Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 33,243 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I have decided to move back to the Syracuse area after a year in Boston. I grew up around Utica but never spent a lot of time in Syracuse and I have no idea what to expect. I guess I'm hoping someone out there has spent a little (or a lot) of time in both places and can give me an idea of how Syracuse compares to Boston, in terms of diversity, cultural events, etc. The lower cost of living of Syracuse goes without saying...

Something I'm going to miss about Boston is how walkable it is - are there any sections of Syracuse with that feel to them? We're still looking for the right neighborhood to rent an apartment, and would love to be able to walk to a park, some restaurants, maybe the gym, and a grocery store or decent convenience store. If it matters, right now we live in Allston, and walk most often to Coolidge Corner.

Is the Armory Square area the only part of Syracuse that can come close to feeling like a substantial city? Are there any asian markets/grocers? Good independent book stores or movie theaters? OH GOD I don't know anything about Syracuse...

Thanks for any input - I really need it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 04:09 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
I'll be able to help answer your questions about the suburbs. Sorry, I'm not much help when it comes to the city neighborhoods. I could never live in the city...too depressing and too many hoodlums. If the city was beatified from top to bottom, and 50,000 Canadians relocated there.... then I'd consider it.

I could never advise someone move to a place I'd never live. That's why I only suggest living in the suburbs.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:44 PM

97 posts, read 416,805 times
The only neighborhood that comes close to a big city feel as far as diversity of options might be the Westcott Street area near the University. Armory Square is bigger and more fun at night, but it also doesn't have housing options.

Writing off the entire area within city limits is pretty brash. Yes, most of the city is not somewhere where I would want to live, but I have my own enlightened little neighborhood on the East Side full of grad students, young families, and also home to the only independent movie theater in the city, Westcott Cinema, as well as bookstores and thrift shops and a bar or two.

At least check out the University area (my home), and while you're there check out the Fried Catfish Burrito at Alto Cinco on Westcott St. or a slice of Spinach Feta pizza at the Varsity on S. Crouse Ave. I owe my multicultural outlook on the world to my parents' choice to raise me within city limits in such a diverse neighborhood, so as far as I'm concerned it's a great neighborhood to raise children in. Just take a trip by Barry Park on a nice weekday evening (Broad St. and Meadowbrook), and watch the pickup soccer games with a mix of people (mostly highschool and grad students) from Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the US to see what I mean.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks to both of you!

kmbell, that was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I actually was in Syracuse this weekend and looked at apartments in both the Westcott and Eastwood areas, and I think you definitely hit the nail on the head about Westcott. I think the only thing that sways me towards Eastwood is the student population in Westcott, being so close to SU. Definitely a neighborhood I see myself spending a lot of time in, though.

Thanks again for the replies - keep them coming! I also wonder which outlying suburbs and communities would be the easiest to commute to, in terms of best highway access, etc., taking into account the winter weather...

Old 01-22-2008, 04:52 AM

97 posts, read 416,805 times
Dewitt is probably the easiest town, as far as the commute is concerned. It's right near the connection to 481, which is an offshoot of 81 and will get you anywhere quickly. The closer side of Manlius is also not a bad drive, and the roads are big enough that they are generally plowed. Another nice neighborhood you might want to check out within city limits is Meadowbrook, which is on the hill next to and back behind Nottingham High School.

The more outlying areas from the University, as I've mentioned somewhere in another thread, are decreasing in terms of student population as they are convinced to stay closer to campus. Meadowbrook has no students (besides highschool students), and Westcott St. near Barry Park, which is the far end of the street, is mostly families.

In the same general vicinity, the area behind Ed Smith Elementary on Broad Street is also very nice and full of big old houses, professors and their families and the like. I, and most of my friends, walked to and from school when we were younger, so being in close proximity is a real plus. It's been a long time since I was a student there, 10 or 15 years, so I can't comment on how the teachers are now, but they were good back then.

If I were home now I'd offer to show you around, but I won't be back in town until the end of February.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 AM

kmbell, thanks again. We settled on a flat in Eastwood, the area seemed very nice and only a mile from my boyfriend's new job. Viewed a couple of places in the Westcott area but they were aimed at students, I think, and the rent was a bit higher as such. No worries, I think we'll be happy in Eastwood. Did see some of the beautiful old houses you referred to, and we'll definitely consider that area if we decide to buy a house.

Can anyone offer some insight regarding 'downtown'? I've been to the Armory Square area once or twice about, gosh, ten years ago, and I liked it a lot. The brick, the independent boutiques and the restaurants. Am I going to find that a lot of downtown is like that, or just Armory Square? What streets/blocks are people referring to when they say "downtown Syracuse," and what will I find there of interest?

Thanks all! Very eager to move, thanks in large part to the info I've found on this site!!

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 43,211 times
I love downtown Syracuse. The Armory Square area is definately the trendy bar and restaurant area. Franklin Square is very new, urban living. Very cool lofts and condos ($$) As usual I will promote Strathmore www.strathmoreneighborhood.com. I like a more urban setting for myself and my family. I don't like to drive too far for my entertainment and my groceries. There is a lot of fun stuff going on in Syr. in the city. I have not had problems with "hoodlums" I have had an awesome city living experience in Syracuse..

Old 05-28-2011, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
I know this is three years late, but ... my advice is if your moving from Boston to Syracuse you're making an insane decision.. Boston is the place to be! near the water, safe and live, diverse, near Providence, even close to NYC--- closer than Syracuse is! To me Syracuse is a town that lives off of ONLY SPORTS, and people with that competitive type nature. Not for me. Your better of moving into Brockton, MA than Syracuse.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM

18 posts, read 28,453 times
Welcome to Syracuse. You will find lots of funky, ethnic restaurants and grocery stores throughout the city - similar to those of Boston. Little Italy has great Italian food. And you will love Eastwood. It's is a good place to live, and walkable to some shops/restaurants/bars. If you're looking for more areas to find good shops which are close to Eastwood, try Butternut Circle, at the intersection of Butternut St and Grant Blvd.. Lots of great places - Peppino's Pizza, Martha's Madness (antiques), Flower shop, Change of Pace - won a wing contest. Steigerwald's butcher shop (famous in the city). Again, Welcome to Syracuse. And - enjoy

Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy4369 View Post
I know this is three years late, but ... my advice is if your moving from Boston to Syracuse you're making an insane decision.. Boston is the place to be! near the water, safe and live, diverse, near Providence, even close to NYC--- closer than Syracuse is! To me Syracuse is a town that lives off of ONLY SPORTS, and people with that competitive type nature. Not for me. Your better of moving into Brockton, MA than Syracuse.
What is this? Seems very random, but there is more to the area than sports and there are diverse neighborhoods and plenty of water in the area. Syracuse's location allows for it to make it easy to take day trips to great cities in the NE, MW and Canada too. Syracuse and Providence are close in population in terms of the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area