Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:40 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Soon many people will have jobs they don't have to be anyplace at all so they can live anywhere. Cities aren't becoming more relavent they are becoming less.
But that's not the case. This was touched on extensively last night. People can telecommute, but choose not to do so. Whether we're talking about a trading floor on Wall Street, Google's Silicon Valley headquarters, Mayor Bloomberg's bullpen, or a tech firm in Bangalore, physical proximity is essential to how our economy and society function. It's the bedrock of entrepreneurial innovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM

580 posts, read 1,173,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think a lot of interest in urban areas is due to the results of things such as gas prices and sprawl. There is a movement it based more on sustainability and restoration more than necessarily putting suburbia down. Suburbia can vary as well.

I see Glaeser's point about the urban educational system, but I agree Cleveland Park that there are other factors that have to be kept in mind. One that I think gets overlooked is the aspect of assimilation of immigrants in terms of the urban public school setting. Urban districts carry the bulk of immigrants students in an area. In turn, that present another challenge that the bulk of suburban school districts do not have to face. You still get students that perform academically at a high level and go on to college in spite of the statistics. So, it is just a matter of handling one's business in the clasroom, regardless of setting, by and large.

As for the poor, I think that cities due to attributes have always attracted a diverse collection of people around the world. So, I think what an urban setting provides for those that are poor is an infrastructure that is sustainable and allow for them to function in a way that minimizes their alienation or seclusion.
I agree about the education thing, and very well put regarding diversity and the poor.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Seems like afew big cities must have uses, the growth in them is beyond belief.

Gas prices seemed at one point to be something that might herd people back in the cities. Remember the panic 4-5 years ago when gas prices briefly spiked?? Seemed the World had fallen apart and people would be forced to move back into cities.

But gas prices have gone back up and more and you rarely hear much, if any, complaining about it. Smaller cars have replaced the Tahoes for middle income people. Saw an ad in yesterdays PS for the new Toyota Prius, 53 MPG. My Echo only gets 40 and I drive to Syracuse for a loaf of bread if I feel like it.

It looked bleak for suburbia but I think the little Japanese cars have saved the day.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Anutter problem for the actual city of Syracuse moving forward might be the declining need for collages.

From the news it seems the market for Philosophy majors and Russian lit majors is glutted, not many more things for them to occupy.

The online school thing, which seemed crazy to me, really seems to be catching on.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Anutter problem for the actual city of Syracuse moving forward might be the declining need for collages.

From the news it seems the market for Philosophy majors and Russian lit majors is glutted, not many more things for them to occupy.

The online school thing, which seemed crazy to me, really seems to be catching on.
I don't think that the social aspect should be overlooked in terms of college. That aspect also helps the institution in terms of exposure and economically. There is an educational value as well.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
The Syracuse New Times had an excellent Q and A with the new superintendent of the Syracuse City School district.

Learning Curve

It's nice to see a local publication ask detailed questions and dedicate enough print to cover the story; something The Post-Standard has largely abandoned.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think that the social aspect should be overlooked in terms of college. That aspect also helps the institution in terms of exposure and economically. There is an educational value as well.
I got a kid in skhol so I no these things. Just seems like they push these stoopit coarses to hard to give other wise worthless professors jobs. And its breaking government programs meant to help and killing the kids themselves.

Hitting these kids when there heads are full of mush and saddling them with 50K+ in loans to pay off as baristas at Starbucks.

I do believe the system is corrupt and will fail fairly soon. Lotta good things can come from the experiance so I agree with you but the system is broken.

Perhaps in the future something good can raise from the ashes.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The Syracuse New Times had an excellent Q and A with the new superintendent of the Syracuse City School district.

Learning Curve

It's nice to see a local publication ask detailed questions and dedicate enough print to cover the story; something The Post-Standard has largely abandoned.
It is a nice article. I didn't know that she had a hearing impairment. So, it seems like she is willing to be open about things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area