they're preventing, are things they aren't likely to get, or are too young to get and will probably get later on in life whether they take something now or not.

As for me, I don't take supplements regularly. In the winter I take one daily to reduce symptoms (preventing severe symptoms) of Seasonal Affective Disorder (a little more severe than the normal winter blues, for me). So that'd be 7 pills per week, for around 6-8 weeks maximum. For me it's more of a treatment than a prevention so strictly speaking, I don't take any supplements for prevention at all.

How about the rest of you? How many supplement pills/teas/powders/however else they're consumed do you take/drink every week to prevent illnesses, and which illnesses are you preventing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:42 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I just take fish oil to reduce inflammation, and a b complex to help with my energy level.

I add green powder (spirulina, and a bunch of stuff) to my gym drink for general health.

I drink tons of ginger water I make, because I love it and it's good for me. I made matcha thai latte with fresh tumeric. It's a combo of what I like, and things that are good for me and reduce inflammation (autoimmune problems).

And kombucha, I have a jar of that going. I think it's important to keep up the flora in your digestive system, so I drink that (I like it), along with yogurt, kim chee and stuff like that.

And psyllium because I tend towards constipation.....

I take stuff more to manage what I have than to ward stuff off. I just try to eat very healthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-07-2017, 10:57 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've been taking supplements for 25+ yrs and if it were not for advancing arthritis I would be in tip top condition at 79. OA in my body is advancing and it started at 18. I am taking glucosamine daily now on-going and maybe I can save myself from knee replacement which I dread doing. I just went thru a 4.5 month hospital/rehab issue due to staph infection in knee, long long story which I've talked about here.

My favorite supps are:

Grape Seed Extract
Magnesium
Lutein for eye health
Oils, Omega 3 and Primrose and Black Current (some times)
Desiccated thyroid (rx)

I take others as well and am forever trying herbals etc for arthritis issues.

I don't get colds, flu, headaches, and other health issues as I've been taking Grape Seed Ex for 22 yrs and give this supp so much credit for my overall good health.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 PM

I'm not asking which supplements people take, or what your favorites are. I'm asking HOW MANY supplements (an actual number value, like - 5, or 273, for example) you take weekly, to prevent illness.

Do you take only grapeseed oil 3 times per day, 7 days per week, to prevent Amos Disorder? Then that means the answer to my question is: 21. You take 21 pills per week to prevent illness.

That's what I'm asking.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:02 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
There's no way to answer your question because "how much" will depend on which supplement you are talking about, what you are using it for, and also your physical details (I mean dosing also depends on things like weight). The answers will be completely different for different things.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
I'm not asking which supplements people take, or what your favorites are. I'm asking HOW MANY supplements (an actual number value, like - 5, or 273, for example) you take weekly, to prevent illness.

Do you take only grapeseed oil 3 times per day, 7 days per week, to prevent Amos Disorder? Then that means the answer to my question is: 21. You take 21 pills per week to prevent illness.

That's what I'm asking.
If you are asking how many I can't answer that, it varies and I'm not going to do a count. We are all different anyway. And I don't use grape seed oil as I use grape seed extract capsules and take most days NOW, 1 200mg grape seed ex and 1 500mg grape seed, these are different and I am NOW combining these two. So on grape seed supps, I take 2 daily, 7 days per week.

And yes, I got rid of allergy/sinus drugs and allergist doctors now over 22 yrs ago. Worth every capsule I've taken.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
There's no way to answer your question because "how much" will depend on which supplement you are talking about, what you are using it for, and also your physical details (I mean dosing also depends on things like weight). The answers will be completely different for different things.
I thought I was pretty clear:

I"m talking about any supplements, using it for preventative health care, and dosing, no matter how much or how little is in each dose.

I'll give another example since I guess I wasn't clear:

Sue, who is mostly healthy except for an occasional runny nose due to hayfever, takes fish oil to prevent blood clotting, twice a day. She takes calcium for her bones, once a day. She drinks a cup of chamomile tea every night to prevent insomnia. She takes echinacea with goldenseal at the beginning of every cold and flu season, to prevent colds and flus, but it's not a weekly thing. She also drinks a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every morning to prevent general malaise, and has a capsule of shark liver oil once a week to prevent cancer.

So - that's:
2x7 fish oil = 14
1x7 calcium = 7
1x7 chamomile = 7
1x7 vinegar = 7
1x1 shark oil = 1

14 + 7 + 7 + 7 + 1 = 36 doses of some sort of supplement or another, every week, for preventative reasons.
Note, she isn't sick, she's not at any more risk of illness than anyone else, she's generally healthy.

Also note that Sue doesn't exist, and I have no idea why people take these supplements, they're just the first ones that came to mind, so I made up the doses, in order to have something to show for the hypothetical situation to explain what I meant by "how many." I still don't know why I had to clarify that further, but apparently I did.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Ah, so your question was what each of US happen to use, right? I had thought your question was about the population at large, not forum members specifically.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-07-2017 at 11:55 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 05:38 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been taking supplements for 25+ yrs and if it were not for advancing arthritis I would be in tip top condition at 79. OA in my body is advancing and it started at 18. I am taking glucosamine daily now on-going and maybe I can save myself from knee replacement which I dread doing. I just went thru a 4.5 month hospital/rehab issue due to staph infection in knee, long long story which I've talked about here.

My favorite supps are:

Grape Seed Extract
Magnesium
Lutein for eye health
Oils, Omega 3 and Primrose and Black Current (some times)
Desiccated thyroid (rx)

I take others as well and am forever trying herbals etc for arthritis issues.

I don't get colds, flu, headaches, and other health issues as I've been taking Grape Seed Ex for 22 yrs and give this supp so much credit for my overall good health.
I am on a similar regimen as listed below. Going to add coconut oil capsules. Read a lot of good reports on taking it.

Grape Seed Extract - Immune system booster
Magnesium -Joint health/ regularity
Lutein for eye health
Glucosmanine/Chondroitan - Joint health

Old 10-08-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Ah, so your question was what each of US happen to use, right? I had thought your question was about the population at large, not forum members specifically.
<sigh> Yes I was very specific in that.

From my OP:

Quote:
How about the rest of you? How many supplement pills/teas/powders/however else they're consumed do you take/drink every week to prevent illnesses, and which illnesses are you preventing?
Maybe I just suck at creating discussion threads.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements