Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,203 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I will be moving to Syracuse this August to attend school. I am heavily considering a 2 bedroom in the Rugby Square apartments since most other complexes are either completely booked or not grad-student friendly. I know there was a post about average utilities bill on here, but that thread was about 3 years old ...I was hoping to get a more accurate / updated idea of how much my monthly expenses would be.

So it's a 2 bedroom apartment (not sure about the exact square footage, but it can't be anymore than 850 square feet max). Heat and hot water is included in the rent, so all I would have to pay for is electricity. The stove is electric, and there will be two of us living in this apartment (I included this information to illustrate the likelihood that there would be 2 rooms lighted at the same time, at any given night).

How much on average, is the monthly electric bill for a Syracuse apartment? I have asked this question to Google many times, and I'd get anywhere from $300 to $19. The range is very frustrating. My roommate and I are not energy wasters, but we do love our electronics (tv, computers, gaming systems, etc.) and I do love to cook and make use of the stove and oven. Any ideas, hints, examples, drawings, bar graphs, anything at all would be very, very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'd say more in the $60-$90 range.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say more in the $60-$90 range.
Spot on.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Exactly right. With plenty of cooking and a window AC unit running on the hot days and nights you'd peak at about $90 in the heaviest usage months. I think $70 - $75 would be more typical.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 AM

655 posts, read 2,327,837 times
Default Average Apartment Monthly Electric Bill Syracuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuse11 View Post
Hello!

I will be moving to Syracuse this August to attend school. I am heavily considering a 2 bedroom in the Rugby Square apartments. I was hoping to get a idea of how much my monthly expenses would be.

So it's a 2 bedroom apartment (not sure about the exact square footage, but it can't be anymore than 850 square feet max). Heat and hot water is included in the rent, so all I would have to pay for is electricity. The stove is electric, and there will be two of us living in this apartment (I included this information to illustrate the likelihood that there would be 2 rooms lighted at the same time, at any given night).

How much on average, is the monthly electric bill for a Syracuse apartment? My roommate and I are not energy wasters, but we do love our electronics (tv, computers, gaming systems, etc.) and I do love to cook and make use of the stove and oven. Any ideas, hints, examples, drawings, bar graphs, anything at all would be very, very much appreciated!
Hello syracuse11,

I think you've selected a decent apartment complex located in a safe, quiet family neighborhood located near a shopping plaza at the intersection of Teall Ave. @ Grant Blvd. and other convenient Eastwood businesses on James Street.

Since your heat and hot water are included in your rent, that just leaves an electricity bill to cover a window air conditioner (if necessary), your electronic "toys", and other usual necessary household appliances (stove, refrig, etc.). For the most part, appliances that produce "heat" to do their chore/work use the largest amount of electricity supply. Those type appliances would be such as: stove, bread toaster, electric skillet, countertop oven/rotisserie, countertop deep-pot oil fryer, waffle-maker, a countertop portable griddle/grill for cooking meats/etc., clothes iron, hair dryer, hair curler iron, and similar appliances that produce "heat". You probably will not be using very many of these type portable appliances.

Having said all of this, I think if you budget a maximum of $100 a month for electricity, you will find that you will have part of that $100 LEFT OVER/NOT SPENT when you receive your monthly electric bill. Your electric bill should NEVER EVER be anywhere close to $200 nor $19!

Good luck with your college studies. Welcome to Metro Syracuse.

grdnrman

Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
The above estimates seem to be right on target. My average electric bill, for a 3200 square foot house with electric hot water, range, dryer ect is about $86. The most it's ever been is $125 during an extended heat wave when we used our central air quite a bit. (for us). An apartment should be much less.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
I lived in a 2BR that was approximately 1,000SF. It was all electric with central air and the most my bill was during the summer was around $75. In the winter however, it was upwards of $150, but my heat wasn't included in my rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area